Rose Hips

  • Joanne Clyde
    Message 1 of 20 , Sep 1, 2004
      My husband and I were hiking through a local forest preserve and we came
      across a huge thicket of wild rose bushes that were just covered with rose
      hips. I have also found a recipe for rose hip jelly that I wanted to try to
      make. We picked about 2 cups worth of rose hips, but the recipe calls for
      6. It will probably be a couple of days before we can get back out there
      and pick more. How do I store the ones I've got so that I can make jelly in
      a week or two?

      And, if I can't ever get a full 6 cups of rose hips, what else can I use
      them for?

      Thanks!
      Geertruyt

    • Jenn Carter
      Message 2 of 20 , Sep 1, 2004
        I don't know about storing them except for putting them in an airtight
        container and refrigerating them. Left out they will dry up.

        The skins can be eaten as is (rather unflavorful waxy texture), just
        pinch/cut out the seeds. Dried they can be used in teas. I've heard of
        freezing them but don't know how this effects them (make them mushy?). And
        finally, my Grandma used to make a syrup (reduction?) out of them to give
        the kids for their daily dose of vitamin C in the winter. From what I hear
        it didn't taste all that great without lots of sugar.

        Lady Alamanda

        > My husband and I were hiking through a local forest preserve and we came
        > across a huge thicket of wild rose bushes that were just covered with rose
        > hips. I have also found a recipe for rose hip jelly that I wanted to try
        > make. We picked about 2 cups worth of rose hips, but the recipe calls for
        > 6. It will probably be a couple of days before we can get back out there
        > and pick more. How do I store the ones I've got so that I can make jelly
        in
        > a week or two?
        >
        > And, if I can't ever get a full 6 cups of rose hips, what else can I use
        > them for?
        >
        > Thanks!
        > Geertruyt

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Jenn Carter
        Message 3 of 20 , Sep 1, 2004
          By the way, have you had your first frost there yet? Rose hips do get
          sweeter after a frost.

          'Manda

          > My husband and I were hiking through a local forest preserve and we came
          > across a huge thicket of wild rose bushes that were just covered with rose
          > hips. I have also found a recipe for rose hip jelly that I wanted to try
          > make. We picked about 2 cups worth of rose hips, but the recipe calls for
          > 6. It will probably be a couple of days before we can get back out there
          > and pick more. How do I store the ones I've got so that I can make jelly
          in
          > a week or two?
          >
          > And, if I can't ever get a full 6 cups of rose hips, what else can I use
          > them for?
          >
          > Thanks!
          > Geertruyt

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

        • Rhonda Kountz
          Message 4 of 20 , Sep 1, 2004
            As a child living in Alaska, we used to pick them and eat them right off the
            bush.(cut them open and scrape out the seeds and fuzz first). They were
            pretty tasty as I reemember. This was long before we found out they were
            actually good for us!
            Roma

          • Joanne Clyde
            Message 5 of 20 , Sep 1, 2004
              No, no frost yet...however, I am unemployed this week and can spend time
              tromping in the woods, tracking mud in the house, scratching up my hands and
              arms, and making jams and jellies. However, when my job starts next week, I
              won't have the time to do that. :( So, I'm doing it now.

              The recipe does call for 7 cups of sugar for 6 cups of rose hips so it
              "should" be plenty sweet. (Especially as the rosehips get boiled down and
              "Juiced" first to actually make 4 cups of rose hip juice to the 7 cups of
              sugar)

              Geertruyt

              **

              Message 6 of 20 , Sep 1, 2004
                Wouldn't mind a copy of that recipe myself as i love rosehips in general and
                jam in particular. Unfortunatelt, here in the dessert, all i can find is
                dried rosehips. :(
                Roma

                >From: "Joanne Clyde" <jmknoppe@...>
                >To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
                >Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Rose Hips
                >Date: Wed, 01 Sep 2004 13:31:01 -0500
                >

                >No, no frost yet...however, I am unemployed this week and can spend time
                >tromping in the woods, tracking mud in the house, scratching up my hands
                >and
                >arms, and making jams and jellies. However, when my job starts next week,
                >won't have the time to do that. :( So, I'm doing it now.
                >
                >The recipe does call for 7 cups of sugar for 6 cups of rose hips so it
                >"should" be plenty sweet. (Especially as the rosehips get boiled down and
                >"Juiced" first to actually make 4 cups of rose hip juice to the 7 cups of
                >sugar)
                >
                >Geertruyt
                >
                >**
                >By the way, have you had your first frost there yet? Rose hips do get
                >sweeter after a frost.
                >
                >'Manda
                >**

                >FREE pop-up blocking with the new MSN Toolbar � get it now!

