Re: EK Herb Guild Meetings or classes...

  • Robin
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 22, 2000
      At 08:00 PM 1/19/00 +0000, you wrote:
      >From: jenne@...
      >
      >Also, I'm going to be teaching a class on Medieval Scents (the use
      >of scented herbs, spices and resins in period) at the EKU on
      >February 19th.
      >
      >Are people out there interested in introductory classes on medieval use of
      >herbs or would you rather see more advanced ones?
      >
      >-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

      For those of us living in the far reaches of the world (Calontir in my
      case) would anyone be interested in posting some of their class materials
      to this list for general education and discussion? Might liven things up
      as spring (hopefully) approaches.

      Tamarra
    • Betty Braaksma
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 24, 2000
        Yes, please do post for others! I'm just starting to get into medieval
        herbalism in a serious way and would appreciate any info you could post or
        point to. I'm in the Shire of Mare Amethystinum, Principality of
        Northshield, Middle Kingdom.

        thks much,

        Bernegaria of Outremer aka Betty Braaksma

        >From: Robin <tamarra@...>
        >To: SCA-Herbalist@onelist.com
        >Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] EK Herb Guild Meetings or classes...
        >Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 17:58:04 -0600
        >
        >At 08:00 PM 1/19/00 +0000, you wrote:
        > >From: jenne@...
        > >
        > >Also, I'm going to be teaching a class on Medieval Scents (the use
        > >of scented herbs, spices and resins in period) at the EKU on
        > >February 19th.
        > >
        > >Are people out there interested in introductory classes on medieval use
        >of
        > >herbs or would you rather see more advanced ones?
        > >
        > >-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
        > >

        >For those of us living in the far reaches of the world (Calontir in my
        >case) would anyone be interested in posting some of their class materials
        >to this list for general education and discussion? Might liven things up
        >as spring (hopefully) approaches.
        >
        >Tamarra

      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 24, 2000
          On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Betty Braaksma wrote:
          > Yes, please do post for others! I'm just starting to get into medieval
          > herbalism in a serious way and would appreciate any info you could post or
          > point to.

          I've got some links to resources on my page:
          http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/herblinks.html

          A few class handouts that may or may not be useful to other herbalists:

          'A Selection of Herbs used in Medieval Times' (the handout from a
          scratch-n-sniff herb display at a demo-- it's very basic):
          http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/herbhandout.htm

          'Spices from the East' (a handlist of spices that were associated with the
          Eastern spice trade and/or crusades, with cookery, scent and medicinal
          uses)
          http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/Easternspice.html

          'Scents of the Middle Ages' (a short handout on medical and cosmetic uses
          of scented flowers, herbs and spices in the Middle Ages-- due to be
          updated and expanded in the next few weeks)
          http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/scents.html

          'Jadwiga's Stillroom Booke' (a large handout on various aspects of
          herbalism and information on a few specific herbs. It was the handout for
          the first-- and most ambitious-- herb class I ever taught; and the class
          was a complete failure!)
          http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/bunny_herbal.html

          disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

          "You do not lead by hitting people over the head -- that's assault,
          not leadership." Dwight D. Eisenhower