Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Healing wash for cat

  • Shannon
    Message 1 of 13 , Mar 7, 2003
      Hi Sinech:

      I just had this happen to one of my cats, the abcess and assorted scatches,
      that is. After we got it drained, I was told to appy Neosporin (the stuff
      you get for us humans for wounds, $3 or $4 dollars at a drug store) to the
      wound and scratches a couple times a day. Even if they lick it, it won't
      hurt cats. Even after it scabs over, still keep applying the Neosporin. It
      will make the scabs less ichy and hopefully they won't scratch.

      Shannon Gallowglass

      > Greetings.
      >
      > Can anyone suggest an antiseptic/healing herbal wash I can concoct that
      > won't harm a cat if he licks it off (this could be difficult for him,
      since
      > the wounds are on his head, but still...). He's obviously been fighting
      > (being 'boss cat' since my older cat died), and has what are probably claw
      > wounds on his face, above his eye. I've just spent $120 getting an abcess
      > cleaned out and sew up, and these wounds don't look so deep, so I'm hoping
      > to be able to avoid further financial outlay. I have basic herbs -
      rosemary,
      > lavender, thyme, sage - in my garden, but I don't know whether they're OK
      > for a cat to ingest.
      >
      > Thanks.
      >
      > Sinech.
      > ________________________
      > An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil
      > (The Truth against the World)
      >
      > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
      > Absolutely Write! - - - - - - - Adding Value to Communication
      > Writing + Editing + Proofreading
      > Absolutely.Write@...
      > www.geocities.com/sinechnz/AbsolutelyWrite.html
      > +++ CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR NEW WORK! +++
      > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

    • Lila Richards
      Message 2 of 13 , Mar 8, 2003
        I usually start with opening up the abscess and draining it and cleaning it with a solution of 80 % warm water and 20% hydrogen peroxide (this is the absolutely best way to start)  Then if stitches aren't required I just maintain the area.

        I clean it twice daily with a infusion of lavender and thyme, or thyme and rosemary, using 8 drops ess. oil each to 1 cup of hot water. (or 2 T dried herb to 1 cup hot water Let steep 10  to 15 min.) cooling to warm and then using cotton cloth or linen (cotton balls etc. frequently get into or catch on the area) use it in a compress  to the afflicted area.

        Keep the area clean repeating this for about 4 days max is all it usually takes to set things in motion.  Make sure they are eating and drinking and make sure the wound does not close too soon...if so you will need to open it to make sure everything drains well.  You can do this by using a compress of hot water and gently massaging the wound until an area is open enough to drain.  Don't use yarrow or comfrey.  It will close the surface of the wound too fast and may disrupt drainage of the infectious materials.

        Thanks for your advice. I'll certainly give it a go, though he's not the easiest cat to 'do things' to, especially at the moment, as he's still quite miffed over the arrival of a new kitten, and spends a lot of time outside. I just wish I could get through to him how much more fun life could be if he just accepted the new arrival and got on with playing with him. :-/

        Sinech.
        ___________________________
        An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil
         (The Truth against the World)

        Absolutely Write! - - - - - - - Adding Value to Communication
                            Writing  +  Editing  +  Proofreading
                               Absolutely.Write@...
                 www.geocities.com/sinechnz/AbsolutelyWrite.html
          +++ CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR NEW WORK! +++
      • Aricia
        Message 3 of 13 , Mar 10, 2003
          Just give him lots of exta attention.  I have one cat who hates everyone and everything that comes between her and me.  I let her know she is still #1 kittie, she sets the pecking order (with reinforcement from me) and there is (as my husband calls it) peace in the Valley.

          Aricia Jehane

          Message 4 of 13 , Mar 11, 2003
            Just give him lots of exta attention.  I have one cat who hates everyone and everything that comes between her and me.  I let her know she is still #1 kittie, she sets the pecking order (with reinforcement from me) and there is (as my husband calls it) peace in the Valley.

