Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Thank you Ameline - peppermint seeds - vertical ideas

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2003
      > I bought some 2002 Ferry-Morse seeds on sale. How can they sell
      > seeds that are not what they claim? I started 2 seeds, one has
      > sprouted.

      In general, because mint hybridizes so readily, seeds of mint plants can't
      be depended on to come true to variety. However, it's perfectly possible
      to sell seeds for a hybrid plant-- most of the modern commercial varieties
      of seeds are in fact, hybrids. When you grow a hybrid from seed, the first
      generations should grow to be the plant you expect-- that's the point of
      the hybrid-- but if you save the seeds, subsequent generations will
      generally not come true from seed.

      Whether or not you get peppermint out of your peppermint seed, you will
      definitely get some type of mint, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if
      you can get the plants to grow.

      But in general, mint is one of a large group of plants that grows best
      from root cuttings or stem cuttings-- and most of us have some sort of
      mint that we would be willing to dig up to share (before it eats the
      house, that is...)

      "I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by
      giving, by losing." -- Anais Nin
    • Eilis <eilisag@yahoo.com>
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
        What you posted is exactly what I understood from the info I have
        read about hybrids, etc.

        BTW, I love your Anais Nin quote.

        Thanks so much for quick reply. I was getting nervous!