                >Yahoo! Groups Links

              • Joanne Clyde
                Message 7 of 20 , Sep 1, 2004
                  Since I've never tried this recipe before, I'm going to wait until after I
                  make the jelly. That way, if it turns out... I'll know I've got a good
                  recipe and I'll share it, very happily too! If it doesn't turn out...I'll
                  be moaning away on the message board about the 6 cups of rose hips I wasted
                  on a cockamamie recipe that didn't work... :-)

                  Geertruyt

                  p.s. is there anyone in the Illinois area that has fresh rose hips that
                  wouldn't mind sharing. I'll share a jar of jelly with them if it turns out!
                  I've got 2 cups after one tromp in the woods, I'm expecting to get
                  approximately the same after my tromp in the woods tomorrow, any donations
                  would be very much appreciated!

                  ***
                  Wouldn't mind a copy of that recipe myself as i love rosehips in general and
                  jam in particular. Unfortunatelt, here in the dessert, all i can find is
                  dried rosehips. :(
                  Roma
                  ***

                • snielsen97004
                  Message 8 of 20 , Sep 2, 2004
                    --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "Joanne Clyde" <jmknoppe@h...> wrote:
                    > The recipe does call for 7 cups of sugar for 6 cups of rose hips so it
                    > "should" be plenty sweet. (Especially as the rosehips get boiled down and
                    > "Juiced" first to actually make 4 cups of rose hip juice to the 7 cups of
                    > sugar)

                    Honey would be a more authentic sweetener, and will give a different flavor than cane or beet sugar. That is, if you want to have some idea how the preparation might have tasted to medieval tongues. You can find conversion proportions for sugar to honey in Joy of Cooking. I have that information somewhere, but not at my fingertips just now. Can maybe come up with it, though, if it's needed.

                    AEbsynth
                  • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
                    Message 9 of 20 , Sep 8, 2004
                      > > The recipe does call for 7 cups of sugar for 6 cups of rose hips so it
                      > > "should" be plenty sweet. (Especially as the rosehips get boiled down and
                      > > "Juiced" first to actually make 4 cups of rose hip juice to the 7 cups of
                      > > sugar)
                      >
                      > Honey would be a more authentic sweetener, and will give a different flavor than cane or beet sugar. That is, if you want to have some idea how the preparation might have tasted to medieval tongues. You can find conversion proportions for sugar to honey in Joy of Cooking. I have that information somewhere, but not at my fingertips just now. Can maybe come up with it, though, if it's needed.

                      Actually, there are lots of preserve recipes from later on (1500s) that
                      call for sugar.

                      "If you have no faith in yourself, then have faith in the things
                      you call truth. You know what must be done. You may not have courage
                      or trust or understanding or the will to do it, but you know what must
                      be done. You can't turn back. There is no answer behind you. You
                      fear what you cannot name. So look at it and find a name for it.
                      Turn your face forward and learn. Do what must be done." - McKillip
                    • Joanne Clyde
                      Message 10 of 20 , Sep 8, 2004
                        I have thought about how to make the recipe more period, so any information
                        about the honey would be cool. However, this time around, I'm going to make
                        it the way the recipe calls for. Then, when I know what to expect ('cause
                        I've never made this before), I'll mess with it! :-)

                        And as I do have a later period persona, sugar would still be "period." For
                        me, but I gotta try the honey at least once... :)

                        Thanks!
                        Joanne

                        p.s. I currently have only 4 cups of rose hips... need 2 more cups... will
                        go tromping again this evening... still accepting donations of rose hips....
                        (ifn' ya want to donate) ;)

                        ***

                      • lilinah@earthlink.net
                        Message 11 of 20 , Sep 8, 2004
                          Authentic for what time and what location?

                          Sugar was used to make rose petal jam, rose syrup, and all manner of
                          candies and sweets well before the 13th century in al-Andalus and the
                          Levant.

                          Sugar is an ingredient in foods in Europe in the late 14th century,
                          although not necessarily a primary ingredient, as it is with
                          preserves.

                          When i did a late period German feast (mostly 16th c.), however, i
                          found that sugar was not used much, and honey was the sweetener of
                          choice.

                          Personally, i find that the flavor of honey is so strong that it
                          often interferes with the taste of the ingredient being preserved in
                          it. I have sometimes used a mix of honey and sugar to tone down the
                          honey taste - which i did with the 13th C. Andalusian spiced carrot
                          paste, which is remarkably like an Indian sweet a Farsi friend of
                          mine likes, and a modern Persian sweet, sometimes called "spoon
                          fruit" - and it is possible they are all related.

