Re: Pennsic classes

  • dragonflyvert
    Message 1 of 18 , Apr 30, 2003
      --- In SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com, Paquerette <paquerette@a...>

      http://gozips.uakron.edu/~jana/AANDS, by
      > the way. Time is running out. ;)
      >
      > Ennoguent.

      That class sounds great. As someone who took just about all the herb
      classes last year I would love to see just as many or more on the
      schedule for this Pennsic. I also want to extend a thank you, in
      advance, to the teachers because I know it takes a lot of time and
      effort to teach and it is very much appreciated.

      Cheers
      Norinna
    • jenne@fiedlerfamily.net
      Message 2 of 18 , May 1 5:33 PM
        > Is there going to be a meeting of the guild there?

        There will be a meeting of the East Kingdom Herbalists & Apothecaries'
        Guild at Pennsic, August 11th at 3:00 pm.

        Probably making the ointment should happen at a different time than the
        meeting. Arastorm, if you'd like to coordinate it-- maybe at your camp? I
        think there would be volunteers. What do others think?

        -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa jenne@...
        "American boys should not be seen dying on the nightly news. Wars should be
        over in three days or less, or before Congress invokes the War Powers
        Resolution. Victory must be assured in advance. And the American public
        must be all for it from the outset." -- Evan Thomas
      • Tchipakkan
        Message 3 of 18 , May 4 5:41 PM
          > Probably making the ointment should happen at a different time than the
          > meeting. Arastorm, if you'd like to coordinate it-- maybe at your camp? I
          > think there would be volunteers. What do others think?

          What, have everyone come to me? How could I refuse an offer like that? Do
          people want to warm infuse or cold infuse- if it's cold infuse we should
          gather with the herbs early on and have a straining and packaging party near
          the end of the war. Feedback?
          --
          Tchipakkan
          Arastorm the Golden
          Message 4 of 18 , May 4 7:12 PM
            I'm in! I'm in! What do I have to bring?!?!?!?!

            Dianaim

            Message 5 of 18 , May 5 6:01 AM
              > > Probably making the ointment should happen at a different time than the
              > > meeting. Arastorm, if you'd like to coordinate it-- maybe at your camp? I
              > > think there would be volunteers. What do others think?
              > >
              > What, have everyone come to me? How could I refuse an offer like that? Do
              > people want to warm infuse or cold infuse- if it's cold infuse we should
              > gather with the herbs early on and have a straining and packaging party near
              > the end of the war. Feedback?

              Hm.. Does the original recipe specify one over the other?

              -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa jenne@...
              "I'm tired. I'm tired of feeling rejected by the American people. I'm
              tired of waking up in the middle of the night worrying about the war."
              -- L.B. Johnson
            • HopeAllyson Dwiggins
              Message 6 of 18 , May 5 2:45 PM
                I'm debating. Last year Herbal First Aid and Sacred Anglo-Saxon Herbs were
                very popular. I'm limited in teaching time this year because of my baby.
                If I do Herbal First Aid again it will be two classes-one for the talk and
                one for the hands on.
                Any comments or suggestions?
                Annys

                Message 7 of 18 , May 5 2:49 PM
                  > I'm debating. Last year Herbal First Aid and Sacred Anglo-Saxon Herbs were
                  > very popular. I'm limited in teaching time this year because of my baby.
                  > If I do Herbal First Aid again it will be two classes-one for the talk and
                  > one for the hands on.

                  Ok, I'm plumping for the Sacred Anglo-Saxon Herbs but that's because I'm a
                  born academic. The Herbal First Aid was great too.

                  Message 8 of 18 , May 6 5:27 AM
                    > I'm debating. Last year Herbal First Aid and Sacred Anglo-Saxon Herbs were
                    > very popular. I'm limited in teaching time this year because of my baby.
                    > If I do Herbal First Aid again it will be two classes-one for the talk and
                    > one for the hands on.
                    > Any comments or suggestions?
                    > Annys
                    What were your sources on Sacred Anglo-Saxon Herbs, I have several on that
                    and maybe I could do that one instead of you- it would still get the info
                    out there, and you'd have more time with your baby.
                    --
                    Tchipakkan
                    Arastorm the Golden
                    Message 9 of 18 , May 7 8:14 AM
                      I used Popular Religion in Late Saxon England by Karen Louise Jolly,
                      Anglo-Saxon Leechcraft, A Guide to Old English by Bruce Mitchell and Fred
                      Robinson, Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plantlore and Healing by Stephen
                      Pollington and The Old English Herbals by Eleanour Rhode. I already have
                      the class laid out and the handout. I would like to add to what I did last
                      year. Perhaps we could join forces to teach the class together?
                      Annys

                      Message 10 of 18 , May 7 6:31 PM
                        > I used Popular Religion in Late Saxon England by Karen Louise Jolly,
                        > Anglo-Saxon Leechcraft, A Guide to Old English by Bruce Mitchell and Fred
                        > Robinson, Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plantlore and Healing by Stephen
                        > Pollington and The Old English Herbals by Eleanour Rhode. I already have
                        > the class laid out and the handout. I would like to add to what I did last
                        > year. Perhaps we could join forces to teach the class together?
                        > Annys

                        Sounds good to me- I;m not really into giving classes- but as a guild
                        member, I figure I should and Anglo-Saxons are my area. Have to check my
                        library about Jolly, but I think I have Mitchell & Robinson, know I have
                        Pollington and don't think I have Rhode. Wish I'd gone last war- it's hard
                        to get away from the shop.
                        --
                        Tchipakkan
                        Arastorm the Golden
                        Message 11 of 18 , May 8 5:52 PM
                          Annys wrote:

                          > I used Popular Religion in Late Saxon England by Karen Louise Jolly,
                          > Anglo-Saxon Leechcraft, A Guide to Old English by Bruce Mitchell and
                          > Fred Robinson, Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plantlore and
                          > Healing by Stephen Pollington and The Old English Herbals by Eleanour
                          > Rhode. I already have the class laid out and the handout. I would
                          > like to add to what I did last year. Perhaps we could join forces to
                          > teach the class together?

