Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Most Precious Ointment and bottles

  • HopeAllyson Dwiggins
    Message 1 of 17 , Jul 8, 2003
      Tchipakkan wrote ;
      > One CAN infuse herbs either fresh or dried, also one can warm infuse- as in
      > "Then put to them and the Oyl a quart of White Wine, and set it over the
      > fire, and boyl it to the Consumption of the Wine", OR you can cold infuse-
      > which would be what's going on with "put them in a Pottle of Sallet Oyl, and
      > so let them infuse there till you have all the rest together; for you cannot
      > get them all at one time, but get them as fast as you can".
      > What says the guild? (or at least those in on the project)
      > Shall we dry the herbs that don't come ready just before the war and bring
      > them that way, or bring them in oil? I think adapting amounts (to how much
      > saffron shows up) would be easier wif we just bring herbs.

      Have we made a decision about fresh or dried. I am bringing balm, mint
      (spearmint), and hyssop. I harvest all summer so either is easy. Also, I
      will also bring/get saffron. Every little bit counts.

      I will purchase some of the tins and bottles. Please bring some for me.

      Also, when is the class scheduled for? With three children and a husband
      who lives for fencing, we start negotiating who gets to do what at Pennsic
      early ;)
      Annys
    • Tchipakkan
      Message 2 of 17 , Jul 9, 2003
        > Have we made a decision about fresh or dried. I am bringing balm, mint
        > (spearmint), and hyssop. I harvest all summer so either is easy. Also, I
        > will also bring/get saffron. Every little bit counts.
        I will arbitrarily say dry the herbs for transport unless it's easy for you
        to grab them as you are going out the door. Since we are apparently not
        putting the fresh herbs into oil to hold, balancing amounts will be easier
        if they are all in the same state.

        > I will purchase some of the tins and bottles. Please bring some for me.
        How many do you want- I don't want to pack more than I have to.

        > Also, when is the class scheduled for? With three children and a husband
        > who lives for fencing, we start negotiating who gets to do what at Pennsic
        > early ;)
        > Annys
        I sympathise, but at this point I don't know. We do that negotiation when we
        get to Pennsic and look through the book. If the info is available on line,
        I can't find it.
        --
        Tchipakkan
        Arastorm the Golden