                          As for beet sugar, it isn't really period for the SCA anyway. And if
                          the granulated sugar you buy does NOT say "pure cane sugar" on the
                          label, it is either beet sugar or a mix of beet and cane sugar. While
                          most people cannot tell by tasting, there is a difference in behavior
                          in some types of cooking, especially making candy and pastries.

                          Anahita
                        • Beth Ann Bretter
                          Message 12 of 20 , Sep 9, 2004
                            > And, if I can't ever get a full 6 cups of rose hips,
                            > what else can I use
                            > them for?

                            This is late and you've probably already found a
                            billion extremely interesting ways to use your rose
                            hips but have you considered making rose hip wine?

                            I Googled for recipes and oddly enough found a post I
                            sent to the Rialto at the Florilegium with a bunch of
                            my reseaerch in rose hip wine at the time (I was a
                            just a lowly AoA and not even an apprentice at the
                            time)

                            Here it is in case you're interested:

                            Date: Sun, 5 Oct 1997 09:33:03 -0400 (EDT)
                            From: Ladypeyton at aol.com
                            Subject: SC - Rose Hip Wine Recipe

                            I used dried Rose Hips, but I included all the
                            information for using fresh that I could find in my
                            books. Note: the only period recipes I could find
                            was from either Apicius or Pliny and used only Rose
                            Petals. The recipe makes 1 gallon. If you are using
                            a larger carboy then just multiply the ingredients
                            accordingly.

                            - -1 gallon water
                            - -6oz dried rose hips soaked overnight (keep the
                            water) or 2 lbs fresh make sure they are unsprayed
                            - -1 1/2 lbs white sugar + 1/2 lb brown sugar or 3 lbs
                            light (read table) honey
                            - -1 tsp acid blend + 1 squeeze lemon juice or juice
                            of 1 lemon
                            - -1 tsp yeast nutrient
                            - -5 drops pectic enzyme (liquid) or 1/2 tsp (powder)
                            - -1 cup white grape juice concentrate (I used
                            Welch's)
                            - -1 packet Wine Yeast (I used Premier Cuvee)
                            - -OPTIONAL 1 Campden Tablet (I never use campden
                            tablets because I don't like sulfites in my wine A LOT
                            of people are allergic to sulfites and don't realize
                            it therefore assuming they can't tolerate wine when it
                            is an (I believe)unneeded additive they are reacting
                            to.)

                            *Acid blend, yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, wine yeast
                            are all available at your local wine making supply
                            store. There is probably one in your area if
                            you really look. I was surprised to find I have more
                            than 4 within a half hour drive. On the other hand I
                            live in Philadelphia. If you absolutely cannot find a
                            supplier there are several mail order catalogs
                            available and several suppliers on the web. *

                            Rinse and pick over your rose hips. If your rose hips
                            are dried soak overnight & drain (save liquid) if they
                            are fresh then coarsely chop them in a blender. Put
                            the rose hips in a jelly bag or a nylon straining bag.
                            Place in the bottom of your primary fermenter. Mash
                            them with your sanitized hands. Pour sugar over bag.
                            Pour hot water (not boiling) over bag and sugar
                            and stir until the sugar is dissolved . If you use
                            honey then do boil the honey & water together for at
                            20 minutes (breaks down the honey & helps your
                            finished product to clear quicker & easier). Cool
                            slightly before pouring over rose hips. When tepid
                            add acid, yeast nutrient, grape juice & if you use one
                            the campden tablet. If you do not use the campden
                            tablet then must cools add pectic enzyme & wine yeast.
                            If you do use campden tablet then wait 12 hours then
                            add pectic enzyme 12 hours later add yeast. Cover
                            tightly & fit with an air lock. Stir daily squishing
                            the bag for a week. After 2 weeks siphon into a glass
                            carboy & fit with an air lock. After 4 more weeks
                            rack to a clean carboy (I usually siphon into my
                            primary fermenter, clean the carboy I've been using
                            all along & siphon back into the carboy) I top off
                            the carboy with the soaking water I saved at the
                            beginning of the procedure. You can also top off with
                            white grape juice although the added sugar will extend
                            your fermenting process. After 2 more weeks you
                            should be able to bottle your wine. 1 gallon must
                            makes about 4 bottles wine.

                            A primary fermenter is a pail with a cover that is
                            made out of food grade plastic. It is available at
                            your wine making supply store for at $10. A carboy
                            is a glass container that looks like the top of a
                            water cooler upside down and is at $5 to $15
                            depending on the size. Air locks are little water
                            locks that fit into rubber bungs that fit into 1)the
                            hole drilled into the top of the primary fermenter
                            cover (small bung) & 2) the opening in the carboy
                            (larger bung). You will need 2 rubber bungs (1 of
                            each size). Air locks & rubber bungs are at $1
                            each.

