Re: [SCA-Herbalist] lemon verbena flowers

  • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Dec 16, 2003
      > Re: [SCA-Herbalist] lemon verbena flowersthanks for the information - do you have a reference for it?
      > I couldn't find anything about the flowers particularly in the references that I have - so presumed that it would have the same effect -

      Bear in mind that lemon verbena wasn't really known in period inside the
      Old World...

      ".. objections to the evils of political correctness have become a
      hypocritical reflex that lets people justify all kinds of rude behavior
      while telling themselves that they're actually standing up for freedom and
      values and tradition and stuff."
      -- Phil Agre, author, Red Rock Eater News Service.
    • Tchipakkan
      Message 2 of 7 , Dec 16, 2003
        Re: [SCA-Herbalist] lemon verbena flowers
        thanks for the information - do you have a reference for it?
        I couldn't find anything about the flowers particularly in the references that I have - so presumed that it would have the same effect -

        would they have been used in fingerbowls for their perfume or their effect, as they are quite pretty little flowers - like smaller versions of elderflower.

        -elena
        The book that said they were used in fingerbowls is _The New Age Herbalist _,who also agree about the anti-nausea/flatulence use. The difference between flowers and leaves is my own personal experience- which certainly could be wrong, as, for example, the flowers and leaves of Mullein have two different uses. I was thinking more in terms of how the leaves and roots of raspberries, etc. have similar use, but different strength- as I said, personal experience. Glad you brought it up. I should have said so along with my original post.
        --
        Tchipakkan
        Arastorm the Golden
        Message 3 of 7 , Dec 19, 2003
          Try them as a flavor for sun tea
          i find that for a gal of sun tea one leafe when you brew is too
          much and im a lemon lover
          if you find any other uses let me hear

          - In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, "Julie & Derek Craig"
          <hylander@i...> wrote:
          > Re: [SCA-Herbalist] lemon verbena flowersthanks for the
          information - do you have a reference for it?
          > I couldn't find anything about the flowers particularly in the
          references that I have - so presumed that it would have the same
          effect -

          > would they have been used in fingerbowls for their perfume or
          their effect, as they are quite pretty little flowers - like smaller
          versions of elderflower.

          > -elena

          lemon verbena flowers (Lippia citriodora).
          > It is now summer here in nz and this is the perfect time to
          pick the leaves -mmmmm fantastic aroma - but I have never used the
          flowers before and they are most prolific this year.

          > thanks in advance
          >
          > Elena
          >
          > Lemon Verbena is said to be good for nausea and flatulence. The
          flowers were used in fingerbowls and potpourri. I think the flowers
          lose more fragrance when drying than leaves do- maybe they'd be good
          to infuse in an oil for aromatherapy. Anyone know? I just like
          lemon verbena as an anti-nauseant when I'm tired of mint or
          camomile. It also mixes with other herbs well- the strength helps
          cover less appealing flavours, like valerian or coltsfoot.
          > Tchipakkan
          > --
          > "The spirit of liberty is the spirit which is not sure that it
          is right". -Judge Learned Hand

          > SCA-Herbalist disclaimer: This list is primarily for discussion
          of medieval
          > and renaissance herbalism and herbalism in the SCA. Please
          verify any health
          > information in other sources and/or with a qualified health
          professional.

          > [Email to SCA-Herbalist-unsubscribe@egroups.com to leave this
          list]

          > Yahoo! Groups Sponsor