Easter Egg Redux

  • Corwyn and Carowyn
    Message 1 of 10 , Jan 13, 2004
      Greetings to the list, and sorry for the bandwidth.

      Jadwiga, could you re-post your link to your site where you did your
      period-dye Easter eggs? Someone's asking on another list, and I know I
      have it in my files Some Where (you know what my house looks like;
      imagine what my computer files are like!).

      Yeesh. We now return you to your friendly herbal list.

      What's everyone doing right now herbally? I'm doing glass beads right
      now in the kitchen, so herbal things are Right Out till the hot torch
      moves.

      -Caro, getting ready for a Spanish event

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • Apollonia de Avena
      Message 2 of 10 , Jan 13, 2004
        Our Shire is having our monthly Cooking and Herbal Guild meeting tomorrow night and we are going to make herbal farmer's cheese for our upcoming feast.  We are also bottling some cordials we have had maturing.  And we are making more herbal face cloths (white washcloths dipped in weak herbal infusions, rolled up jelly-roll style, placed into zip-lock baggies and frozen) to be used by our fighters and onlookers during our upcoming event.  It is almost always hot here and cold/partially frozen cloths to wipe your face is a great treat!
        Lady Apollonia de Avena
        Shire of Seawinds (Corpus Christi, TX)
        Kingdom of Ansteorra

        Corwyn and Carowyn <silveroak@...> wrote:

        Greetings to the list, and sorry for the bandwidth.

        Jadwiga, could you re-post your link to your site where you did your
        period-dye Easter eggs?  Someone's asking on another list, and I know I
        have it in my files Some Where (you know what my house looks like;
        imagine what my computer files are like!).

        Yeesh.  We now return you to your friendly herbal list.

        What's everyone doing right now herbally?  I'm doing glass beads right
        now in the kitchen, so herbal things are Right Out till the hot torch
        moves.

        -Caro, getting ready for a Spanish event

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

        Yahoo! Groups Links

        Do you Yahoo!?
      • Amanda
        Message 3 of 10 , Jan 13, 2004
          Would you be so kind as to share the recipie or point me in the
          direction of the recipie for your herbal farmer's cheese? Thank you!

          Norina de Lessley
          Constellation

          --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Apollonia de Avena
          <apollonia_de_avena@y...> wrote:
          > Our Shire is having our monthly Cooking and Herbal Guild meeting
          tomorrow night and we are going to make herbal farmer's cheese for
          our upcoming feast. We are also bottling some cordials we have had
          maturing. And we are making more herbal face cloths (white
          washcloths dipped in weak herbal infusions, rolled up jelly-roll
          style, placed into zip-lock baggies and frozen) to be used by our
          fighters and onlookers during our upcoming event. It is almost
          always hot here and cold/partially frozen cloths to wipe your face is
          a great treat!
          > Lady Apollonia de Avena
          > Shire of Seawinds (Corpus Christi, TX)
          > Kingdom of Ansteorra
          >
          > Corwyn and Carowyn <silveroak@j...> wrote:
          >
          > Greetings to the list, and sorry for the bandwidth.
          >
          > Jadwiga, could you re-post your link to your site where you did your
          > period-dye Easter eggs? Someone's asking on another list, and I
          know I
          > have it in my files Some Where (you know what my house looks like;
          > imagine what my computer files are like!).
          >
          > Yeesh. We now return you to your friendly herbal list.
          >
          > What's everyone doing right now herbally? I'm doing glass beads
          right
          > now in the kitchen, so herbal things are Right Out till the hot
          torch
          > moves.
          >
          > -Caro, getting ready for a Spanish event

          > Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

          > SCA-Herbalist disclaimer: This list is primarily for discussion of
          medieval
          > and renaissance herbalism and herbalism in the SCA. Please verify
          any health
          > information in other sources and/or with a qualified health
          professional.

          > [Email to SCA-Herbalist-unsubscribe@egroups.com to leave this list]

          Service.

        • Apollonia de Avena
          Message 4 of 10 , Jan 14, 2004
            It's very simple really--you will laugh!
            Put 4 cups whole fat milk and your choice of fresh chopped herb into a heavy saucepan and heat on low until it reaches 110-115 degrees F.  Add 2 tablespoons lemon juice and salt to taste (more than you think).  Once you see the curd separate from the whey, remove from heat and pour into clean muslin cloth (you don't want the large porous/thready stuff--just get what you would use for clothing) placed into a colander over a large bowl or the sink (Your cloth should be large enough to cover the entire colander).  Allow to drain undisturbed until the drippage slows.  Pull up the sides of the cloth and twist closed just above the curd, place one hand where the twist starts, and squeeze frimly, manually pressing out any remaining liquid.  Continue squeezing until you do not have any more liquid dripping out.  Place the cheese into plastic wrap and refrigerate until cool.  Crumble over salads or eat by it self.  This recipe makes about 1/2 pound cheese, depending on the fat content of your milk.
            You might want to half the recipe your first try so you can get the hang of it.  You can use any acid for the lemon juice--try substituting flavored vinegars or other acidic fruit juices.  You can even add sugar and spices to the recipe.  One of my favorites has onion and chives.  You can also get a richer flavor/texture by substituting some of the milk for cream, half-and-half, or buttermilk.