                            You must always sanitize your equipment before
                            starting. There are sterilizing agents sold at supply
                            stores or you can use the same bleach mixture used to
                            wash dishes at events. I use a compound called "One
                            Step" no rinsing is needed with this compound as it
                            cleans with oxygen. At any other time you MUST rinse
                            your equipment after it is sterilized. Please be
                            strict with your sterilization. Don't even so much as
                            use a spoon to stir the must if you haven't prepared
                            it. Same with your hands.

                            I just had Adrian, who is wine making illiterate, read
                            over this to see if I've left anything undefined and
                            he said it was pretty easy to understand. However, he
                            may have picked up some of the lingo by osmosis so if
                            I've left anything unclear, undefined or unexplained
                            please let me know. I'm preparing to teach an
                            introduction to wine making class and am still trying
                            to work the lingo out of my presentation. I'm pretty
                            nervous as this will be my first expedition into
                            teaching.

                            By the way the Apicius recipe went: Make rose wine in
                            this manner: rose petals, the lower white part
                            removed, sewed into a linen bag and immersed in
                            wine for seven days. Thereupon add a sack of new
                            petals which allow to draw for another seven days.
                            Again remove the old petals and replace them by fresh
                            ones for another week; then strain the wine through
                            the colander. Before serving add honey sweetening to
                            taste. Take care that only the best petals free from
                            dew be used for soaking.

                            Peyton

                            http://shopping.yahoo.com/backtoschool
                          • Sharon Nevin
                            Message 13 of 20 , Feb 23, 2006
                              This year my Apothecary's Roses have produced a large amount of hips, large
                              enough to do something with. I would to make something of them, but unsure
                              what. I was wondering if anybody had any recipes, period sources, etc that
                              they could suggest or point me in the direction of where to look please.

                              Thank you,
                              Sharon Nevin
                            • Carowyn Silveroak
                              Message 14 of 20 , Feb 23, 2006
                                Hello!

                                > This year my Apothecary's Roses have produced a large amount of hips,
                                > large enough to do something with.

                                jealous jealous jealous.....I tried to get an apothecary rose, but it
                                never came....

                                > I would to make something of them, but unsure
                                > what. I was wondering if anybody had any recipes, period sources,
                                > etc that they could suggest or point me in the direction of where to
                                look
                                > please.

                                A bit out of period, but still good:

                                Rose Recipes from Olden Times, Eleanour Sinclair Rohde, Dover book, 1973,
                                isbn 0-486-22957-2

                                Enjoy! Hope it helps!

                                -Carowyn
                              • otsisto
                                Message 15 of 20 , Feb 24, 2006
                                  Not period as far as I know but good to have:
                                  From Home Cooking
                                  Drying Rose Hips and Rose Hips Puree

                                  Just after a frost is the best time to gather rose hips. Snap off the tails
                                  as you pick,or later when you reach home. Spread the hips out on a clean
                                  surface and allow to dry partially. When the skins begin to feel dried and
                                  shriveled, split the hips and take out the large seeds -- all of them. If
                                  you let the hips dry too much, it will be difficult to remove the seeds. If
                                  not dry enough, the inside pulp will be sticky and cling to the seeds. After
                                  the seeds are removed, allow the hips to dry completely before storing or
                                  they will not keep well. Store in small, sealed plastic bags. These will
                                  keep indefinitely in the freezer or for several months in the refrigerator.
                                  They are packed with vitamin C and are good to munch on anytime you need
                                  extra energy...or a moderately sweet nutlike "candy."

                                  Making Puree:
                                  Use soft ripe rose hips (the riper they are, the sweeter they are). It takes
                                  about 4 cups (1 Litre) of rose hips to make 2 cups (480 ml) of puree. Remove
                                  stalks and blossom ends. Rinse berries in cold water. Put them into a pan
                                  and add enough water to almost cover. Bring to a boil and simmer 10 to 15
                                  minutes. Press through a sieve or strainer. All that does not go through the
                                  sieve is placed in the pan again. Add a little water, enough to almost
                                  cover, if you want a thicker puree, add slightly less. This time heat but do
                                  not boil so vigorously. This will dissolve a little more of the fruit so
                                  that it will go through the sieve. Press again and then repeat the process
                                  one more time. By now, most of the fruit should have gone through the sieve
                                  leaving only seeds and skin to discard.

