Re: Lurker's week

  • Jody
    Message 1 of 9 , May 1, 2004
      I confess, I'm a lurker and my name is Vangelista, has the meeting started
      yet? ; )

      I owned an Herb shop (closed it a year ago) so have a pretty good
      foundation with all things natural. The more I learn, the more I realize
      that I don't know. My primary interest presently is in the blending and use
      of essential oils as well as herbs.
      My lord-husband and I are so new to SCA that we have not yet officially
      joined, however, have attended a collegium and will be vending with a frien
      May 31st in TN at a local event(not our local). Our persona is Genoese
      Merchant, 14th century. Sufficiently nebulus to accomidate our diverse
      talents(quirks).
      Back to lurking.

      Vangelista
    • hericslady@aol.com
      Message 2 of 9 , May 1, 2004
        Another lurker here ..... just reading + learning .... live in SW florida ..... Jan
      • Rhonda
        Message 3 of 9 , May 3, 2004

          I, too confess that i am a lurker. I have  learned quite a few things by lurking, and still have many to learn. I would love to go to school officially and become a Certified, licensed Herbologist, but for now do most of my studying freelance. I made the bruise balm with a friend, (Beth!) from the recipe posted online recently, with a couple minor changes. First, we forgot the rosemary, and 2nd, we added arnica, known for its healing properties. I then had a chance to test it on myself. Wed night i acquired a nasty bruise complete with big purple welts you could see the shape of the item that gave the bruise. I immediately applied the balm, and in 12 hours the welts were gone and the bruise had spread out into a generic pattern, already starting to turn black.Today, Monday, ithas faded to the blackish purple/yellow stage, and I believe it has been shrinking as well. I am certain that by this Wed it will be gone. Great stuff! Use 2-3 times a day!
           Roma

        • Rhonda
          Message 4 of 9 , May 3, 2004
              I do have a question, though. THere was also a recipe for a scar salve that I would like to try next, but it says to melt the beeswax in a brass pan. My question is: why brass? can it be some other non reactive pan, like a glass/pyrex pan?
             Roma

          • Jennifer Hayes
            Message 5 of 9 , May 7, 2004
              Message
              Another Lurker :-)

              I currently live in Grand Rapids, MI.  And just took my pomander to regionals (rcvd a low 2 - but a 2).  Currently revamping my doc's for kingdom - anyone know where are what period books I should be looking for that has period herbs and their descriptions?  I was quoting cullpepper, yet many informed me that that is post-period.

              Thanks :-)  Love the list.

              harley

            • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
              Message 6 of 9 , May 7, 2004
                > I currently live in Grand Rapids, MI. And just took my pomander to
                > regionals (rcvd a low 2 - but a 2). Currently revamping my doc's for
                > kingdom - anyone know where are what period books I should be looking for
                > that has period herbs and their descriptions? I was quoting cullpepper, yet
                > many informed me that that is post-period.

                Banckes' Herbal is one place to look.
                Gerard's Herbal is one that many libraries have, though it's from a
                postperiod edition.
                Hildegarde of Bingen's book is a start.
                Platina's _Right Pleasure and Good Health_ is available in paperback and
                gives information about various herbs.

                "Sometimes you have to do something unforgivable, just to be able to go
                on living." --Christopher Hampton, "The Talking Cure"
              • Jennifer Hayes
                Message 7 of 9 , May 7, 2004
                  Do you know where I could buy a copy of Bancke's Herbal?

                  > I currently live in Grand Rapids, MI. And just took my pomander to
                  > regionals (rcvd a low 2 - but a 2). Currently revamping my doc's for
                  > kingdom - anyone know where are what period books I should be looking
                  > for that has period herbs and their descriptions? I was quoting
                  > cullpepper, yet many informed me that that is post-period.

                  Banckes' Herbal is one place to look.
                  Gerard's Herbal is one that many libraries have, though it's from a
                  postperiod edition.
                  Hildegarde of Bingen's book is a start.
                  Platina's _Right Pleasure and Good Health_ is available in paperback and
                  gives information about various herbs.

