Re: Mints w/ repellant properties

  • Cathlin
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 18, 2004
      Just about any member of the mint family will tend to
      repel bugs, but the one you're thinking of probably is
      pennyroyal. (A lovely plant to grow around the base of
      roses, btw, as it is quite low and unobtrusive and it
      discourages the ants that otherwise would use the
      roses as their aphid farms.)

      Pennyroyal leaf or oil is moderately effective at
      repelling many bugs. The oil shouldn't be applied
      directly to the skin, though - at least, not full
      strength. For my dogs, I used to find got better
      effects with a pennyroyal-scented bandana around the
      neck than with a far more toxic flea collar.