Re: [SCA-Herbalist] nettle question

  • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2003
      > I have a patch of nettles growing--when and how do I harvest them for
      > fiber--and is there any special way to break the fiber out?? Any
      > directions are helpful 8)

      I've never done it but I think you do it in the late summer or early fall.
      The general concensus is that you will need to ret the fiber out-- by
      soaking the stems in standing or running water, held down, for days/weeks.
      There are directions for retting hemp in Gervase Markham's _English
      Housewife_ that many people say should work. I also have a message about
      someone who made nettle cord without retting the fibers, I will ask him if
      I can forward it.

      "In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us with
      floaties and teach us how to swim." --Linton Weeks, Washington Post 1/13/01.
    • Tchipakkan
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2003
        > I have a patch of nettles growing--when and how do I harvest them for
        > fiber--and is there any special way to break the fiber out?? Any
        > directions are helpful 8)
        >
        > Kaytlyn

        Before you rett the stalks, harvest some of the leaves for medicinal use!
        --
        Tchipakkan
        Arastorm the Golden