Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Digest Number 926

  • Lila Richards
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2004
      > I have not written before as a recent addition to the group. I would like
      to suggest the possibilty that a mortar and pestle is not the only "period"
      method of grinding things to a fine powder...
      > Modern methods used both circular grinding and percussion pulverisation.
      I would like to offer a variation on these methods as a likley period method
      to prepare fine poweders from many matrials...similar to a rolling pin...a
      smaller hand variation of the veritcal mill used since roman times and still
      used in some remote areas today. Within the narrowed edge of the roller the
      amount of force can be focused in a way similar to a mortar and pestle but
      with greater effeciency thus making it possible to get extremely fine sand
      from quartz...

      This is possible, indeed, but I suspect that Nostrodamus's recipes were
      designed for household use rather than larger-scale manufacture, and
      households may not have had the machinery you mention. Also, I got the
      impression the tooth powder was supposed to act as an abrasive - not unlike
      modern toothpastes, but, I should think, much harder on the teeth. Another
      of his recipes recommends baking porcelain clay into tiny bricks, then
      moistening it with perfume before rubbing on the teeth. I don't doubth this
      would rub off plaque, etc., but I hate to think what it would do to the
      tooth enamel if used over a long period of time.

      Sinech.
      ________________________
      An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil
      (The Truth against the World)
    • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 10, 2004
        > to prepare fine poweders from many matrials...similar to a rolling pin...a
        > smaller hand variation of the veritcal mill used since roman times and still
        > used in some remote areas today. Within the narrowed edge of the roller the
        > amount of force can be focused in a way similar to a mortar and pestle but
        > with greater effeciency thus making it possible to get extremely fine sand
        > from quartz...
        >
        > This is possible, indeed, but I suspect that Nostrodamus's recipes were
        > designed for household use rather than larger-scale manufacture, and
        > households may not have had the machinery you mention.

        Hm... I think Nostradamus expects these to be made up by Apothecaries or
        homes with well-equipped stillrooms. It seems to me from reading the
        Nostradamus' and other recipes that finely grinding material was a routine
        part of stillroom practice, but we may have to look at Alchemical
        equipment rather than cooking equipment for the tools used?

        I'm not clear on the vertical mill concept-- would this be a kind of grain
        mill that would have been used in the home? I know peppermills, etc. were
        in use.

        >Also, I got the
        > impression the tooth powder was supposed to act as an abrasive

        I think even finely ground, such substances would be very abrasive and
        definitely have a long term negative effect on tooth enamel.

        "It is no use telling me that there are bad aunts and good aunts.
        At the core, they are all alike. Sooner or later, out pops the
        cloven hoof." -- P.G. Wodehouse, _The Code of the Woosters_
      • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 11, 2004
          > But I think that period ladies were hoping to imbibe the treated teath
          >with the qualties of quarts by transference...

          Actually, a wide variety of abrasive and acidic materials were used in
          various tooth preparations in period.

          > but since it did not start as something white/clear hence pure it was a
          >no go...Afterall, if they truly carred about scrubbing away the vileness
          >causing their dental woes

          Well, Banckes' Herbal (1525) suggests a tooth whitening scrub made with
          the charcoal from burnt rosemary wood.

          To see some other period tooth and mouth care recipes redacted, see:
          http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/teeth.html