RE: [SCA-Herbalist] Lurker's week?

  • Beth Beaver
    Message 1 of 22 , Apr 28, 2004
      Yup.

      Beth Beaver

      -----Original Message-----
      From: zajaczkowa [mailto:jahb@...]
      Sent: April 28, 2004 2:49 PM
      To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] Lurker's week?

      I'd like to suggest that the first week in May on this list be
      designated a lurker's week. :) This is an idea we used on pre-Web
      mailing lists when we felt the list might be getting too introspective.

      What this means is that I'm asking those of you who lurk and don't
      post to post at least one message that week... and those of you who
      post at least twice a week (that includes me) to not post for that week.
      Would the members of the list be ok with that?

      -- Jadwiga

    • zajaczkowa

        Message 3 of 22 , Apr 28, 2004
          By the way, since I have mostly been a lurker, I haven't posted a message
          without particularly answering one. If I was to enter a comment on my own,
          how would I do that. Basic list instructions needed, please.

          Thanks

          Beth Beaver

          I'd like to suggest that the first week in May on this list be
          designated a lurker's week. :) This is an idea we used on pre-Web
          mailing lists when we felt the list might be getting too introspective.

          What this means is that I'm asking those of you who lurk and don't
          post to post at least one message that week... and those of you who
          post at least twice a week (that includes me) to not post for that week.
          Would the members of the list be ok with that?

          -- Jadwiga

        • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
          Message 4 of 22 , Apr 28, 2004
            > By the way, since I have mostly been a lurker, I haven't posted a message
            > without particularly answering one. If I was to enter a comment on my own,
            > how would I do that. Basic list instructions needed, please.

            To post to the list, you can send email to SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com.
            SCA-Herbalist page. Under that, there's a link for posting messages.

            "Sometimes you have to do something unforgivable, just to be able to go
            on living." --Christopher Hampton, "The Talking Cure"
          • Beth Beaver
            Message 5 of 22 , Apr 28, 2004
              Thanks

              Beth

              > By the way, since I have mostly been a lurker, I haven't posted a message
              > without particularly answering one. If I was to enter a comment on my
              own,
              > how would I do that. Basic list instructions needed, please.

              To post to the list, you can send email to SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com.
              go to the
              SCA-Herbalist page. Under that, there's a link for posting messages.

              "Sometimes you have to do something unforgivable, just to be able to go
              on living." --Christopher Hampton, "The Talking Cure"

            • Cat>^-.-^<
              Message 6 of 22 , Apr 28, 2004
                Hi Jadwiga:
                I certainly admit to being a lurker lately...I apologize! :-) I have been
                meaning to ask you a question regarding period (pre-1650) recipes for
                potpourri. Do you have any references to dried flowers used for this method
                of scent other than sweet bags? Specifically, I am looking for recipes for
                dried flowers (likely roses) placed in open-air containers to scent a room.
                I can find tons of recipes closer to 1700, but very little before that.
                Thank you again for your help!
                Cat

              • SilverLoon2001@aol.com
                Message 7 of 22 , Apr 29, 2004
                  << Would the members of the list be ok with that? >>

                  Definitely.

                  Hedewigis.
                  Trying to figure out in which category I am...<grins>
                • windsingersmoon
                  Message 8 of 22 , Apr 29, 2004
                    Interesting concept........
                    It might be fun to see what happens.
                    I think this is the first time (recent postings that is) that I've
                    posted since shortly after I joined here.......but 'lurking' implies
                    I was reading but not adding to.
                    I wasn't
                    I just wasn't dropping in.
                    As I stongly suspect is the reason for most non-postings.
                    i.e. I have a board of my own (Gypsy Fire) Has over 160 something
                    subscribers.....but there's only about 10 or 12 who ever post at any
                    given window of time....I'm very much afraid that if Those of us who
                    are, stop, even for a week, that it'd be awfully hard to get the
                    momentum back up again to keep rolling along after the vacation.

