period handwashing table

  • Eleyn Scrivener
    Message 1 of 11 , Jan 4, 2004
      Greetings!

      Gave this a go at our local 12th night get together last night.

      Unfortunately, my camera batteries were dead or I'd have pictures to share.

      For being a last minute idea, it went amazingly well. We had 4 scented waters: lavender/rosemary, clove/saffron, rose geranium/lemon verbena and something else that smelled heavenly. We set up 4 picthers, a bowl in front of each and infront of the bowls were small towels.

      There were about 30 people there and everyone lined up to give it a try. Oh! we had a tray over to the side for guests to deposit their damp towels. Everyone smelled wonderful afterwards!

      It was a lot of fun and everyone seemed to enjoy it. Thanks for sharing your research Jadwiga!

      Eleyn Scrivener
      eleyn@...
      http://www.thesinisterscribe.com
    • rkslavin@excite.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Jan 5, 2004
        I have a question about this. Not the oils used (sounds _wonderful_!), but the method. I don't mean to put a damper on anything... but, was the water discarded after each person and the bowl washed? Otherwise, if people used the same water (sounds like you had the fresh towel thing covered), as our forebears discovered, it's a great way to spread bacteria.
        peace,
        Edana (Ay-dah-nah)
        (MKA Robin)

        Message 3 of 11 , Jan 5, 2004
          > I have a question about this. Not the oils used (sounds _wonderful_!), but the method. I don't mean to put a damper on anything... but, was the water discarded after each person and the bowl washed? Otherwise, if people used the same water (sounds like you had the fresh towel thing covered), as our forebears discovered, it's a great way to spread bacteria.

          In period 'handlaving' for the table people hold their hands OVER the bowl
          and the water is poured over the hands and into the bowl below. Since
          people don't put their hands in the bowl of used water, this isn't a
          problem. You are thinking of modern fingerbowls, I think. (Also, the
          handwashing at table is purely ceremonial-- people in period were expected
          to come to the table with clean hands and nails, all the manners books
          say so.

          My article on period handwashing:

          http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/handwater.html

          -- Jadwiga, cranky with the flue.

          "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists certainly as love and
          generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to
          your life its highest beauty and joy." -- Francis P. Church
        • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
          Message 4 of 11 , Jan 5, 2004
            I'm glad to hear it went so well! I'm trying to get this adopted at more
            feasts in my local area, too.

            Message 5 of 11 , Jan 6, 2004
              >In period 'handlaving' for the table people hold their hands OVER the bowl<BR>
              >and the water is poured over the hands and into the bowl below. Since<BR>
              >people don't put their hands in the bowl of used water, this isn't a<BR>
              >problem.

              That's exactly what we did. The washee held his/her hands over the "slop"
              bowl while the sewer (person pouring water) poured the scented water over
              the washee's hands (and into the slop bowl).

              I did have a bottle of instant hand sanitizer available, but no one
              wanted to use it. <shrug>

              It was fun, but I wish I could have gotten pictures. Would have made it
              easier to explain. : )

              HTH,
              Eleyn
            • Eleyn Scrivener
              Message 6 of 11 , Jan 6, 2004
                ><tt>
                >I'm glad to hear it went so well! I'm trying to get this adopted at more<BR>
                >feasts in my local area, too.<BR>

                Thanks! It was a lot of fun. Don't know if we'll be able to do it at our next big event (march). Actually I don't know if I'll be able to organize it. Something about having to care for a newborn. ; - ) Plus, dunno if they had such things in Beowulf's time. (that is the theme for the event)

                37 weeks preggo and ready for someone else to "carry the baby,"
                Eleyn
              • Suhayma@cox.net
                Message 7 of 11 , Jan 6, 2004

                  Message 8 of 11 , Jan 6, 2004
                    No, not cranky in your message anyway! Thank you for replying and I too am glad it was such a success. I agree that it is a great idea and practice. I didn't understand the hygeine of the day, such as it was. I'm in the health field and have been at non-SCA (well, THAT explains it - lol) events where the same bowl is passed for hand-washing. ICK! ICK! ICK!
                    peace,
                    Edana
                    (AY-dah-nah, MKA Robin)

                    Message: 2
                    Date: Mon, 5 Jan 2004 22:15:59 -0500 (EST)
                    From: <jenne@...>
                    Subject: Re: RE: period handwashing table

                    > I have a question about this. Not the oils used (sounds _wonderful_!), but the method. I don't mean to put a damper on anything... but, was the water discarded after each person and the bowl washed? Otherwise, if people used the same water (sounds like you had the fresh towel thing covered), as our forebears discovered, it's a great way to spread bacteria.

                    In period 'handlaving' for the table people hold their hands OVER the bowl
                    and the water is poured over the hands and into the bowl below. Since
                    people don't put their hands in the bowl of used water, this isn't a
                    problem. You are thinking of modern fingerbowls, I think. (Also, the
                    handwashing at table is purely ceremonial-- people in period were expected
                    to come to the table with clean hands and nails, all the manners books
                    say so.

                    My article on period handwashing:

                    http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/handwater.html

                    -- Jadwiga, cranky with the flue.

                    "Yes, Virginia, there is a Santa Claus. He exists certainly as love and
                    generosity and devotion exist, and you know that they abound and give to
                    your life its highest beauty and joy." -- Francis P. Church

                    Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
                  • Tchipakkan
                    Message 9 of 11 , Jan 7, 2004
                      you want "ick, ick, ick!" how about that beginning "washing" scene in
                      _The 13th Warrior"?
                    • rkslavin@excite.com
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jan 8, 2004
                        No, no, no... ick, please! lol. And I haven't seen that movie... yikes, is that a terrible thing to admit?
                        peace,
                        Edana

                        Message: 2

                        Message 11 of 11 , Jan 9, 2004
                          Nah, there was no herbal stuff in 13th warrior- cute guys, yes.
                          (cleaning one's sinuses into FOLLOWED by drinking from the communal
                          washbowl also. As I said- ick!)
                          Tchipakkan