            Aricia Jehan

            Well, I do try, but it's a bit tricky when he hardly ever comes inside any more. :-(
            However, he's gone off to the vet's to get his current wound cleaned and stitched up (it started off tiny, but is now about 1/2" across), and he's going to get a shot of something to try and lessen his fighting instinct (he's neutered, but it doesn't seem to have helped much lately), and also, hopefully, his enmity towards the 'interloper'. I think maybe too many things happened at once for him - death of the previous Number 1 cat (making him feel obliged to take on territorial defence duties), arrival of the Fighting Season, and arrival of new kitten. So hopefully the shot will help - the effect will only last for a few weeks, but it may be enough to break the cycle.

            Sinech.
            ___________________________

            Message 5 of 13 , Mar 11, 2003
               when he comes back....feed him first before the kitten....maybe add a treat for him...the kitten doesn't know its special food and so won't have a problem with it.  Also if he enters the room and the kitten is with you in your lap or your petting it, give the kitten to someone else or put it down and pick him up...make over him...this tells him that he is #1 and also helps tell the kitten the pecking order.  Pick him up and head rub him,  put your noses together and rub your cheeks on both sides of his....cats do this to each other and you to claim you and mark you affectionately as their own...this all may help.  It also tells him you are alpha everything and then whatever you say goes alot better.

              Aricia Jehane

              Message 6 of 13 , Mar 12, 2003
                Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Healing wash for cat

                Well, I do try, but it's a bit tricky when he hardly ever comes inside any more. :-(
                However, he's gone off to the vet's to get his current wound cleaned and stitched up (it started off tiny, but is now about 1/2" across), and he's going to get a shot of something to try and lessen his fighting instinct (he's neutered, but it doesn't seem to have helped much lately), and also, hopefully, his enmity towards the 'interloper'. I think maybe too many things happened at once for him - death of the previous Number 1 cat (making him feel obliged to take on territorial defence duties), arrival of the Fighting Season, and arrival of new kitten. So hopefully the shot will help - the effect will only last for a few weeks, but it may be enough to break the cycle.

                Sinech.
                Obviously I am not aware of all the particulars of your situation, but I would consider carefully before I got that shot.
                and he's going to get a shot of something to try and lessen his fighting instinct (he's neutered, but it doesn't seem to have helped much lately), and also, hopefully, his enmity towards the 'interloper'.

                Our vet once told us that we should bring our cat in after each time she got into a fight so that she could be checked for wounds. I laughed at him, and told him not to be ridiculous. Our cat fought just about daily, and the time we took her in (for regular shots) and he saw the healing wounds on her, (which he cleaned and dabbed ointment on) was about 7 years after this cycle started. We lived in the center of town, and in a situation like that, every cat reaching maturity is liable to try fighting with the local Alpha to try to get into that position. She was Alpha for many years. Most wounds heal themselves without abscessing, and you can't stop a group of animals from settling their interior hierarchy. Do you think it would stop gang wars if we simply doped all the young men in the ghetto/ bario to the gills? If you fear that he will keep fighting this other cat until he is killed or seriously injured- you could dope him, or keep him inside, or declaw him so that he realizes that he has no chance and concedes a lower place on the social scale. I think you have a pretty clear view of the social stresses on him right now- but I am missing how drugging him is going to help him work through and readjust to his current situation.

                Vets (and we as cat owners) always want to do something. It feels better than doing nothing, When a wound has gotten infected and gotten worse, it is worth paying attention to. You may just want to keep him inside and inactive while the healing goes on- upping his nutrition, add brewers yeast , flaxseed, garlic, etc. to his food so that he can heal better. When a little wound gets bigger, it's more a case of nutritional insufficiency than a big injury. As with humans, all those stresses can really break down the bodies ability to heal. Give his body some ammo to fight back with.
                --
                Tchipakkan
                Arastorm the Golden
                Message 7 of 13 , Mar 12, 2003
                  Please don't use the neosporin and this is why.  It is a thick ointment and hold onto dirty stuff.  It also can cause healing too fast, trapping that dirty (and more) into the wound.  If the cat was like a human and kept the area clean at all times, this would be different...I have also seen cats get sick from it on occasion.

                  Aricia Jehane
                  I just had this happen to one of my cats, the abcess and assorted scatches,
                  that is.  After we got it drained, I was told to appy Neosporin (the stuff
                  you get for us humans for wounds, $3 or $4 dollars at a drug store) to the
                  wound and scratches a couple times a day.  Even if they lick it, it won't
                  hurt cats.  Even after it scabs over, still keep applying the Neosporin.  It
                  will make the scabs less ichy and hopefully they won't scratch.