                    Personally I think it's far more important to keep SOMETHING being
                    said, by Anyone, than to try and pry the folks out of the corners
                    who have nothing to say blood and turnips comes to mind....i.e. if
                    the silent folks are reading, they'll come out when something gets
                    said they either stongly agree with or don't.
                    Some folks are just shy. They don't want the spotlight
                    Lettum get comfortable and think they can slide one in real quick,
                    and dive back for the shadows and they're rather blend with the
                    crowd.
                    S. just my 2 cents

                    --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "zajaczkowa" <jahb@l...> wrote:
                    > I'd like to suggest that the first week in May on this list be
                    > designated a lurker's week. :) This is an idea we used on pre-Web
                    > mailing lists when we felt the list might be getting too
                    introspective.

                    > What this means is that I'm asking those of you who lurk and don't
                    > post to post at least one message that week... and those of you who
                    > post at least twice a week (that includes me) to not post for that
                    week.
                    > Would the members of the list be ok with that?
                    >
                    > -- Jadwiga
                  • chris carpenter
                    Message 9 of 22 , Apr 29, 2004
                      Hiya Asa....it is great to hear from you

                      I am on Gypsy FIre, but it got too burdonsome at the time for me to handle the bulk of the posts. I miss my talks about the fire.  I can vouch for your list being VERY interesting and diverse, but its mostly because of you, gracious Lady, your diplomacy and your incredibly interesting posts and reviews.

                      Although I am not going to comment on the postings here, I do agree to keep posting..;O)

                      Perhaps I should turn it back on..;O)

                      Donato

                      windsingersmoon <asa.wood@...> wrote:

[...]

                      Do you Yahoo!?

                    • CC
                      Message 10 of 22 , May 1, 2004
                        <What this means is that I'm asking those of you who lurk and don't
                        post to post at least one message that week>

                        Hello!  My name is Caroline, and I live in north central KY.  I have been to horse shows that feature the SCA equestrian group from Michigan, and have been interested in joining...but at this point, have not found anyone close to me.  In my 'real life', I enjoy growing and processing herbs, err, my interest in this group.  I enjoy reading the information given here, but I have just not felt that I ever had anything to add to it!  <grin>
                        Thank you for inviting us lurkers out, and for all the wonderful information you put out on this list!
                      • Patricia Collum
                        Message 11 of 22 , May 2, 2004
                          Hi, I am the 'Cultivator' for the local branch of the Kingdom of Atenveldt Herbalist Guild in my Barony. Lately most of the people who started our local branch have either moved away or do not make it out to our meetings.

                          I would love to hear some suggestions for activities or info that can be used to spark some interest among the populace of my Barony. In the past we had sponsered tea for the barony at weekly fighter practice and included a table with guild and herbal info, but never progressed much beyond that.

                          Cecily de la Warde
                          Barony of Sundragon
                          Kingdom of Atenveldt

                          Message 12 of 22 , May 2, 2004
                            I am. I lurk because this is a great source for herbal knowledge, and as I am looking for a new outlet, hope that I'll be able to add a little as get more into the the growing and using flora. I am especially interested in plants that may have been used in Eastern Europe/ Byzanium during period, and would appreciate reliable web site information. Thanks and keep up the good work and fine service. Sergius
                          • Jennifer Hayes
                            Message 13 of 22 , May 3, 2004
                              Hello, My name is Harley. I'm a lurker.

                              I became inspired after taking a class at Pennsic XXX. Since then I haven
                              been trying to self teach myself, which doesn't seem to be going quite well.
                              (I just entered a pomander in our Regionals and received a 2 and am a bit
                              put off - but you have to realize that last year I entered a different one
                              with terrible docs and received a 2, so when I revisited it this year I did
                              some serious research and thought the docs were fantastic --- wondering how
                              it will do at kingdom) I think I am the only one in my area that dabbles in
                              this field, so I'm kinda stuck fumbling around - but having a blast doing
                              it.

                              Not sure what else you'd like to hear, so I'll slink back into the shadows.

