Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: Easter Egg Redux

  • Lila Richards
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 14, 2004
      It's very simple really--you will laugh!
      Put 4 cups whole fat milk and your choice of fresh chopped herb into a heavy saucepan and heat
      (etc.)

      Do you mind if I publish this recipe in our barony's A&S magazine (due out next month)? I'll be sure to give you credit, and I'll send you a copy of the magazine if you care to send me your address privately.

      Sinech.
      __________________________
      An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil
       (The Truth against the World)
    • Beth Beaver
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 14, 2004
        It is great.  I want to try it too.  If I successfully create a yummy cheese, I will want to share it as well.  I will be glad to give you credit and I will let you know when I use it.

        Thanks again.

        Elia
        It's very simple really--you will laugh!
        Put 4 cups whole fat milk and your choice of fresh chopped herb into a heavy saucepan and heat
        (etc.)

        Do you mind if I publish this recipe in our barony's A&S magazine (due out next month)? I'll be sure to give you credit, and I'll send you a copy of the magazine if you care to send me your address privately.

        Sinech.
        __________________________
        An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil
         (The Truth against the World)

        Yahoo! Groups Links

      • Apollonia de Avena
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 15, 2004
          Of course you may publish it!
          When I was reading over my instructions I forgot to tell everyone some trouble-shooting hints:
          1.  It may take an hour to drain all the whey or it may take 2-3 days.  If it takes more than an hour or so, place your colander/cheesecloth set-up in the refrigerator (with cheesecloth twisted at top).  You can speed up the draining by puting something heavy on top (like another bowl with a 5lb bag of sugar in it).
          2.  Also, during the heating step, you may need to add more acid if the curd does not separate from the whey (I've used up to 1/4 cup).
          3.  I find that if you use heavy cream as part of your milk, the cheese comes out creamier and spreadable (like cream cheese).  I am going to try one soon with pineapple juice as the acid and use a little sugar when I add my salt and make a pineapple cream cheese spread.  I'll let you know if it turns out.

          I would love a copy of your Baron's magazine!  I will email you with my address privately.
          Lady Apollonia

          Lila Richards <lilar@...> wrote:
          It's very simple really--you will laugh!
          Put 4 cups whole fat milk and your choice of fresh chopped herb into a heavy saucepan and heat
          (etc.)

          Do you mind if I publish this recipe in our barony's A&S magazine (due out next month)? I'll be sure to give you credit, and I'll send you a copy of the magazine if you care to send me your address privately.

          Sinech.
          __________________________
          An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil
           (The Truth against the World)

          Yahoo! Groups Links

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Beth Beaver
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 15, 2004
            Thanks.

            Lady Elia

          • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
            Message 5 of 10 , Feb 3, 2004
              > Jadwiga, could you re-post your link to your site where you did your
              > period-dye Easter eggs? Someone's asking on another list, and I know I
              > have it in my files Some Where (you know what my house looks like;
              > imagine what my computer files are like!).

              Bah. Finally got my links fixed.

              Here are the updated links:
              http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/eggs/dyedeggs.html
              http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/eggs/eggdyes.html

              She gave him a look that indicated that her capacity for Not Putting People
              Through Walls No Matter How Much They Deserve It had been exhausted.