            Have fun and enjoy!
            Lady Apollonia

            <apollonia_de_avena@y...> wrote:
            > Our Shire is having our monthly Cooking and Herbal Guild meeting
            tomorrow night and we are going to make herbal farmer's cheese for
            our upcoming feast.  We are also bottling some cordials we have had
            maturing.  And we are making more herbal face cloths (white
            washcloths dipped in weak herbal infusions, rolled up jelly-roll
            style, placed into zip-lock baggies and frozen) to be used by our
            fighters and onlookers during our upcoming event.  It is almost
            always hot here and cold/partially frozen cloths to wipe your face is
            a great treat!
            > Lady Apollonia de Avena
            > Shire of Seawinds (Corpus Christi, TX)
            > Kingdom of Ansteorra
            >
            > Corwyn and Carowyn <silveroak@j...> wrote:
            >
            > Greetings to the list, and sorry for the bandwidth.
            >
            > Jadwiga, could you re-post your link to your site where you did your
            > period-dye Easter eggs?  Someone's asking on another list, and I
            know I
            > have it in my files Some Where (you know what my house looks like;
            > imagine what my computer files are like!).
            >
            > Yeesh.  We now return you to your friendly herbal list.
            >
            > What's everyone doing right now herbally?  I'm doing glass beads
            right
            > now in the kitchen, so herbal things are Right Out till the hot
            torch
            > moves.
            >
            > -Caro, getting ready for a Spanish event

            > Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

            > SCA-Herbalist disclaimer: This list is primarily for discussion of
            medieval
            > and renaissance herbalism and herbalism in the SCA. Please verify
            any health
            > information in other sources and/or with a qualified health
            professional.

            > [Email to SCA-Herbalist-unsubscribe@egroups.com to leave this list]

            Service.

            Yahoo! Groups Links

            Do you Yahoo!?

          • Tchipakkan
            Message 5 of 10 , Jan 14, 2004
              On Wednesday, January 14, 2004, at 01:31 PM, Apollonia de Avena wrote:

              >  (Your cloth should be large enough to cover the entire colander).

              When I do cheese I use clothes pins to hold the cloth to the colander.
              Tchipakkan
            • Lila Richards
              Message 6 of 10 , Jan 14, 2004
                It's very simple really--you will laugh!
                Put 4 cups whole fat milk and your choice of fresh chopped herb into a heavy saucepan and heat
                (etc.)

                Do you mind if I publish this recipe in our barony's A&S magazine (due out next month)? I'll be sure to give you credit, and I'll send you a copy of the magazine if you care to send me your address privately.

                Sinech.
                __________________________
                An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil
                 (The Truth against the World)
              • Beth Beaver
                Message 7 of 10 , Jan 14, 2004
                  It is great.  I want to try it too.  If I successfully create a yummy cheese, I will want to share it as well.  I will be glad to give you credit and I will let you know when I use it.

                  Thanks again.

                  Elia

                  Message 8 of 10 , Jan 15, 2004
                    Of course you may publish it!
                    When I was reading over my instructions I forgot to tell everyone some trouble-shooting hints:
                    1.  It may take an hour to drain all the whey or it may take 2-3 days.  If it takes more than an hour or so, place your colander/cheesecloth set-up in the refrigerator (with cheesecloth twisted at top).  You can speed up the draining by puting something heavy on top (like another bowl with a 5lb bag of sugar in it).
                    2.  Also, during the heating step, you may need to add more acid if the curd does not separate from the whey (I've used up to 1/4 cup).
                    3.  I find that if you use heavy cream as part of your milk, the cheese comes out creamier and spreadable (like cream cheese).  I am going to try one soon with pineapple juice as the acid and use a little sugar when I add my salt and make a pineapple cream cheese spread.  I'll let you know if it turns out.

                    I would love a copy of your Baron's magazine!  I will email you with my address privately.
                    Lady Apollonia

                    Message 9 of 10 , Jan 15, 2004
                      Thanks.

                      Lady Elia

                    • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
                      Message 10 of 10 , Feb 3, 2004
                        > Jadwiga, could you re-post your link to your site where you did your
                        > period-dye Easter eggs? Someone's asking on another list, and I know I
                        > have it in my files Some Where (you know what my house looks like;
                        > imagine what my computer files are like!).

                        Bah. Finally got my links fixed.

                        Here are the updated links:
                        http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/eggs/dyedeggs.html
                        http://www.gallowglass.org/jadwiga/SCA/eggs/eggdyes.html

                        She gave him a look that indicated that her capacity for Not Putting People
                        Through Walls No Matter How Much They Deserve It had been exhausted.