                          on 5/6/03 8:27 AM, Tchipakkan at tchipakkan@... wrote:

                          >> I'm debating. Last year Herbal First Aid and Sacred Anglo-Saxon
                          >> Herbs were very popular. <snip>

                          I want to take this class! I'm teaching Anglo-Saxon Leechcraft but I
                          think I've used completely different sources. It is my newest class
                          and still in development, so it should be interesting to compare our
                          treatments of the subject.

                          I'm also teaching An Elizabethan Medicine Chest and Good Humors: A
                          Taste of the Medieval Diet.

                          Tara

                          http://search.yahoo.com
                        • Tchipakkan
                          Message 12 of 18 , May 8 6:06 PM
                            > I want to take this class! I'm teaching Anglo-Saxon Leechcraft but I
                            > think I've used completely different sources.
                            so, (leading intonation) what are yours?
                            > It is my newest class
                            > and still in development, so it should be interesting to compare our
                            > treatments of the subject.
                            >
                            > I'm also teaching An Elizabethan Medicine Chest and Good Humors: A
                            > Taste of the Medieval Diet.
                            I want to go to both of those!

                            --
                            Tchipakkan
                            Arastorm the Golden
                            Message 13 of 18 , May 11 8:10 PM
                              Tchipakkan intoned:

                              > I want to take this class! I'm teaching Anglo-Saxon Leechcraft but I
                              > think I've used completely different sources.

                              so, (leading intonation) what are yours?

                              Well, now that I'm home where they are, here's the list:

                              AngloSaxon Amulets and Curing Stones, by Audrey L. Meaney
                              AngloSaxon Leechcraft by Henry S. Wellcome
                              AngloSaxon Magic by Dr. Godfrid Storms
                              Blackwell Encyclopaedia of Anglo-Saxon England
                              Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plantlore and Healing, Stephen
                              Pollington

                              We do share the last one - and it is substantial, with OE and modern
                              translations of much of the uniquely Anglo Saxon texts. My class
                              focuses on overall health & healing in AS England, through herbal
                              remedies, charms, amulets, and customs blending Celtic, Germanic and
                              Mediterranean cultures and their religions, superstitions and rituals.
                              I find the charms or songs with which the herbal remedies are to be
                              applied particularly interesting, with their mix of Pagan magic and
                              Christian prayer.

                              Tara

                              http://search.yahoo.com
                            • Tchipakkan
                              Message 14 of 18 , May 13 11:29 AM
                                > Tchipakkan intoned:
                                >
                                >> I want to take this class! I'm teaching Anglo-Saxon Leechcraft but I
                                >> think I've used completely different sources.
                                "Intoned"? ah, common! I didn't think I sounded that bad!

                                > so, (leading intonation) what are yours?
                                > AngloSaxon Amulets and Curing Stones, by Audrey L. Meaney
                                Hadn't heard of that one- I'll have to look for it.
                                > AngloSaxon Leechcraft by Henry S. Wellcome
                                > AngloSaxon Magic by Dr. Godfrid Storms
                                > Leechcraft: Early English Charms, Plantlore and Healing, Stephen Pollington
                                got those- so apparently we haven't got "completely" different sources.
                                > Blackwell Encyclopaedia of Anglo-Saxon England
                                Not sure- sounds familiar, but my library is in chaos just now.

                                > My class focuses on overall health & healing in AS England, through herbal
                                > remedies, charms, amulets, and customs blending Celtic, Germanic and
                                > Mediterranean cultures and their religions, superstitions and rituals.
                                > I find the charms or songs with which the herbal remedies are to be
                                > applied particularly interesting, with their mix of Pagan magic and
                                > Christian prayer.
                                > Tara
                                It certainly would be hard to disassociate charms from healing in this
                                period! Still, I love to go to people's classes and see what they've gotten
                                out of books that I've missed. What's your persona, Anglo-Saxon or something
                                else? Do you have the Anglo-Saxon Herb Garden by Horn yet? I'd actually
                                hoped for more out of it, but it's a beginning. I assume that some large
                                estates would have herb gardens not unlike monastery gardens- but only if
                                the lady was into herbs. Even if she was, she might very well not be
                                literate or interested in recording what she grew and used. I assume that
                                most people did most of their own healing, and turned to local herbalists
                                when they couldn't handle a more unusual problem- as they would turn to a
                                midwife if there weren't a particularly capable woman in your family to
                                attend you. I'd like to find more information on the use of wild herbs.
                                After all, why would they put herbs that grew everywhere into a garden? I
                                know that people do send for herbs that used to grow wild in their own areas
                                and were widely used to new places when they get there and can't find them-
                                as the Roman's brought nettles to Britannia, and the White Men brought
                                Plantain to America. This is a really strong indication of common use, while
                                not necessarily well documented in written records.
                                Do you have a garden? What herbs do you grow in yours? Do you use them, or
                                just grow them for fun?
                                --
                                Tchipakkan
                                Arastorm the Golden