Re: (Fwd) : MInt Drink

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 1999
      From Cariadoc's Miscellany:

      "Sekanjabin

      Dissolve 4 cups sugar in 2 1/2 cups of water; when it comes to a boil add
      1 cup wine vinegar. Simmer 1/2 hour. Add a handful
      of mint, remove from fire, let cool. Dilute the resulting syrup to taste
      with ice water (5 to 10 parts water to 1 part syrup). The
      syrup stores without refrigeration.

      Note: This is the only recipe in the Miscelleny that is based on a modern
      source: A Book of Middle Eastern Food, by Claudia
      Roden. Sekanjabin is a period drink; it is mentioned in the Fihrist of
      al-Nadim, which was written in the tenth century. The only
      period recipe I have found for it (in the Andalusian cookbook) is called
      "Sekanjabin Simple" and omits the mint. It is one of a
      large variety of similar drinks described in that cookbook-flavored syrups
      intended to be diluted in either hot or cold water
      before drinking."

      On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Bob & Nancy Upson wrote:

      > From: "Bob & Nancy Upson" <wyvern@...>
      >
      > Greeting,
      > My mint crop is in for the year. I am looking for the recipe for the
      > "Mint Drink", I can not spell the real name nor will I try.
      >
      > Thank you in Advance
      > Hilken

      > _____
      > ALL WYVERN HALL SCA LISTS ARE MOVING TO ONELIST.COM
      > CURRENT SUBSCRIBERS WILL BE TRANSFERRED
      > AUTOMATICALLY
      > YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED WHEN IT IS TIME TO SWITCH OVER
      >
      > Copyright (C) 1999 Wyvern Hall. All rights reserved.

      > ONElist now has T-SHIRTS!
      > For details and to order, go to:
      > http://www.onelist.com/store/tshirts.html

      Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental), mka Jennifer Heise
      jenne@...
      "in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
      (In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)
    • DeeWolff@xxx.xxx
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 1999
        From "An Anonymus Andalusian Cookbook of the Thirteenth Century"
        Syrup of mint:
        Take mint and basil,citron and cloves, a handful of each, and cook all this
        in water to cover, until its substance comes out, and add the clear part of
        it to a ratl of sugar. The bag: an uqiya of flower of cloves, and cook all
        this until a syrup is made. Its benefits: it frees bodies that suffer from
        phlegm, and cuts phlegmatic urine, fortifies the liver and stomach and cheers
        it a great deal; in this it is admirable

        1 Ratl = 12 uqiyas= 468.75 grams= about a pound
        1 uqiya=39 g=1 1/3 ounces=7 teaspoons

        Hope this helps!
        It is very good....
        Andrea, Ostgardr