Re: [SCA-Herbalist] projects

  • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
    Message 1 of 20 , Oct 6, 2003
      > John French's book _The Art of Distillation_ is totally on-line at the
      > University of Pennsylvania. I don't have the actual URL, but type in
      > John French or "The Art of Distillation" or "University of Pennsylvania"
      > or "Schoenberg Center for Electronic Text & Image" and see what pops.
      > This is what my husband is doing a long-term project on.

      Actual URLS:
      http://www.library.upenn.edu/etext/collections/smith/french/

      > It was published in 1651, but if you read his preface and notes, you can
      > see he's been working on it for a looong time - and cribbing from the
      > texts that went before! The boy's a hoot.

      BTW, it's 17th century.

      "in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
      (In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)
    • Corwyn and Carowyn
      Message 2 of 20 , Oct 6, 2003
        >> It was published in 1651, but if you read his preface and notes, you
        >can
        >> see he's been working on it for a looong time - and cribbing from
        >the
        >> texts that went before! The boy's a hoot.
        >
        >BTW, it's 17th century.

        (sigh) I *did* say read the preface - specifically, the "To the Readers"
        part. Sheesh.

        -Caro, going away now

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
      • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
        Message 3 of 20 , Oct 6, 2003
          > >> It was published in 1651, but if you read his preface and notes, you
          > >can
          > >> see he's been working on it for a looong time - and cribbing from
          > >the
          > >> texts that went before! The boy's a hoot.
          > >
          > >BTW, it's 17th century.
          >
          > (sigh) I *did* say read the preface - specifically, the "To the Readers"
          > part. Sheesh.

          Oops, I mean '17th century vs. 15th century'

        • newbrg@aol.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Oct 7, 2003
            In a message dated 10/6/03 11:13:58 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
            giudoniccolo@... writes:

            > And I already see an article forwarded onto the list as I'm typing this to
            > you...so I will be bowing down in your presence for a long, long time. (*
            > kisses the hems of your garments*)

            Actually, it would partially repay that debt if you let me/us put your
            article into the aforesaid guild's newsletter (of which I am the Chronicler). Just a
            thought.

            Johanna
          • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
            Message 5 of 20 , Oct 14, 2003
              > Anywho, in regards to where I've looked: I've literally scoured all of
              >the bookstores I can find (B&N, online sources, antique stores, anything
              >that MIGHT have a book or information)...and I keep batting zero. [Maybe
              >I'm being too picky on what I'm looking for? I think this may be it,
              >'cause I keep trying to look for anything on Italian apothecaries, mainly
              >15th Century Florence. I figure, what a better time to be an apothecary
              >in Florence than during the height of the Medici reign? At least I'd have
              >been kept busy...*hehehe*]

              Ok, I ran over to the Moravian College library which has a bunch more
              books on Guilds than we do, and found two that are related to your topic.

              _Doctors and Medicine in Early Renaissance Florence_, by Katherin Park
              (Princeton NJ: Princeton University Press, 1985)

              _The Guilds of Florence_ by Edgcumbe Stanley (NY: Benjamin Bloom, 1967).

              Both of these are out of print, but are relatively common in libraries.
              Try Interlibrary loaning them; if you can't get them I can try some other
              methods for getting you copies of the affected pages.

              The big trick about Florence is that the apothecary guild was actually the
              Guild of Doctors, Grocers and Apothecaries, so apothecaries were pretty
              strongly regulated by the Doctors by the 15th century, or so I find from
              my browsing...

              "Somedays the struggle just gets tired..." -- Renee Senolges
            • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
              Message 6 of 20 , Oct 27, 2003
                > In case no one has told you recently, mi'lady...YOU ROCK!!! Thank you so much...I look forward to seeing what you can find out there. And I'll see what I can find in the way of academic libraries around here in the Midwest (*fehs*).

                Did I send you the two sources that I thought had good info for this?

                "Our whole American way of life is a great war of ideas, and librarians
                are the arms dealers selling weapons to both sides." --James Quinn
              • Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
                Message 7 of 20 , Oct 27, 2003
                  That would be an affirmative, mi'lady!!!
                  *is off playing with books*

                  Until the next time,
                  Giudo di Niccolo

                  jenne@... wrote:
                  Did I send you the two sources that I thought had good info for this?

                  -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika

                  Giudo di Niccolo Brunelleschi
                  Shire of Deodar, Kingdom of Calontir
                  Co-Founder of the Calontir Language Interest Group
                  Member of the Academy of St. Gabriel
                  Persona Live Journal: http://www.blurty.com/~giudo

                  * I had a reality check once...it bounced though. *
                  * Good news...my IQ test came back negative. *

                  Do you Yahoo!?