                              Harley
                            • w g
                              Message 14 of 22 , May 3, 2004

                                Another lurker jumping in to say hello.  I am so new I haven't even been to any events or anything yet.  I quess I am still at the getting to meet people stage.  There was a 'crown something' this weekend nearby, but as I didn't know anyone, I didn't go...perhaps I should have....maybe I would have met someone there; who knows?

                                So now i will go back to lurking...thanks for the chance to let you know I am here...

                                Do you Yahoo!?
                              • Corwyn and Carowyn
                                Message 15 of 22 , May 3, 2004
                                  Greetings!

                                  >I would love to hear some suggestions for activities or info that can be
                                  used to spark some interest among the populace of my Barony. In the past
                                  we had sponsored tea for the barony at weekly fighter practice and
                                  included a table with guild and herbal info, but never progressed much
                                  beyond
                                  >that.

                                  Here are a few suggestions:

                                  Make a small pot of bruise balm and distribute liberally to fighters.
                                  One of the best ways to get fighters interested in herbs is to show how
                                  it can relate - and after taking an armor bite, bruise balm can be
                                  heavenly!

                                  Make some herbal soaps, and have them in your house. Give them out as
                                  gifts, especially if you find out what scents people like.

                                  Make some perfume, and wear it. I've given most of mine away - which
                                  reminds me, I've gotta go make some more....

                                  The last two suggestions are dead easy (get a base soap with a bit of a
                                  scent that you like - any store brand will do - shave it up, add herbs,
                                  add a bit of milk, remash into a ball, poof! instant soap!) (get the
                                  cheapo vodka, add a few handfuls of herbs you like, let steep in a corner
                                  for a month, strain out the herbal bits, poof! instant perfume!). The
                                  recipe for the first is in the archives, and isn't so hard either. As
                                  people get drawn in, then you can expand into more complicated things
                                  (soap from bases or from scratch, Carmelite Water, etc. heh heh heh) -
                                  and then you know who's interested!

                                  It may take some time, but if you're patient, and don't take it
                                  personally, eventually others are fascinated by what you do! And then
                                  they want to help! ;-)

                                  -Carowyn

                                  Surf the Web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
                                • Beth Beaver
                                  Message 16 of 22 , May 3, 2004
                                    Thanks, Carowyn.

                                    Beth Beaver

                                    Message 17 of 22 , May 7, 2004
                                      I lurk, therefore I am.

                                      Greetings,

                                      I am Ariane de Rennes, currently residing in An Crosaire, Trimaris (Gainesville, Florida). I've been fascinated with herbs since about the age of eight, since the day I stood on a hillside at Olde Sturbridge Village. Wow, so these are herbs. That was a lot of years ago.

                                      I'm getting used to planting in the ground now that I own my own house. All the empty terracotta pots are calling to be filled, too. They will not be ignored. Right now my garden is (well, calling it a garden is--ummm--kind) a haphazard mix of roses, some annuals, some herbs. I have a bunch more plants to do something with this weekend.

                                      I'm always looking for interesting stuff and am so often disappointed at the nurseries. The mundane herb society that I belong to, though, is often a good source for fun herbs. We have a raffle every month, mostly plants, and I've gotten such things as vetiver and turmeric. Does anybody know any really good sources for herbs (plants or seeds) in central or north Florida?

                                      In service,

                                      Ariane/Suzanne
                                    • McLaine
                                      Message 18 of 22 , May 9, 2004
                                        I'm also new and a lurker...I'm also relatively new to all this.  I live in Gyldenholt, but will be moving to Dreiburgen in the Kingdom of Caid soon, as we are building a house on 6 acres.  At last, I'm going to have a garden ... I was a horrific failure at keeping anything but aloes and ferns going in pots on my front porch.  (The temperature, even with shadecloth, was a bit much, and the pots could dry out between the time you left for work in the morning and the time you got home...)

