Re: [SCA-Herbalist] plants in containers - gophers in the ground

  • Tchipakkan
    Message 1 of 14 , Jul 31 7:20 PM
      I've heard that you can plant a fresh ginger root- it will result in a
      lovely house plant, and then you can harvest some occationally- has anyone
      tried this and gotten it to work?
      --
      Tchipakkan
      Arastorm the Golden
      Message 2 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
        I've heard that you can plant a fresh ginger root- it will result in a
        lovely house plant, and then you can harvest some occationally- has anyone
        tried this and gotten it to work?

        ***Yes, and the ginger root pretty much fills up the pot. At times the
        plant dies back like a tulip bulb, but the ginger root is still underground
        in the pot. When it dies back I don't water it as much.

        Sharon
        gordonse@...
      • tempestviolet@comcast.net
        Message 3 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
          Is there any special prep work needed to the ginger root before planting? How
          big of a pot do you need? How much light?

          Dianaim

          > I've heard that you can plant a fresh ginger root- it will result in a
          > lovely house plant, and then you can harvest some occationally- has anyone
          > tried this and gotten it to work?
          >
          > ***Yes, and the ginger root pretty much fills up the pot. At times the
          > plant dies back like a tulip bulb, but the ginger root is still underground
          > in the pot. When it dies back I don't water it as much.
          >
          > Sharon
          > gordonse@...

        • Beth Beaver
          Message 4 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
            I am new to this list as well. I have a hint about gophers. They don't
            like daffodils. I discovered this by accident. I live in the mountains in
            New Mexico. I have tons of gophers. I quit planting tulips because they
            won't live past the first season even if I am lucky. The gophers leave my
            daffodils alone. Then I noticed they stay out of the beds where I planted
            daffodils. Later, I saw an pamphlet at my local green house that verified
            my discovery. Gophers don't like the smell and taste of the roots of
            narcissus type bulbs. They make a pretty border for your garden and keep
            the gophers away.

            I haven't seen an answer (maybe I missed it!) to the question about ideas or
            sources for
            > ideas on medicinal medieval tinctures and vinegars? Anybody know anything
            about this?

            Elia Stefansdottir
            al Barran, Outlands

            Message 5 of 14 , Aug 1, 2003
              In a message dated 7/31/03 10:24:57 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
              tchipakkan@... writes:

              > I've heard that you can plant a fresh ginger root- it will result in a
              > lovely house plant, and then you can harvest some occationally- has anyone
              > tried this and gotten it to work?
              > --
              After taking Lady Merlinia's class at Herbal Symposium, I dashed home to try
              this. For me, it didn't work. Might be root was too old, might be my house is
              too warm, too cold, too dry, too wet -- you know how it goes. I also would
              like to hear from people who had it work. (The example she had to show smelled
              _wonderful_).

              Johanna
            • Sharon Gordon
              Message 6 of 14 , Aug 2, 2003
                I haven't seen an answer (maybe I missed it!) to the question about ideas or
                sources for
                > ideas on medicinal medieval tinctures and vinegars? Anybody know anything
                about this?

                Jadwiga Zajaczkowa jahb@... has a class handout that she compiled on
                Making Herbal Preparations posted at
                http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/preparations.html
                which includes info related to this and more. Maybe she could post more
                info post Pennsic. At the bottom of her the handout is a list of
                references. And there is also a chart from Iasmin de Cordoba on how to
                combine oil and beeswax for balm about 1/4 of the way down.

                Sharon
                gordonse@...
              • Beth Beaver
                Message 7 of 14 , Aug 2, 2003
                  Thanks.

                  Elia Stefansdottir
                  I haven't seen an answer (maybe I missed it!) to the question about ideas or
                  sources for
                  > ideas on medicinal medieval tinctures and vinegars? Anybody know anything
                  about this?

                  Jadwiga Zajaczkowa jahb@... has a class handout that she compiled on
                  Making Herbal Preparations posted at
                  http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/preparations.html
                  which includes info related to this and more. Maybe she could post more
                  info post Pennsic. At the bottom of her the handout is a list of
                  references. And there is also a chart from Iasmin de Cordoba on how to
                  combine oil and beeswax for balm about 1/4 of the way down.

                  Sharon
                  gordonse@...

                • Kay
                  Message 8 of 14 , Aug 2, 2003
                    I will certainly try this one!! Thanks!!

                    I am planning to plant several unused areas on the
                    border of the community garden with daffodils just for
                    the no maintenance and great show of blooms aspects,
                    but I will certainly plant them in my plots too!

                    Katira

                    http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com
                  • Beth Beaver
                    Message 9 of 14 , Aug 2, 2003
                      Good, I hope it works for you too. Gopher purge works too but it spreads
                      like crazy and can encroach on your garden.

                      Elia

                      Message 10 of 14 , Aug 2, 2003
                        Has anyone used a product called SHAKE AWAY?

                        What Critters Does SHAKE AWAY Repel?

                        Small Critters - Fox urine

                        Gopher
                        Woodchuck
                        Rabbit
                        Chipmunk
                        Squirrels
                        Skunk
                        Groundhog
                        Possum
                        Porcupine

                        Rodents - Fox-Bobcat urine

                        Voles
                        Moles
                        Shrews
                        Mice
                        Rats

                        Deer and Large Animals - Coyote urine
                        Deer
                        Elk
                        Armadillo
                        Raccoon
                        Beaver

                        These come in powder form and seem like a real NATURAL
                        way to scare away unwanted wildlife.

                        Katira

                        http://sitebuilder.yahoo.com