Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Period Soaps

  • Theresa Brooks
    Message 1 of 20 , Jan 30, 2004
      Yes there is a form of lye for gardening, you can also make it. Me I simply go to the grocery store into the cleaning isle and buy "red devil". It run's me about $3.00 and I can get  many batches from it. It is rather grainy, sort of like a thin crystal rock salt. I find its density makes it measure well and easier to use.

      Isabella

      For many soap recipes, I am seeing the need for lye.

      Does anyone know where I could find such a thing?  Someone told me that it
      is commonly used in gardening nowadays - is this correct?

      Harley

    • Jason Costarakis
      Message 2 of 20 , Jan 31, 2004
        actualy it is alkaline, the oposite of an acid.  a ph of 7 is neutural, lower is acidic, higher is alkaline. so if you have an acid spill clean up with an base (alkaline compound, baking soda) and if you have an alkaline spill, clean up with acid (vineger).
        btw, not trying to nitpick, but these are handy chemistry safety tips.

        also, a GOOD pair of eye protection, preferably non vented or splashproof vents (lab style) can save you.  i have my left eye due to same (splash when mixing holography developing bleach, sulfuric acid & brate) even mild chemicals can permanantly damage your eyes very quickly, scars on the hands no big deal, the eyes.....

        jason
          A new folder has been added to the files section of the group on
          soap making. It is actually pretty simple and rather old but thought
          it could be handy to those new in soap making just the same.

          :)

          Herrin Griet
        • Amanda
          Message 4 of 20 , Feb 2, 2004
            I'm curious... how is it used for gardening?

            Griet

            <theresabrooks@e...> wrote:
            > Yes there is a form of lye for gardening, you can also make it. Me
            I simply go to the grocery store into the cleaning isle and buy "red
            devil". It run's me about $3.00 and I can get many batches from it.
            It is rather grainy, sort of like a thin crystal rock salt. I find
            its density makes it measure well and easier to use.

            > Isabella
            >

            > For many soap recipes, I am seeing the need for lye.
            >
            > Does anyone know where I could find such a thing? Someone told
            me that it
            > is commonly used in gardening nowadays - is this correct?
            >
            > Harley
          • Brenda Billings
            Message 5 of 20 , Feb 2, 2004
              I suspect as a remediation for very acidic soils. But I can think of other
              ways... potash comes to mind... <shrugs> this is off the top of the head
              and a serious gardener will probably be able to give better info.

              Mieka