Antique Roses--More Resources

  • Sharon Gordon
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 29, 2003
      I posted info about the Antique Rose Emporium

      >Another resource for Old Roses is
      http://www.antiqueroseemporium.com/
      An especially good thing about their roses is that they are grown on
      their own roots. (Lots of roses with good rose hips.)

      Everyone I've ever known has had great service from them and loved their
      roses.

      Caro reported experiencing trouble from them.

      So I posted to a national gardening list which has a vast breadth and depth
      of experienced gardeners to see if others report any trouble with the
      company. All the posters from that list report excellent service and plants
      in the present and in past years. So it appears that Caro's experience is
      very unusual.

      However, if you are unsure about things, one way you can protect yourself is
      to order with a credit card, and if you have problems, dispute the charge
      with your credit card company. If a company doesn't ship product, the credit
      card company can subtract the money from the company's account and refund it
      to yours.

      The Antique Rose Emporium ships from October to April, so this is a good
      time to order and go ahead and get in the shipping line up if you want to
      plant them in the fall.

      One of the main reasons I like them more than many other places is that they
      grow the roses on their own roots. When you buy grafted ones, you run the
      risk of the expensive rose that you paid the $24 for dying back in a bad
      winter and being left with the $1 grafting root rose. One way to improve
      your odds though if you can only find a rose you want in a grafted version
      is to peg some of the rose canes down and root them (rose care books usually
      have good info and drawings on how to do this). That way the center of the
      rose plant will be the grafted one, and the surrounding ones(or you can root
      them into a pot, or dig up and move them) will be the rose on it's own root.
      This ups the odds that rose you want will survive.

      There is also a respected place that used to be known as Hardy Roses of the
      North which is now Russian Roses of the North which also does own root
      roses. I don't know about their service since the name switch though. Info
      at
      http://www.russianroseforthenorth.com/S

      Cyndi Johnson maintains a detailed and extensive list of plant catalogs.
      One section is devoted to roses
      http://www.qnet.com/~johnsonj/Roses.htm You may be able to find places more
      local to you or with similar growing conditions which ups the odds of
      survival in your area.

      Sharon
      gordonse@...