Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Southernwood

  • kcncress@aol.com
    Message 1 of 9 , Jun 1, 2000
      Hello to all...
      I've been lurking in the shadows, enjoying your dialog for a month or two
      now, and am suddenly compelled to shoot a question to the list.

      I am from the heart of Calontir. Last year I put two small southernwood
      plants (Artemisia Abrotanum) in my herb garden, and they have absolutely
      exploded. Does anyone have information on this plant used in period as a
      strewing herb? I have seen a quote from Strabo about it's many virtues, but
      nothing about strewing.

      Good luck with your Guild formation!

      Dejaniera de la Mille Coeur, OL
    • auntmsherbs@mindspring.com
      Message 2 of 9 , Jun 1, 2000
        Just looked up southernwood. There were no dates listed, but as a strewing
        herb it would be useful for repelling moths and fleas. My info says to use
        it in sachets for moth repellant. Also has a lot of medicinal uses --
        female problems, poor appetite, threadworms, hair loss (internally).
        Externally, for frostbite, extracting splinters, sciatica, swelling, and
        hair loss. The one old wives tale I've heard about southernwood is that if
        a southernwood plant is placed on one side of the kitchen stoop
        (representing the husband), and a rosemary is placed on the other side
        (representing the wife) and tended equally, the one that grows largest tells
        who will be master of the house. I think that story is Victorian in origin,
        but it may be earlier.

        Auntie M
        >I've been lurking in the shadows, enjoying your dialog for a month or two
        >now, and am suddenly compelled to shoot a question to the list.
        >
        >I am from the heart of Calontir. Last year I put two small southernwood
        >plants (Artemisia Abrotanum) in my herb garden, and they have absolutely
        >exploded. Does anyone have information on this plant used in period as a
        >strewing herb? I have seen a quote from Strabo about it's many virtues,
        but
        >nothing about strewing.
        >
        >Good luck with your Guild formation!
        >
        >Dejaniera de la Mille Coeur, OL

      • Deming
        Message 3 of 9 , Jun 1, 2000
          (I hear the bells ringing but I don't see the church.)

          I remenber seeing something somewhere about using strewn-herbs. I just can't remember where. I'll have to look in my books and let you know what I find.

          Marguerite
          (new on the list)
        • Jenne Heise
          Message 4 of 9 , Jun 1, 2000
            Hm. Southernwood is not listed among the 20 herbs that Tusser suggests for
            strewing, but multiple authors claim that it was so esteemed in France as
            a moth repellent and clothes scent that it was called 'garderobe'.

            "Look," she said tiredly, "the next time you decide to rearrange reality,
            let me know beforehand, alright? I'll take vacation someplace quiet,
            like Bosnia."
          • kcncress@aol.com
            Message 5 of 9 , Jun 1, 2000
              Thank you Auntie M....

              Our Lilies War is coming up next week, and my thought was to cut as much as I
              could and present it bundled with Lavender to the Queen, to give as she sees
              fit. I had thought Southernwood would be good to repel insects...hope it
              works. Each year I cut pennyroyal by the handfuls to line my pavilion
              floor, and strangely we are relatively free of ticks--ick!

              Dejaniera
            • Aelfwyn@aol.com
              Message 6 of 9 , Jun 1, 2000
                In a message dated 6/1/00 8:56:09 PM Eastern Daylight Time, kcncress@...
                writes:

                << Each year I cut pennyroyal by the handfuls to line my pavilion
                floor, and strangely we are relatively free of ticks--ick!

                Dejaniera >>
                What a neat idea! I live in a period pavilion at camping events, wear period
                clothes and tend to cook period foods, but never thought of strewing any
                herbs on the "flooring" or around the wall base. Hmm. Anybody have any plant
                strewing ideas to keep the %$*^%#@)^% mosquitos away?
                Aelfwyn
              • newbrg@aol.com
                Message 7 of 9 , Jun 2, 2000
                  In a message dated Thu, 1 Jun 2000 10:09:23 PM Eastern Daylight Time, Aelfwyn@... writes:

                  >Anybody have any plant
                  >strewing ideas to keep the %$*^%#@)^% mosquitos away?

                  Sweet Woodruff, strewn or hung in bunches, has its fans. You can burn it for a "bug bomb," too, if things get desperate, but it's TOXIC (just like modern bug bombs).

                  This is my first year growing southernwood, seems to be okay so far. Why is it that practically everything in my garden is in the "insect repellent" category? <g>

                  Johanna
                • argente@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 9 , Jun 4, 2000
                    How does Sweet Woodruff differ from the woodruff I use in May Wine??

                    argente

                    Message 9 of 9 , Jun 4, 2000
                      >How does Sweet Woodruff differ from the woodruff I use in May Wine??
                      >
                      >argente

                      It's the same plant (yeah)

                      Auntie M