Re: [SCA-Herbalist]Most Precious Ointment

  • Corwyn and Carowyn
    Message 1 of 11 , May 7, 2003
      I'll bring the white mint, bay leaf, and what's needed from the tansy?
      -Caro

      >Violet Arastorm
      >Primrose Arastorm
      >Elder
      >Cowslip, leafs and flowers
      >Sage Arastorm
      >Mugwort Arastorm
      >Ragweed Arastorm
      >white Lillies
      >St. Johnswort Arastorm
      >Rose-leafs Arastorm
      >Rue Arastorm
      >Fetherfew (Feverfew?) Arastorm
      >Tansie Carowyn
      >Lovage Arastorm
      >Mint Annys
      >Camomile Arastorm
      >Thyme Arastorm
      >Dill Arastorm
      >Clary
      >Oak of Jerusalem
      >Penyroyal Arastorm
      >Hysop Annys
      >Balm Annys
      >White Mint Carowyn
      >Marygold (Calendula) Arastorm
      >Peony-leafs
      >Bay-leafs Carowyn
      >Saffron - Arastorm- (one or two vials)
      >pottle of Sallet Oyl (olive oil- unless someone has a better thought)
      >Arastorm
      >quart of White Wine

      Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!
    • aricia
      Message 2 of 11 , May 7, 2003
        I make an oil that takes 42 herbs from a 1580 recipe that has similar herbs.

        Aricia Jehane
        I'll bring the white mint, bay leaf, and what's needed from the tansy?
        -Caro

        >Violet          Arastorm
        >Primrose    Arastorm
        >Elder
        >Cowslip, leafs and flowers
        >Sage           Arastorm
        >Mugwort     Arastorm
        >Ragweed  Arastorm
        >white Lillies
        >St. Johnswort Arastorm
        >Rose-leafs Arastorm
        >Rue             Arastorm
        >Fetherfew  (Feverfew?) Arastorm
        >Tansie          Carowyn
        >Lovage      Arastorm
        >Mint            Annys
        >Camomile Arastorm
        >Thyme       Arastorm
        >Dill             Arastorm
        >Clary
        >Oak of Jerusalem
        >Penyroyal   Arastorm
        >Hysop        Annys
        >Balm          Annys
        >White Mint    Carowyn
        >Marygold (Calendula) Arastorm
        >Peony-leafs
        >Bay-leafs    Carowyn
        >Saffron -   Arastorm- (one or two vials)
        >pottle of Sallet Oyl (olive oil- unless someone has a better thought)
        >Arastorm
        >quart of White Wine

        Surf the web up to FIVE TIMES FASTER!

      • Elena Wen
        Message 3 of 11 , May 7, 2003
          Would you mind posting this?
          Also, for Most Precious Ointment, someone was asking the other day what Oak of Jerusalem is...I did an internet search and turned up feather geranium or ambrosia. HTH
          Elani

          aricia <aricia@...> wrote:
          I make an oil that takes 42 herbs from a 1580 recipe that has similar herbs.

          Aricia Jehane

          Do you Yahoo!?

        • Tchipakkan
          Message 4 of 11 , May 7, 2003

            > I'll bring the white mint, bay leaf, and what's needed from the tansy?
            > -Caro
            I usually use the whole above ground plant- what would others say?
            Tchipakkan
            --
            Knowledge that's not shared is knowledge lost.
          • Corwyn and Carowyn
            Message 5 of 11 , May 13, 2003
              I'm down as bringing the white mint. ;-) (LOTS of white mint! ;-)

              -Carowyn

              >We are still looking for Cowslip, Elder, White Lillies, Oak of
              Jerusalem,

              Message 6 of 11 , May 14, 2003
                I have tons of Peony Root and I think my apprentic is coming to Pensic this year.  I am ccing her on this.  If she is I will send you guys Peony root.  How much do you need?
                This recpie sounds just like the oil I make, with a few exceptions.

                Regarding the stuff you can't find...we researched the properties of each here and various interactions and found substitutes.

                On the Cowslip...you can substitue more Primrose flower and leaf...works just fine.

                Aricia Jehane

              • newbrg@aol.com
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 1, 2003
                  Arastorm, is it okay if I describe this project in the next Tisane and give
                  your e-mail address as a contact? Or if not you, or if not your e-mail, who or
                  what would be good?

