RE: [SCA-Herbalist] Digest Number 859

  • Jennifer LaFountain
    Message 1 of 1 , Oct 31, 2003
      Oh that cream sounds heavenly! Yes, if you wanted to share, I'd certainly
      appreciate it!

      From: "Misha" <ssithgoddess@...>
      2. Re: Rosewater creams in period
      From: "gianottadallafiora" <christianetrue@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2003 16:54:51 -0500
      From: "Misha" <ssithgoddess@...>
      Subject: Re: Rosewater creams in period

      I would love to see those recipes you used! They sound heavenly!

      Misha
      Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 17:48:46 -0000
      From: "gianottadallafiora" <christianetrue@...>

      I was taught this recipe orally by Jeannine Vannais, who used to run the
      herbal
      programs and gardens at Pennsbury Manor. This is the recreation of William
      Penn's
      country home in Bucks County, Pa., dating from the late 1680s. I believe
      this recipe
      came from Hannah Penn's receipt book, which Pennsbury has copies of (I think
      the
      original is kept at the state historical society in Pittsburgh).

      Anyway, how I did it, and how Jeannine redacted it ...

      To create the infused oil, take fresh roses, of the more fragranced variety
      (damask,
      Tudor, apothecary roses, or even a really fragrant tea rose). Take your
      roses, put a
      layer in a ceramic crock, cover with mild almond or olive oil, add more
      roses, cover
      with more oil, etc., until the crock is full. Sit the crock out in the sun
      for a few days to
      a week. Then strain the glop through a linen bag; suspend the bag from a
      hook above
      a bowl, and once it stops dripping, squeeze it to get the last of the oil
      out. This is
      messy, but leaves your hands nice and soft <g>.

      You'll get a fairly large amount of oil out of this; put it in brown glass
      bottles and if
      you're not using it right away, stick it in your refrigerator.

      To make the cream:

      Take about a cup of the oil, and set it to warm in a double boiler. Use an
      enameled
      pot rather than steel or aluminum. Put in the oil 2 ounces or so of beeswax.
      White
      refined beeswax gives a whiter cream, but the yellow beeswax smells better,
      in my
      opinion, plus it's more period. Keep the heat on the double boiler low, you
      don't want
      the oil to bubble or scorch. Keep in mind the more beeswax you use, the
      stiffer your
      cream will be. I found about two-three ounces works pretty well. Once the
      beeswax
      has just melted into the oil, take the mixture and pour it into a metal or
      ceramic bowl
      whose bottom is set into another bowl partly filled with cold water. Then
      take your
      rosewater and pour it in a steady stream into the oil/wax mixture, mixing it
      briskly
      with a whisk or a small rubber spatula. The cream will solidify and turn
      whitish as the
      rosewater is added to it. When the cream is the thickness or thinness you
      desire, stop
      adding rosewater.

      Add your essential oils to taste, mixing thoroughly. I added five drops of
      lavender oil,
      three drops of rosemary, and 13 drops of orange blossom. If you were to use
      it on
      your face, I would use rosemary and thyme, or leave it unscented. When I did
      this with
      Jeannine, we left it unscented.

      Store this cream in a cool place, in brown glass jars or ceramic jars; I
      have some at
      work in a little jar on my desk.

      Gianotta