RESOURCE: Food in Roman Britain

  • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 27, 2003
      On oxbowbooks.com

      Food in Roman Britain
      by Joan P. Alcock

      Roman food is commonly known today from the elaborate and rich recipes of
      the gourmet Apicius. Alcock's study, which relies heavily on
      archaeological and environmental evidence, challenges this view and
      demonstrates that, although the British diet was radically altered with
      the arrival of Romans and urbanisation, most Romano-Britons would not have
      known Mediterranean cuisine. Alcock discusses staple foods, such as
      cereals, meat, fish, dairy products, vegetables and fruits, as well as
      herbs and olive oil, cooking methods, the kitchen and dining room and the
      market place. This very accessible study also considers foreign
      influences, introduced crops, products and farming techniques, diet and
      nutrition and the army's diet, largely based on the evidence of skeletal
      remains. 192p, 27 col pls, 101 b/w illus (Tempus 2001)
      ISBN 0752419242. Paperback. Publishers price US $26.99, DBBC Price US
      $14.98

      "What don't die can't live. What don't live can't change. What don't
      change can't learn." -- Terry Pratchett, _Lords and Ladies_
    • Tchipakkan
      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 27, 2003
        > On oxbowbooks.com
        >
        > Food in Roman Britain
        > by Joan P. Alcock
        >
        > Roman food is commonly known today from the elaborate and rich recipes of
        > the gourmet Apicius. Alcock's study, which relies heavily on
        > archaeological and environmental evidence, challenges this view and
        > demonstrates that, although the British diet was radically altered with
        > the arrival of Romans and urbanisation, most Romano-Britons would not have
        > known Mediterranean cuisine. Alcock discusses staple foods, such as
        > cereals, meat, fish, dairy products, vegetables and fruits, as well as
        > herbs and olive oil, cooking methods, the kitchen and dining room and the
        > market place. This very accessible study also considers foreign
        > influences, introduced crops, products and farming techniques, diet and
        > nutrition and the army's diet, largely based on the evidence of skeletal
        > remains. 192p, 27 col pls, 101 b/w illus (Tempus 2001)
        > ISBN 0752419242. Paperback. Publishers price US $26.99, DBBC Price US
        > $14.98
        >
        > -- Pani Jadwiga Zajaczkowa, Knowledge Pika jenne@...
        > "What don't die can't live. What don't live can't change. What don't
        > change can't learn." -- Terry Pratchett, _Lords and Ladies_
        oooh, I really want this one- what's DBBC? Is this where you get it?
        --
        Tchipakkan
        Arastorm the Golden
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 27, 2003
          Tchipakkan wrote:
          > > On oxbowbooks.com
          > >

          > oooh, I really want this one- what's DBBC? Is this where you get it?

          Yup, go to www.oxbowbooks.com and choose David Brown Book company.

          Unless you have some spare cash, however, DO NOT browse the bargan books
          section... it's too late for me though... I'm going back in with my
          credit card. :)

          --
          / Jennifer Heise, Helpdesk/Librarian, Email: jahb@...
          \ \ Lehigh Library & Technology Services, Phone: (610) 758-3072

          "Comment is free, but facts are on expenses." -- Tom Stoppard
        • Aricia/krys
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 27, 2003
            I just got my husband (the real cook in the family) "Around the Roman Table" IBSN# 0-312-23958-0 by Patrick Faas.

            It is so cool.  It has over 150 ancient Roman Recipes reconstructed for the modern Cook and lots of period info.

            I have been kidding him asking when I was getting my honeyed hummingbirds tongue.

            Aricia Jehane

            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 27, 2003
              > Yup, go to www.oxbowbooks.com and choose David Brown Book company.
              >
              > Unless you have some spare cash, however, DO NOT browse the bargan books
              > section... it's too late for me though... I'm going back in with my
              > credit card. :)
              Well, thanks for the warning, although it didn't work too well.

              You know, when you *yearn* for a book in a catalog so much that you feel a
              pull in your gut because you know you can't afford (for instance) a $150
              book on an obscure Anglo-Saxon Cemetary- you can be safe in assuming that
              you've got it bad.
              I can't help thinking that the fact that these books are being published
              means there are others out there who are actually laying out the bucks for
              them- probably professors in universities and such- those lucky old white
              men- they'd better get around to reading them! This type of book is not
              generally available through interlibrary loan! I told myself that if we sell
              well at Pennsic I'll go back and buy Anglo-Saxon Textual Illustration! And
              there's one on Iconography of Anglo-Saxon Coinage, and one on Post Roman
              British Burial Practices, one on Byzantine Icons... ah well... I'm sure my
              (not SCA) sisters would think I am daft- but I figure some of the rest of
              you share the weakness; that's one of the nice things about the SCA, you can
              feel like you aren't quite so strange when these passions overtake you...

              David Brown looks like a great resource, but you have put temptation in my
              path, and that is going to come back on you! Someone is going to do the same
              for you some day....(bwaa ha ha - organ music swells in the background) I
              hope it's me!
              --
              Tchipakkan
              Arastorm the Golden
              Message 6 of 6 , Jun 27, 2003
                > I can't help thinking that the fact that these books are being published
                > means there are others out there who are actually laying out the bucks for
                > them- probably professors in universities and such- those lucky old white
                > men- they'd better get around to reading them! This type of book is not
                > generally available through interlibrary loan!

                One of the cool things about PA, where I live, is that they have what they
                call 'reciprocal borrowing agreements' where if you have the right sticker
                on your library card, you can take books out of all state university
                libraries and some of the private college libraries! So, always check with
                your public library to see if they are part of any consortium with any
                'academic' libraries.

                *grin*