                                        Interested in growing and also different ways of *using* herbs.  My grandmother used to cook Greater Celandine (she called it "Ruda" <Italian dialect>) down with lard and we used that on wounds.  Was the best thing in the world for drawing infection out of a wound; I've used it on myself and my kids over the years, and also in a poultice for horses with abscesses in their feet.  I'm so disappointed I didn't get to learn more from her before she passed, but I am hoping that others here will help me become more educated.

                                        Cheers,

                                        Harpsong

                                        Do you Yahoo!?
                                      • Rhonda
                                        Message 19 of 22 , May 9, 2004
                                          Do you have the recipe for your poultice? Would olive oil work instead of lard, or do you need the lard? Always looking for natural healing techniques!

                                            Ok, a little bit more about myself. I have always been interested in green growing things since I was knee-high to a grasshopper. i blame my mom for that. She can take a stick,  shove it into the ground, and make it bloom. Alas, I have no such luck. Once they are established, i can usually keep them alive, but getting them started is the hard part.
                                           In the SCA, my persona is a celtic gypsy healer in a household of Rom. (I'm what they call a "mumper"-1/4 rom, 3/4 celt-irish to be exact). As the household healer, it's my duty to keep everyone healthy and safe, so any good remedies I can pick up, I soak up like a sponge. The bruise balm I made with Lady Elia I had a chance to test on myself with very satisfactory results, and am now eager for more. I have a bookshelf overflowing with herbal books and books on natural remedies, but until now have been afraid to try to make any of them for fear i would mess it up. Now that i know how easy and effective it can be, I want MORE!!!!hehehe the "monster has been unleashed!"
                                            I currently reside in the barony of al-Baran, in the kingdom of the Outlands. (mka Albuquerque, New Mexico)
                                            Lady Roma

                                          Message 20 of 22 , May 9, 2004
                                            Hello Ariane,
                                            Think of your garden as a *work-in-progress*. That's how I think of mine.  Currently (I am in PA) I have columbine, bleeding heart up and flowering. I had the tulips and daffodils and crocus. In the wings are the iris, black eyed Susan, yarrow...etc.

                                            No herbs yet here because it is still too cold to leave them out...although, I am going to a huge nursery this week to get my herbs.

                                            As to the work-in-progress nature of my garden, I have 4 huge (about 4 ft high) piles of mulch to spread and tons of plants to plant.

                                            As to your garden looking hap-hazard, I bet it has a lovely English garden feel to it.  Send pictures if you can please!
                                            Phillipa
                                            Message 21 of 22 , May 10, 2004
                                              ---Okay so im a few days late, i only joined the list recently so i
                                              havent really had the chance to be a real lurker yet lol. i hail
                                              from the inland region of AnTir, in my spare time (yeah right) im
                                              seneschal of an incipient shire, i joined because i have an
                                              interest but little knowledge on herbs i wanted to grow some and i
                                              am completely fascinated with stillroom books so i figured this
                                              would be a good place to get advice and ideas. it started out when i
                                              was asked to teach a class on basic herbalism and my kids wanted to
                                              grow an herb garden plus i hear about and see lots of wonderful
                                              things on merchants row, so you could say im soaking up information
                                              and reading but havent truly gotten to the point of doing anything
                                              other than planting some herbs recently i planted lavender, lemon
                                              vebina, pinapple sage, and of course catnip cant leave the kitty out
                                              so im taking baby steps all are in containers so they can be brought
                                              in for the winter as we have fairly chilly winters with snow, so for
                                              now thats about it im just here to learn.

                                              gwen

                                              Message 22 of 22 , Aug 7, 2004
                                                >I am especially interested in plants that may have been used in Eastern
                                                >Europe/ Byzanium during period, and would appreciate reliable web site
                                                >information. Thanks and keep up the good work and fine service. Sergius

                                                By the way, I don't know if I ever posted this:

                                                Herbs of Eastern Europe
                                                (known in Medieval and Renaissance periods)
                                                http://gallowglass.org/jadwiga/herbs/easterneuropeherbs.html

                                                "I don't want to claim that God is on our side. As Abraham Lincoln told
                                                us, I want to pray humbly that we are on God's side." - John Kerry