Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Pennsic classes

  • HopeAllyson Dwiggins
    Message 1 of 18 , May 7, 2003
      I used Popular Religion in Late Saxon England by Karen Louise Jolly,
      Anglo-Saxon Leechcraft, A Guide to Old English by Bruce Mitchell and Fred
      Robinson, Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plantlore and Healing by Stephen
      Pollington and The Old English Herbals by Eleanour Rhode. I already have
      the class laid out and the handout. I would like to add to what I did last
      year. Perhaps we could join forces to teach the class together?
      Annys

      on 5/6/03 8:27 AM, Tchipakkan at tchipakkan@... wrote:

      >> I'm debating. Last year Herbal First Aid and Sacred Anglo-Saxon Herbs were
      >> very popular. I'm limited in teaching time this year because of my baby.
      >> If I do Herbal First Aid again it will be two classes-one for the talk and
      >> one for the hands on.
      >> Any comments or suggestions?
      >> Annys
      > What were your sources on Sacred Anglo-Saxon Herbs, I have several on that
      > and maybe I could do that one instead of you- it would still get the info
      > out there, and you'd have more time with your baby.
    • Tchipakkan
      Message 2 of 18 , May 7, 2003
        > I used Popular Religion in Late Saxon England by Karen Louise Jolly,
        > Anglo-Saxon Leechcraft, A Guide to Old English by Bruce Mitchell and Fred
        > Robinson, Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plantlore and Healing by Stephen
        > Pollington and The Old English Herbals by Eleanour Rhode. I already have
        > the class laid out and the handout. I would like to add to what I did last
        > year. Perhaps we could join forces to teach the class together?
        > Annys

        Sounds good to me- I;m not really into giving classes- but as a guild
        member, I figure I should and Anglo-Saxons are my area. Have to check my
        library about Jolly, but I think I have Mitchell & Robinson, know I have
        Pollington and don't think I have Rhode. Wish I'd gone last war- it's hard
        to get away from the shop.
        --
        Tchipakkan
        Arastorm the Golden
        Message 3 of 18 , May 8, 2003
          Annys wrote:

          > I used Popular Religion in Late Saxon England by Karen Louise Jolly,
          > Anglo-Saxon Leechcraft, A Guide to Old English by Bruce Mitchell and
          > Fred Robinson, Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plantlore and
          > Healing by Stephen Pollington and The Old English Herbals by Eleanour
          > Rhode. I already have the class laid out and the handout. I would
          > like to add to what I did last year. Perhaps we could join forces to
          > teach the class together?

          on 5/6/03 8:27 AM, Tchipakkan at tchipakkan@... wrote:

          >> I'm debating. Last year Herbal First Aid and Sacred Anglo-Saxon
          >> Herbs were very popular. <snip>

          I want to take this class! I'm teaching Anglo-Saxon Leechcraft but I
          think I've used completely different sources. It is my newest class
          and still in development, so it should be interesting to compare our
          treatments of the subject.

          I'm also teaching An Elizabethan Medicine Chest and Good Humors: A
          Taste of the Medieval Diet.

          Tara

          http://search.yahoo.com
        • Tchipakkan
          Message 4 of 18 , May 8, 2003
            > I want to take this class! I'm teaching Anglo-Saxon Leechcraft but I
            > think I've used completely different sources.
            so, (leading intonation) what are yours?
            > It is my newest class
            > and still in development, so it should be interesting to compare our
            > treatments of the subject.
            >
            > I'm also teaching An Elizabethan Medicine Chest and Good Humors: A
            > Taste of the Medieval Diet.
            I want to go to both of those!

            --
            Tchipakkan
            Arastorm the Golden
            Message 5 of 18 , May 11, 2003
              Tchipakkan intoned:

              > I want to take this class! I'm teaching Anglo-Saxon Leechcraft but I
              > think I've used completely different sources.

              so, (leading intonation) what are yours?

              Well, now that I'm home where they are, here's the list:

              AngloSaxon Amulets and Curing Stones, by Audrey L. Meaney
              AngloSaxon Leechcraft by Henry S. Wellcome
              AngloSaxon Magic by Dr. Godfrid Storms
              Blackwell Encyclopaedia of Anglo-Saxon England
              Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plantlore and Healing, Stephen
              Pollington

              We do share the last one - and it is substantial, with OE and modern
              translations of much of the uniquely Anglo Saxon texts. My class
              focuses on overall health & healing in AS England, through herbal
              remedies, charms, amulets, and customs blending Celtic, Germanic and
              Mediterranean cultures and their religions, superstitions and rituals.
              I find the charms or songs with which the herbal remedies are to be
              applied particularly interesting, with their mix of Pagan magic and
              Christian prayer.

              Tara

              http://search.yahoo.com
            • Tchipakkan
              Message 6 of 18 , May 13, 2003
                > Tchipakkan intoned:
                >
                >> I want to take this class! I'm teaching Anglo-Saxon Leechcraft but I
                >> think I've used completely different sources.
                "Intoned"? ah, common! I didn't think I sounded that bad!

                > so, (leading intonation) what are yours?
                > AngloSaxon Amulets and Curing Stones, by Audrey L. Meaney
                Hadn't heard of that one- I'll have to look for it.
                > AngloSaxon Leechcraft by Henry S. Wellcome
                > AngloSaxon Magic by Dr. Godfrid Storms
                > Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plantlore and Healing, Stephen Pollington
                got those- so apparently we haven't got "completely" different sources.
                > Blackwell Encyclopaedia of Anglo-Saxon England
                Not sure- sounds familiar, but my library is in chaos just now.

                > My class focuses on overall health & healing in AS England, through herbal
                > remedies, charms, amulets, and customs blending Celtic, Germanic and
                > Mediterranean cultures and their religions, superstitions and rituals.
                > I find the charms or songs with which the herbal remedies are to be
                > applied particularly interesting, with their mix of Pagan magic and
                > Christian prayer.
                > Tara
                It certainly would be hard to disassociate charms from healing in this
                period! Still, I love to go to people's classes and see what they've gotten
                out of books that I've missed. What's your persona, Anglo-Saxon or something
                else? Do you have the Anglo-Saxon Herb Garden by Horn yet? I'd actually
                hoped for more out of it, but it's a beginning. I assume that some large
                estates would have herb gardens not unlike monastery gardens- but only if
                the lady was into herbs. Even if she was, she might very well not be
                literate or interested in recording what she grew and used. I assume that
                most people did most of their own healing, and turned to local herbalists
                when they couldn't handle a more unusual problem- as they would turn to a
                midwife if there weren't a particularly capable woman in your family to
                attend you. I'd like to find more information on the use of wild herbs.
                After all, why would they put herbs that grew everywhere into a garden? I
                know that people do send for herbs that used to grow wild in their own areas
                and were widely used to new places when they get there and can't find them-
                as the Roman's brought nettles to Britannia, and the White Men brought
                Plantain to America. This is a really strong indication of common use, while
                not necessarily well documented in written records.
                Do you have a garden? What herbs do you grow in yours? Do you use them, or
                just grow them for fun?
                --
                Tchipakkan
                Arastorm the Golden