                  Shannon Gallowglass

                  > Greetings.
                  >
                  > Can anyone suggest an antiseptic/healing herbal wash I can concoct that
                  > won't harm a cat if he licks it off (this could be difficult for him,
                  since
                  > the wounds are on his head, but still...). He's obviously been fighting
                  > (being 'boss cat' since my older cat died), and has what are probably claw
                  > wounds on his face, above his eye. I've just spent $120 getting an abcess
                  > cleaned out and sew up, and these wounds don't look so deep, so I'm hoping
                  > to be able to avoid further financial outlay. I have basic herbs -
                  rosemary,
                  > lavender, thyme, sage - in my garden, but I don't know whether they're OK
                  > for a cat to ingest.
                  >
                  > Thanks.
                  >
                  > Sinech.
                  > ________________________
                  > An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil
                  >  (The Truth against the World)
                  >
                  > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
                  > Absolutely Write! - - - - - - - Adding Value to Communication
                  >                     Writing  +  Editing  +  Proofreading
                  >                        Absolutely.Write@...
                  >          www.geocities.com/sinechnz/AbsolutelyWrite.html
                  >   +++ CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR NEW WORK! +++
                  > ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

                • Lila Richards
                  Message 8 of 13 , Mar 12, 2003
                    > I just had this happen to one of my cats, the abcess and assorted
                    scatches,
                    > that is. After we got it drained, I was told to appy Neosporin (the stuff
                    > you get for us humans for wounds, $3 or $4 dollars at a drug store) to the
                    > wound and scratches a couple times a day. Even if they lick it, it won't
                    > hurt cats. Even after it scabs over, still keep applying the Neosporin.
                    It
                    > will make the scabs less ichy and hopefully they won't scratch.
                    >
                    > Shannon Gallowglass

                    Thanks, but I live in New Zealand, and I'm pretty sure you can't buy
                    Neosporin over the counter here - and if you could, it would cost way more
                    than $3-$4. :-(
                    However, my boy has had his wound stitched, and has an antibiotic paste to
                    take, so he should be OK. I just hope he doesn't get into any more fights!

                    Sinech.
                    "The earth which sustains humanity must not be injured.
                    It must not be destroyed!"
                    - Hildegarde of Bingen, 1098-1178, Germany
                  • N B
                    Message 9 of 13 , Mar 19, 2003
                      -
                      > Thanks, but I live in New Zealand, and I'm pretty sure
                      > you can't buy
                      > Neosporin over the counter here - and if you could, it
                      > would cost way more
                      > than $3-$4. :-(
                      > However, my boy has had his wound stitched, and has an
                      > antibiotic paste to
                      > take, so he should be OK. I just hope he doesn't get into
                      > any more fights!
                      >
                      > Sinech.
                      > _________

                      Down under equivelent would be something like Dettol Cream.

                      Response to another post
                      There are veterinary version of Antiobiotic creams (quite
                      similar to the OTC human ones) the amount used for
                      Treatment should not be enough to make them sick. Regarding
                      ointment sticking to dirt , well dirt would stick to the
                      veterinary version as well, the key is to clean wound
                      between applications, apply, keep kitty busy while it soaks
                      in. Animals should be kept inside during treatments of any
                      open wound so shouldnt be getting dirty. (Personally think
                      an inside cat is a healthy happy cat)

                      Catalina, Vet Nurse

                      http://platinum.yahoo.com
                    • Lila Richards
                      Message 10 of 13 , Mar 19, 2003
                        > Down under equivelent would be something like Dettol Cream.

                        OK. However, with his wound sewn up, young Django is now well on the mend.
                        I ended up finding another home for the kitten (with a good friend who's
                        just as soppy about cats as I am!), and Django is back to his old self now
                        he's the sole centre of attention once more. :-)

                        At some stage I *may* see if he can cope with a female kitten (i.e. 'harem'
                        rather than competitor for Alpha Male status), but for now, it's just nice
                        to have him being himself again.

                        And many thanks for everyone's suggestions and comments. I really appreciate
                        your interest.

                        Sinech.