                  Johanna
                • Tchipakkan
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jul 31, 2003
                    Hello all, I am doing my final packing for Pennsic and just looked up the
                    schedual. the making the Most Precious Ointment is down for Thursday the
                    14th- anyone who is bringing fresh herbs from their gardens, bring them over
                    to my place- Merchant #21 whenever you want and we'll put them in the oil,
                    then we'll add the rest and balance it all out on the 14th. That way the
                    fresh herbs can steep fresh instead of drying and then getting steeped. I am
                    hoping to leave on Saturday- barring disasters, and so should be setting up
                    the cottage on Sunday or Monday. See you there.

                    --
                    Tchipakkan
                    Arastorm the Golden
                    Message 9 of 11 , Aug 1 6:52 AM
                      It's RAINING! I got up this morning, ready to go harvest plants and head off
                      to Pennsic. Phooey and other words of annoyance! I hope I won't have to
                      bring them damp, if they rotted that would spoil the whole project!
                      Anyway, I figured I'd just review what I had written- it looks like I've
                      missed some recent updates on the copy of the list I could find.

                      I've got me bringing:
                      Violet, Primrose, Sage, Mugwort, Ragweed, St. Johnswort, Rose-leafs, Rue,
                      Fetherfew, Lovage, Chamomile, Thyme, Dill, Pennyroyal, Marigold, Saffron,
                      and the wine and "pottle" of Sallet Oyl

                      Eleyn is down for:
                      Elder, Sage, Mugwort, St. Johnswort, & Thyme

                      Carowyn is down for:
                      Tansie, White Mint, and Bay-leafs

                      Annys is down for:
                      Mint, Hysop, and Balm

                      Jadwiga is down for:
                      Clary and Saffron

                      Jennifer is down for:
                      Oak of Jerusalem

                      and Sulis and Aricia are down for:
                      Peoney leafs

                      As far as I know no one is bringing:
                      Cowslip, leafs and flowers, nor white Lillies (although I seem to remember
                      some discussion of it- was it tall lilies or water lilies?)

                      So if anyone can bring lilies or cowslip- otherwise we will look at the herb
                      sellers there. Another thing is my Dill and Chamomile didn't come very will
                      this year- if anyone has either of those growing, it would be good. Luckily,
                      worst case both should be available at the herb sellers. And it's a good
                      thing that Eleyn is bringing the St. Johnswort- my new sheep seem to have a
                      special fondness for mine!
                      --
                      Tchipakkan
                      Arastorm the Golden
                      Message 10 of 11 , Aug 1 7:09 AM
                        You forgot me! I am also bringing saffron.

                        Dianaim
                        > It's RAINING! I got up this morning, ready to go harvest plants and head off
                        > to Pennsic. Phooey and other words of annoyance! I hope I won't have to
                        > bring them damp, if they rotted that would spoil the whole project!
                        > Anyway, I figured I'd just review what I had written- it looks like I've
                        > missed some recent updates on the copy of the list I could find.
                        >
                        > I've got me bringing:
                        > Violet, Primrose, Sage, Mugwort, Ragweed, St. Johnswort, Rose-leafs, Rue,
                        > Fetherfew, Lovage, Chamomile, Thyme, Dill, Pennyroyal, Marigold, Saffron,
                        > and the wine and "pottle" of Sallet Oyl
                        >
                        > Eleyn is down for:
                        > Elder, Sage, Mugwort, St. Johnswort, & Thyme
                        >
                        > Carowyn is down for:
                        > Tansie, White Mint, and Bay-leafs
                        >
                        > Annys is down for:
                        > Mint, Hysop, and Balm
                        >
                        > Jadwiga is down for:
                        > Clary and Saffron
                        >
                        > Jennifer is down for:
                        > Oak of Jerusalem
                        >
                        > and Sulis and Aricia are down for:
                        > Peoney leafs
                        >
                        > As far as I know no one is bringing:
                        > Cowslip, leafs and flowers, nor white Lillies (although I seem to remember
                        > some discussion of it- was it tall lilies or water lilies?)
                        >
                        > So if anyone can bring lilies or cowslip- otherwise we will look at the herb
                        > sellers there. Another thing is my Dill and Chamomile didn't come very will
                        > this year- if anyone has either of those growing, it would be good. Luckily,
                        > worst case both should be available at the herb sellers. And it's a good
                        > thing that Eleyn is bringing the St. Johnswort- my new sheep seem to have a
                        > special fondness for mine!
                        > --
                        > Tchipakkan
                        > Arastorm the Golden
                        > Lady of Stormgard

                      • Aricia/krys
                        Message 11 of 11 , Aug 1 9:31 AM
                          Take the hair dryer on cool or low and hang the plants upside down and lightly dry them.  I have had to do this on several occasions and it works fine.  Just don't run the hair dryer on hot....it drys the plant too much

                          Aricia Jehane