                  "Sometimes you have to do something unforgivable, just to be able to go
                  on living." --Christopher Hampton, "The Talking Cure"

                  Yahoo! Groups Links
                • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
                  Message 8 of 9 , May 7, 2004
                    > Do you know where I could buy a copy of Bancke's Herbal?

                    Unfortunately, it's not in print. I believe one of the herbal guilds was
                    selling either Banckes' or Turner's herbal in transliteration.

                    Banckes' herb is usually listed as _An Herbal <1525>_. You probably will
                    be able to get it through Interlibrary Loan:

                    An Herbal <1525> edited & transcribed into modern English,
                    Author(s): Larkey, Sanford V.; 1898- ; (Sanford Vincent),; ed.
                    Publication: New York, N.Y., Scholars' facsimiles & reprints,
                    Year: 1941

                    "Sometimes you have to do something unforgivable, just to be able to go
                    on living." --Christopher Hampton, "The Talking Cure"
                  • Tradingpost
                    Message 9 of 9 , May 7, 2004
                      You can always check at Abebooks.com (or abe.com)
                      they apparently have 2 available right now..
                      http://dogbert.abebooks.com/servlet/SearchResults?&imageField.y=11&imageField.x=56&ph=2&cmid=hp-search-form&tn=Banckes'+Herbal+&sts=t

                      1.

                      Banckes's Herbal"] An Herbal [1525]. Edited and Transcribed into Modern English with an Introduction by Sanford V. Larkey and Thomas Pyles.
                      Price: US$ 65.00 [Convert Currency]
                      Shipping: [Rates and Speeds]
                      Add Book to Shopping Basket
                      Book Details

                      Book Description: New York: Scholars' Facsimiles and Reprints, 1941. xxiv, 1 leaf + Facsimile Reprint; 86 pp. Original cloth. Xlib: White ink no. on spine, ink stamps on top & bottom fore edges. Very Good. Facsimile Reprint of Garrison-Morton 1799 (citing 1st ed., 1525): "Earliest English printed herbal. Published anonymously, it is usually referred to as 'Banckes' Herbal'. The text was derived from a medieval manuscript, and although the work had no claim to originality it was the basis of most English herbals until Turner.. Only two copies are known." This facsimile reprint edition is limited to 500 copies. Bookseller Inventory #10948

                      Bookseller: Scientia Books, ABAA (Arlington, MA, U.S.A.)

                      [Search this Seller's Books] [Browse this Seller's Books] [Ask Bookseller a Question]

                      2.

                      Banckes's Herbal"] An Herbal [1525]. Edited and Transcribed into Modern English with an Introduction by Sanford V. Larkey and Thomas Pyles.
                      Price: US$ 95.00 [Convert Currency]
                      Shipping: [Rates and Speeds]
                      Add Book to Shopping Basket
                      Book Details

                      Book Description: New York: Scholars' Facsimiles and Reprints, 1941. xxiv, 1 leaf + Facsimile Reprint; 86 pp. Original cloth. Very Good, in dust jacket. Facsimile Reprint of Garrison-Morton 1799 (citing 1st ed., 1525): "Earliest English printed herbal. Published anonymously, it is usually referred to as 'Banckes' Herbal'. The text was derived from a medieval manuscript, and although the work had no claim to originality it was the basis of most English herbals until Turner.. Only two copies are known." This facsimile reprint edition is limited to 500 copies. Bookseller Inventory #10947

                      Bookseller: Scientia Books, ABAA (Arlington, MA, U.S.A.)

                      BTW-I also have herbals on my website
                      http://herbfarmer.net/herbalresources.htm#HERBAL
                      http://herbfarmer.net/herbalresources.htm
                      It's still a work in progress-am working on adding more...any suggestions or comments appreciated..

                      back into lurk mode.......

                      Kathy