RE: [SCA-Herbalist] Gout Remedies

  • Rhonda Kountz
    Message 1 of 6 , Aug 25, 2004
      I read somewhere at work that cherry and cherry juice is good for gout,
      taken internally, of course!

      Roma

      >From: "Alamanda de Claret" <jenn@...>
      >To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] Gout Remedies
      >Date: Fri, 20 Aug 2004 15:34:24 -0000
      >
      >I have someone who is interested in herbalism and who is seeking
      >something to relieve his gout. He mentioned once having a topical
      >rub made with chamomile. Does anyone have any medieval and/or modern
      >recipes to create ointments and suggestions of other herbs that I may
      >share with him.
      >
      >Lady Alamanda

    • carrig37421
      Message 2 of 6 , Aug 25, 2004
        That's the first I'd heard of using cherry - ran a google on 'gout
        cherry' and it seems to be very well documented.

        I suspect that cranberry juice would also work, flushing uric acid
        from the bloodstream, might be easier to find in grocery store too.
        Then there's always dandelion tea - they didn't call it 'piss-a-bed'
        for nothing ;)

        Carrig

        --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "Rhonda Kountz" <roma1358@h...>
        wrote:
        > I read somewhere at work that cherry and cherry juice is good for gout,
        > taken internally, of course!
        >
        > Roma
      • Beth Ann Bretter
        Message 3 of 6 , Aug 26, 2004
          According to my Father-in-Law's aromatherapy books the
          following essential oil recipe is good for gout. Into
          2 ounces of olive oil add 5 drops juniperberry oil, 5
          drops of rosemary oil and 5 drops of chamomile
          oil(either german or Roman will do). Shake well and
          massage daily into joint.

          Peyton

          http://mobile.yahoo.com/maildemo
        • Alamanda de Claret
          Message 4 of 6 , Aug 26, 2004
            Which books were they? I'm always interested in added good
            recommendation to my library wish list. Any favorite scents? I
            like anything strong as I have a very poor sniffer. I do some
            massage and mostly stick to Sandalwood, Lavendar and Peppermint oils
            (not mixed together) as my victims find those the most pleasant.

            'Manda

            (snip) According to my Father-in-Law's aromatherapy books