                                  Drying Puree:
                                  Line a cookie sheet, 12 by 17 inches (30 by 42 cm), with plastic wrap. This
                                  size cookie sheet holds approximately 2 cups (480ml) of puree. Spread puree
                                  or fruit leather evenly over the plastic but do not push it completely to
                                  the sides. Leave a bit of plastic showing for easy removal. Place on a card
                                  table or picnic table in the hot sun to dry. If the plastic is bigger than
                                  the cookie sheet and extends up the sides, anchor it with clothes pins so it
                                  will not flop down and cover the edges of the leather. Puree should dry in
                                  the sun six to eight hours.
                                • hillwizard2@aol.com
                                  Message 16 of 20 , Feb 24, 2006
                                    In a message dated 2/24/2006 1:54:32 A.M. Pacific Standard Time, otsisto@... writes:
                                    After
                                    the seeds are removed, allow the hips to dry completely before storing or
                                    they will not keep well. Store in small, sealed plastic bags. These will
                                    keep indefinitely in the freezer or for several months in the refrigerator.
                                    They are packed with vitamin C and are good to munch on
                                    I can't prove when drying rose hips started, but it must have been before  600 It is a basic way of storage.  it kept dry and in the dark they will stay good for two years.

                                    Mike the Hillwizard

                                    "We don't know why, but it seems that men don't get bacterial vaginosis"
                                    from a Health Education Authority leaflet
                                  • Adhaniá
                                    Message 17 of 20 , Mar 1 5:29 PM
                                      Looking at photos over at
                                      http://www.richters.com/Web_store/web_store.cgi?product=X5015-040&cart_id=4768502.29245 ,
                                      this looks a lot like the wild roses that grow in the Beautiful Pacific
                                      Northwest.

                                      Is there a difference?

                                      Thanks!
                                      Adhaniá of Ols

                                      > > This year my Apothecary's Roses have produced a large amount of hips,
                                      > > large enough to do something with.
                                      >
                                      > jealous jealous jealous.....I tried to get an apothecary rose, but it
                                      > never came....
                                      >
                                      > > I would to make something of them, but unsure
                                      > > what. I was wondering if anybody had any recipes, period sources,
                                      > > etc that they could suggest or point me in the direction of where to
                                      > look
                                      > > please.
                                      >
                                      > A bit out of period, but still good:
                                      >
                                      > Rose Recipes from Olden Times, Eleanour Sinclair Rohde, Dover book, 1973,
                                      > isbn 0-486-22957-2
                                      >
                                      > Enjoy! Hope it helps!
                                      >
                                      > -Carowyn

                                      > Yahoo! Groups Links

                                      It has removed 2948 spam emails to date.
                                      Try www.SPAMfighter.com for free now!
                                    • hillwizard2@aol.com
                                      Message 18 of 20 , Mar 1 6:58 PM
                                        In a message dated 3/1/2006 5:33:09 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, skyspinner@... writes:
                                        Looking at photos over at
                                        http://www.richters.com/Web_store/web_store.cgi?product=X5015-040&cart_id=4768502.29245 ,
                                        this looks a lot like the wild roses that grow in the Beautiful Pacific
                                        Northwest.

                                        Is there a difference?
                                        yes here is a picture of Rosa nutkana

                                        Mike the Hillwizard

                                        "We didn't lose, we weren't beaten, we just came in second."
                                      • Adhaniá
                                        Message 19 of 20 , Mar 2 7:56 PM
                                          Thank you.....is this the one they call "Nootka Rose"?

                                          Does it have any known medicinal uses?

                                          Adhaniá of Ols

                                          snip
                                          yes here is a picture of Rosa nutkana

                                          Mike the Hillwizard

                                          "We didn't lose, we weren't beaten, we just came in second."

                                          It has removed 2963 spam emails to date.
                                          Try SPAMfighter for free now!
                                        • hillwizard2@aol.com
                                          Message 20 of 20 , Mar 2 10:57 PM
                                            In a message dated 3/2/2006 8:50:37 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, skyspinner@... writes:
                                            Does it have any known medicinal uses?

                                            Adhaniá of Ols
                                            Use it like any rose - fragrant for fun and Aroma therapy, potpourri, rosewater.  and the hips have lots of C.  It has a strong fragrant but not many petals so it takes more work to gather them

                                            Mike the Hillwizard

                                            In the days of lace-ruffles, perukes, and brocade
                                            Brown Bess was a partner whom none could despise --
                                            An out-spoken, flinty-lipped, brazen-faced jade,
                                            With a habit of looking men straight in the eyes --
                                            At Blenheim and Ramillies, fops would confess
                                            They were pierced to the heart by the charms of Brown Bess.