Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Container Gardening

  • Joanne Clyde
    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 22, 2004
      It is a blast. There's going to be a lot going on. Everyone who can come,
      should! Crash Space is available, if you contact our crash space
      coordinator soon!

      And as to where I'll be moving, it depends upon where I get a teaching job.
      I've got applications EVERYWHERE. So there's a chance I'll be anywhere! :)

      Also, thank you all for the recommendations for container herbs. I've got
      basil, parsley, dill, chives, and mint seeds started now. I'm going to need
      to go out and get some of the other ones suggested too!

      Geertruyt

      From: Metylda Pryde <metylda_pryde@...>
      To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Container Gardening
      Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 08:58:23 -0700 (PDT)

      **Also, putting in a plug for the Armored Easter Egg hunt going on
      this Saturday (the 24th) in Bloomington IL. **
      http://www.geocities.com/angelique_du_soleil/easteregg.html

      I'm very sorry to be missing this event as I've heard it's a blast! Alas, my
      friend had to get married the next day with rehersal Saturday night. :p And
      YES, I gave a lot of consideration to skipping it, but...

      Where in Chicago will you be moving? I'm in the northern 'burbs.

      Metylda
      Shire of Ravenslake (Lake and McHenry Counties, IL)
      Midlands
      Midrealm

      Cub fans are not normal.

      It's amazing what 95 years of World Series misery will do to people. They
      start to believe balls are humans. They start thinking that wizards,
      warlocks, billy goats and black cats control the fate of their favorite
      baseball team.

      They center their hatred on one particular baseball, a combination of twine,
      leather and red stitching that didn't bounce their way one chilly October
      night. They insist that to exterminate the bad mojo, they must execute the
      ball.

    • Jadwiga Zajaczkowa / Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 24, 2004
        > What herbs would be considered "essential" for a beginning herb
        > garden? Finally, which of these essential herbs grow best in
        > containers? (Will be moving to Chicago soon and will need to
        > transport)

        Hm.. that depends on what you are planning to do with them, mainly.

        I would say that parsley and basil never go amiss.

        I would suggest rosemary, sage, thyme, marjoram, and perhaps a mint as good starters (there's an
        article on Medieval Herbs for the small garden that I wrote on my website:
        http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/herbs/herbs.html

        If you are looking for the unusual, I'd suggest tansy, rue and wormwood, but they aren't as good
        container plants.

        "Sometimes you have to do something unforgivable, just to be able to go
        on living." --Christopher Hampton, "The Talking Cure"
      • windsingersmoon
        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 28, 2004
          Personally, as far as I'm concerned, their ALL 'container' plants !!

          I've found that I ONLY have a green thumb, if the plant is in a BIG
          pot!! Other-wise the plant needs to fight with other plants in my
          woodland garden for rootspace and neutrients and water etc. If I
          plant it in a pot, I avoid the local clay soils, I can move it, if
          necessary to a place with more sun or shade, without upsetting the
          root system......
          I've been able to successfully grow things in pots that I failed
          year after year to grow in the ground.

          I even have trees in huge (100# soil) pots A Rowan Tree which I'd
          been told repeatedly Would NOT grow in GA. A Medieval Medlar tree.
          2 black walnut trees (dug up small in my lady mother's pasture)(now
          5 feet tall, counting the 2 foot high pots) a corkscrew willow,
          Mulberry trees, crampbark, fig, Elder berry,

          In fact, about the only thing I don't have in pots is several hazel
          nut bushes, wild blueberries and domestic, and several birch trees.

          I'm going out now to plant some Yarrow and other stuff,...in pots!!
          Shara

          --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "Geertruyt" <jmknoppe@h...>
          wrote:
          > .
          >
          > What herbs would be considered "essential" for a beginning herb
          > garden? Finally, which of these essential herbs grow best in
          > containers? (Will be moving to Chicago soon and will need to
          > transport)
          >
          > Geertruyt
          > who currently lives in Baile na Scholairi, Middle Kingdom
          > (Normal, IL)

        • windsingersmoon
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 28, 2004
            And Live-for-ever, Sweet woodruff, roses, and Sweet Violets..
            Shara

            --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "Eleyn Scrivener" <eleyn@t...>
            wrote:
            > I'd also add catnip, comfrey, scented geraniums and lemongrass.
            >
            > Eleyn

            > From: Ro Bourdeau <moose.mom@s...>
            > Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 20:58:54 -0700 (PDT)

            might just decide to die during the trip just to spite you. It all
            depends on how much room you have and how much you think you'd use.

            > >Geertruyt <jmknoppe@h...> wrote:Ok, I've been lurking long
            enough. I'm just starting out with my