Two Questions

  • Corwyn and Carowyn
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 27, 2004
      Greetings to the list!

      I have two questions, and I'm hoping you can help.

      First, is there some place where I can get a copy of the EKHAG charter?
      I don't think it's at the website - or, rather, it wasn't there when I
      checked last. I could be hallucinating, though.

      Secondly, I know there's an EKHAG-sponsored event in the fall, but I
      don't know the date. Could someone who has the date / place send it to
      me?

      I'm planning a WAAAY cool event for the fall, but I'm trying not to
      conflict! ;-)

      -Carowyn

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • Jo Anne
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 27, 2004
        At 08:39 AM 1/27/04, Carowyn-and-Corwyn wrote:

        >Greetings to the list!
        >
        >I have two questions, and I'm hoping you can help.
        >
        >First, is there some place where I can get a copy of the EKHAG charter?
        >I don't think it's at the website - or, rather, it wasn't there when I
        >checked last. I could be hallucinating, though.
        If it's not there by itself, it's in the most recent Tisane issue, and the
        wording alone is in the one from when it was signed by Isabella and Andreas
        -- March 2001, maybe?

        Or maybe you're hallucinating . . .

        Johanna
      • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 28, 2004
          > First, is there some place where I can get a copy of the EKHAG charter?
          > I don't think it's at the website - or, rather, it wasn't there when I
          > checked last. I could be hallucinating, though.

          Yes, it is on the website, on the first page. (I need to ask the
          maintainer to move it to its own page...)

          Here's the whole thing, quoted:
          "Our Charter

          Be it proclaimed throughout the Kingdom of the East that We, Darius and
          Roxane, King and Queen of the East, hereby grant unto the Herbalists and
          Apothecaries' Guild of The East Kingdom a Charter. It shall be the duty of
          this Guild to serve the East Kingdom as an open forum for the exchange of
          information on the Herbal Arts and lore of the current and then Middle
          Ages. It is Our pleasure that membership in this guild be open to any of
          Our subjects who express interest in the Herbal Arts.

          It is Our wish that The Herbal and Apothecaries' Guild shall serve the
          Kingdom as a resource in all matters appropriate to this Art and Science
          of Herbalism. Therefore We charge the members of this Guild with the
          responsibility of sharing their knowledge and skills with all of Our
          subjects who may wish to approach them for the purpose of instruction or
          information, whether it take the form of classes, mentoring, or other
          arenas yet unexplored.

          We direct the Guild to institute a voluntary system of certification and
          ranking on the basis of knowledge and expertise, assigning ranking levels
          through a system of panelling by the Masters of the Guild. It is further
          Our wish that the Guild shall annually present to the Rulers, as a fee,
          goods of the Guild's manufacture.

          The public face of the Guild shall be represented by an Agitator, whose
          qualifications shall be decided upon by the members of the Guild. Through
          the person of the Agitator, the Guild is directed to foster the goals
          herein outlined, making themselves available for the education and
          enlightenment of any who so desire."

          > Secondly, I know there's an EKHAG-sponsored event in the fall, but I
          > don't know the date. Could someone who has the date / place send it to
          > me?

          I believe it will be the third or fourth weekend in October, but email
          Isabella (theresabrooks@...) to find out for sure.

          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful committed citizens
          can change the world; indeed it's the only thing that ever has..."
          -- Margaret Mead
        • silveroak@juno.com
          Message 4 of 10 , Jul 9, 2012
            Greetings,

            Two situations lead me to ask some questions:

            1) Is there a way to scrub off the scent of an over-perfumed soap from my hands? My allergy-free soap bar got tossed at work, and I stupidly used the "other stuff", which caused an allergic reaction rather quickly. That horrible scent lasted for a few hours, causing my eyes to itch, and I was washing my hands a lot to get it off faster. Is there a better, quicker way? I also scrubbed with rubbing alcohol a time or two, but I have to be careful with that, since I'm allergic to alcohol as well.

            2) My mom & I resculpted the garden, and put a lot of flowers in different pots on the patio. And now the community's feral cats think it's the best place for a bathroom! Is there a way to keep them from digging up the flowers?

            -Carowyn

            5 Best Diet Pills of 2012
            Find out which diet pills tested highest for weight loss. Free report.
            http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4ffaeb7deba746b7d074bst51duc
          • Rickard, Patty
            Message 5 of 10 , Jul 9, 2012

              I don’t know about the scrubbing, but if you can put chicken wire or hardware cloth over the soil (cut x’s for the plants) it should discourage the cats.

              Patty

              Message 6 of 10 , Jul 9, 2012
                Believe it or not, coffee grinds can cut bad smells.  Learned about that one from a friend who makes soap.  She does a "kitchen soap" that includes coffee grinds at they will cut the smell of onions, etc.

                I know nothing about keeping cats out of plants.

                Oriel

                Message 7 of 10 , Jul 9, 2012
                  Baking soda or vinegar?

                  --
                  www.crookedwall.org
                  www.bthumbstudios.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Jul 9, 2012
                    In addition to the vinegar, baking soda, and coffee grounds already mentioned, I have had a lot of success with charcoal and hydrogen peroxide.

                    Powder the charcoal if you're going to use it as this will increase the effective surface area. Dry wash thoroughly, then wash off with neutral soap and water.

                    The hydrogen peroxide wash will neutralize a lot of odors. It's the basis of the best skunk spray wash recipe I know (and regretfully I've had reason to try several). That recipe is a quart of hydrogen peroxide, 1/4 cup of baking soda, and 1 to 2 teaspoons of neutral liquid soap. Mix well and use immediately as it cannot be stored. I'm giving it because it's possible you may need this recipe instead.

                    Kirklin

                    >________________________________

                  • Duke Jason
                    Message 9 of 10 , Jul 9, 2012
                      2: Pepper, both black and cayanne. Works for me.

                      Message 10 of 10 , Jul 9, 2012
                        Greetings again!

                        Thank you VERY much for all the suggestions, I shall certainly be using them!

                        Your input has been greatly appreciated!

                        Off to implement,

                        -Carowyn

                        53 Year Old Mom Looks 33
                        http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/4ffb3a1e44ce73a1e5c06st52duc