Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Fly repellant

  • Eleyn Scrivener
    Message 1 of 6 , Jul 17 9:50 PM
      I hear wormwood, mugwort, tansy and rosemary work too.

      Eleyn
      From: "dragones1" <seawitch@...>
      Date: Tue, 13 Jul 2004 18:27:30 -0000

      >I recall a discussion recently on peppermint or some herb being used
      >to repel flies. Can anyone tell me which one it is? I wanted to make a
      >spray up for Great western war to put around the camp or maybe some
      >potted herbs for the tables. Thanks
      >
      >Tegan
    • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 6 , Jul 19 6:41 AM
        > I recall a discussion recently on peppermint or some herb being used
        > to repel flies. Can anyone tell me which one it is? I wanted to make a
        > spray up for Great western war to put around the camp or maybe some
        > potted herbs for the tables. Thanks

        Traditionally, Tansy is supposed to combat flies. Bunches of tansy with
        flowers could be an interesting camp accent; let us know how it works.

        "I mean I'm sittin here on the Group W bench 'cause you want to know if
        I'm moral enough join the army, burn women, kids, houses and villages
        after bein' a litterbug." -- Arlo Guthrie
      • Rhonda Kountz
        Message 3 of 6 , Jul 19 3:30 PM
          It was written on the packet of medicinal herbal seeds I acquired. Here is
          all the info the packet held.
          Roma

          PEPPERMINT

          Mentha x piperita

          USES: indigestion

          MEDICINAL USES: Peppermint leaves make a flavorful tea hat is considered one
          of the best herbal remedies for indigestion. The tea is used for flatulence,
          intestinal colic, heartburn and nausea. Peppermint tea is also valued as a
          decongestant for sinus, nasal and chest congestion. Peppermint leaves are
          added to bathwater for another form of congestion relief as well as to aid
          muscle relaxation.

          PARTS USED: Leaves

          IN THE GARDEN: This spreading perennial has aromatic foliage with red-tinged
          stems and dark green leaves. Spikes of violet flowers bloom in summer.
          Attractive in borders and containers. Hardy from zones 4 to 10.

          CULINARY USE: Add to beverages, salads, jellies, desserts and candies.

          OTHER USES: Use in sachets, potpourris, dried wreaths. A mint sachet is used
          to repel flies and moths.

          TYPICAL PREPARATIONS

          TEA: Steep 1 to 2 teaspoons dried leaves or 2 teaspoons fresh crushed leaves
          in 1 cup boiling water for 10 minutes. Strain to remove herbs and drink 1
          cup liquid up to 3 times daily.

          BATH: Add 1 to 2 handfuls fresh or dried leaves to bathwater.

          The website your boss doesn't want you to see!
          http://www.sixfigureincome.com/?610417