FW: Catnip

  • Beth Beaver
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 6 7:28 AM
      Anybody have an answer to this one?

      Thanks

      Lady Elia

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Linda [mailto:lkrecker107@...]
      Sent: July 05, 2004 5:10 PM
      To: beth@...
      Subject: Catnip

      In your copious spare time, can you answer a query for me, please.
      there is discussion on the mid-east list about Sekanjabin with catnip
      in it. Some people say it is Ok and others say it is not. Since you
      have more resources, can you please either let us know or ask the
      Herbal list?

      thanks

      Rhianwen
    • Brenda Billings
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 6 10:02 AM
        it won't hurt you, but unless you have mutant catnip it won't have the
        strong mint flavor that peppermint or spearmint can give. Catnip tea is
        good (like most mint varietals) for upset stomach both in us and kitties.

        I'm sure when the rest of the guru's get home from working for a living
        thre will be more and more detailed answers.

        Mieka

        At 08:28 AM 7/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
        >Anybody have an answer to this one?
        >
        >Thanks
        >
        >Lady Elia

      • Beth Beaver
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 6 10:19 AM
          Understood. I don't think she meant replace the mint with catnip just
          adding catnip also. I will pass on the information.

          Thank you!

          Lady Elia

          it won't hurt you, but unless you have mutant catnip it won't have the
          strong mint flavor that peppermint or spearmint can give. Catnip tea is
          good (like most mint varietals) for upset stomach both in us and kitties.

          I'm sure when the rest of the guru's get home from working for a living
          thre will be more and more detailed answers.

          Mieka

          At 08:28 AM 7/6/2004 -0600, you wrote:
          >Anybody have an answer to this one?
          >
          >Thanks
          >
          >Lady Elia

        • Rhonda Kountz
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 6 6:32 PM
            According to my book, catnip is settling to the stomache, sedative, and
            since it powerfully stimulates sweating, fever reducing. Its pleasant taste
            and gentle action make it suitable for colds, flu and fever in children,
            especially when it is mixed with elderflower and honey.Catnip is m,arkedly
            antiflatulent, settling indigestion and colic, and is also useful in
            treating headaches related to digestive problems.
            However, in the folklore section it says, "it provokes urination and
            menstruation; it expels the stillborn child; it opens obstruction of the
            lungs and the womb, and it is good for internal bruises and shortness of
            breath. drunk with salt and honey, it expels worms from the body." (K'Eogh,
            in his Irish Herbal, 1735.)
            If you decide to try it in Sekanjabin, I would start with a VERY mild
            infusion, as it is supposed to be safe for children, but apparently a
            stronger dose might have different results than you want. Again, though,
            when in doubt, consult a certified herbologist.
            Roma

            >In your copious spare time, can you answer a query for me, please.
            >there is discussion on the mid-east list about Sekanjabin with catnip
            >in it. Some people say it is Ok and others say it is not. Since you
            >have more resources, can you please either let us know or ask the
            >Herbal list?
            >
            >thanks
            >
            >Rhianwen

            Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up � now 2 months FREE!
          • Beth Beaver
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 7 11:49 AM
              Thanks, Roma! I will pass on the info. Have a Marvelous Day!

              Lady Elia

              According to my book, catnip is settling to the stomache, sedative, and
              since it powerfully stimulates sweating, fever reducing. Its pleasant taste
              and gentle action make it suitable for colds, flu and fever in children,
              especially when it is mixed with elderflower and honey.Catnip is m,arkedly
              antiflatulent, settling indigestion and colic, and is also useful in
              treating headaches related to digestive problems.
              However, in the folklore section it says, "it provokes urination and
              menstruation; it expels the stillborn child; it opens obstruction of the
              lungs and the womb, and it is good for internal bruises and shortness of
              breath. drunk with salt and honey, it expels worms from the body." (K'Eogh,
              in his Irish Herbal, 1735.)
              If you decide to try it in Sekanjabin, I would start with a VERY mild
              infusion, as it is supposed to be safe for children, but apparently a
              stronger dose might have different results than you want. Again, though,
              when in doubt, consult a certified herbologist.
              Roma

              >In your copious spare time, can you answer a query for me, please.
              >there is discussion on the mid-east list about Sekanjabin with catnip
              >in it. Some people say it is Ok and others say it is not. Since you
              >have more resources, can you please either let us know or ask the
              >Herbal list?
              >
              >thanks
              >
              >Rhianwen

              Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up – now 2 months FREE!

            • hummingbirdherbal
              Message 6 of 7 , Jul 7 8:44 PM
                In regards to the use of honey as a sweetener for childrens herbal
                preparations, it is not recommended for children under 1 year of age
                according to recent medical advice, due to the danger of infant
                botulism.

                Joy Pedersen

                --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "Rhonda Kountz"
                <roma1358@h...> wrote:
                > According to my book, catnip is settling to the stomache,
                sedative, and
                > since it powerfully stimulates sweating, fever reducing. Its
                pleasant taste
                > and gentle action make it suitable for colds, flu and fever in
                children,
                > especially when it is mixed with elderflower and honey.Catnip is
                m,arkedly
                > antiflatulent, settling indigestion and colic, and is also useful
                in
                > treating headaches related to digestive problems.
                > However, in the folklore section it says, "it provokes urination
                and
                > menstruation; it expels the stillborn child; it opens obstruction
                of the
                > lungs and the womb, and it is good for internal bruises and
                shortness of
                > breath. drunk with salt and honey, it expels worms from the body."
                (K'Eogh,
                > in his Irish Herbal, 1735.)
                > If you decide to try it in Sekanjabin, I would start with a VERY
                mild
                > infusion, as it is supposed to be safe for children, but
                apparently a
                > stronger dose might have different results than you want. Again,
                though,
                > when in doubt, consult a certified herbologist.
                > Roma
                >

                > >In your copious spare time, can you answer a query for me, please.
                > >there is discussion on the mid-east list about Sekanjabin with
                catnip
                > >in it. Some people say it is Ok and others say it is not. Since
                you
                > >have more resources, can you please either let us know or ask the
                > >Herbal list?
                > >
                > >thanks
                > >
                > >Rhianwen

                > Get fast, reliable Internet access with MSN 9 Dial-up – now 2
                months FREE!
                > http://join.msn.click-url.com/go/onm00200361ave/direct/01/
              • Lila Richards
                Message 7 of 7 , Jul 17 5:15 PM
                  <<<In regards to the use of honey as a sweetener for childrens herbal
                  preparations, it is not recommended for children under 1 year of age
                  according to recent medical advice, due to the danger of infant
                  botulism. >>>

                  Besides which it's generally considered better not to sweeten things for
                  children, to avoid developing a 'sweet tooth' which can result in bad teeth
                  and other problems.

                  Sinech.
                  An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil
                  (The Truth against the World)