nettle question

  • kaytlyn@juno.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 5, 2003
      I have a patch of nettles growing--when and how do I harvest them for
      fiber--and is there any special way to break the fiber out?? Any
      directions are helpful 8)

      Kaytlyn

      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
      Ladies do not start fights, but they can finish them!

      Aristocats

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2003
        > I have a patch of nettles growing--when and how do I harvest them for
        > fiber--and is there any special way to break the fiber out?? Any
        > directions are helpful 8)

        I've never done it but I think you do it in the late summer or early fall.
        The general concensus is that you will need to ret the fiber out-- by
        soaking the stems in standing or running water, held down, for days/weeks.
        There are directions for retting hemp in Gervase Markham's _English
        Housewife_ that many people say should work. I also have a message about
        someone who made nettle cord without retting the fibers, I will ask him if
        I can forward it.

        "In the nonstop tsunami of global information, librarians provide us with
        floaties and teach us how to swim." --Linton Weeks, Washington Post 1/13/01.
      • Tchipakkan
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 5, 2003
          > I have a patch of nettles growing--when and how do I harvest them for
          > fiber--and is there any special way to break the fiber out?? Any
          > directions are helpful 8)
          >
          > Kaytlyn

          Before you rett the stalks, harvest some of the leaves for medicinal use!
          --
          Tchipakkan
          Arastorm the Golden