Ideas for the guild

  • jenne@tulgey.browser.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Feb 4, 2000
      In addition to possible themed events and/or meetings at specific events,
      I'm wondering if people have other ideas about the Herb Guild.

      At least one person has written to me positively about the idea of
      'levels' in the guild (if we get the guild off the ground) where we
      acknowledge others' levels of expertise-- somewhat like the levels of
      master in Athena's Thimble, the kingdom needlework guild.

      In addition, I know that someone down in Caer Adamant has a demonstration herb
      garden going and has had interest in having those who are in the area
      'field trip' down there when the weather is warmer... Also, a group visit
      to the Cloisters and their gardens in summer could be fun, if one of us set
      up a tour date.

      Someone suggested the idea of a guild badge (so we can recognize other
      herbophiles)-- and I would be willing to submit a badge for the guild,
      with the recognition that if we get a royal charter the badge would
      be transferred to the kingdom for the guild. Has anyone got any ideas for
      good herb guild imagery for a badge?

      I'm going to try to post links to useful web pages to the links page for
      this list on Onelist. So if you have a page on herbs or a class handout
      on the web that you haven't mentioned yet, please email the list and/or me
      and I'll post the link! If you have files that aren't already web-capable
      I'll be happy to put them up for you if you like.

      -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Jenne Heise)
    • Betty Braaksma
      Message 2 of 6 , Feb 4, 2000
        Hi Jadwiga,

        I really like your ideas of the levels and the badge. Just off the top of my
        head, how about something like a wreath of bay leaves or roses (something
        recognizable to non-herbalists but still meaningful) surrounding a mortar &
        pestle for the badge design?

        FYI I'm currently engaged in researching Mary Gardens and have my own living
        Mary Garden in development. I hope to publish something for Northshield in
        the next few months and would be happy to share.

        cheers,

        Berengaria of Outremer aka Betty Braaksma
      • DENISE VANDYKE
        Message 3 of 6 , Feb 4, 2000
          According to the College of Heralds (iirc) both laurel (bay) and rose
          wreaths are reserved for regalia for certain peerages/awards. Maybe a
          wreath of another kind of flower? I like the mortar and pestle idea.

          Also, does anyone know who I would contact in An Tir (specifically
          Rivers Region) about the guild? I'll be moving into a house soon and
          want to get more into growing and using herbs.

          TIA,
          Katherine Henderson
          Terra Pomaria/Coeur du Val, Rivers, An Tir
          (Denise VanDyke, Salem, OR)

          Message 4 of 6 , Feb 4, 2000
            > I really like your ideas of the levels and the badge. Just off the top of my
            > head, how about something like a wreath of bay leaves or roses (something
            > recognizable to non-herbalists but still meaningful) surrounding a mortar &
            > pestle for the badge design?

            I like the idea except that bay leaf wreaths and rose wreaths are actually
            currently restricted by the College of Heralds-- to SCA groups (laurel
            leaves) and Ladies of the rose.

            However! Since badges are actually encouraged to be 'fieldless' and have
            all the bits stuck together, we might be able to either stick something ON
            a mortar and pestle (some herb or leaf?) or stick a mortar and pestle ON
            something-- let me check with my herald friends and see what might be
            available.

            > FYI I'm currently engaged in researching Mary Gardens and have my own living
            > Mary Garden in development. I hope to publish something for Northshield in
            > the next few months and would be happy to share.

            Wonderful! I had a mary garden at my mom's house, inspired by Rosetta
            Clarkson's _Green Enchantment_ and the chapter about the gardening monk.

            Got a question: anybody interested in setting up a 'portable' herb garden
            display at Pennsic or a kingdom event, with everyone bringing one or two
            plants? We did something similar at our Celtic Classic demo (one of my
            friends asked me if I was taking my garden for a walk!) and it was well
            liked.

            disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

            "You do not lead by hitting people over the head -- that's assault,
            not leadership." Dwight D. Eisenhower
          • Argente@aol.com
            Message 5 of 6 , Feb 5, 2000
              Rosemary or sage. Especially sage due to its alternate meaning wisdom. Bay
              leaves look too much like laurel leaves.
            • Jenne Heise
              Message 6 of 6 , Feb 6, 2000
                On Sat, 5 Feb 2000 Argente@... wrote:
                > Rosemary or sage. Especially sage due to its alternate meaning wisdom. Bay
                > leaves look too much like laurel leaves.

                Sounds good to me: A mortar&pestle with a rosemary sprig or sage leaf on
                it. The mortar would have to be gold or white, if we wanted the leaves to
                be green. I'll get someone to conflict-check it.