Thank you Ameline - peppermint seeds - vertical ideas

  • Eilis <eilisag@yahoo.com>
    Message 1 of 3 , Mar 2, 2003
      Thank you Ameline for your kind welcome!

      I bought some 2002 Ferry-Morse seeds on sale. How can they sell
      seeds that are not what they claim? I started 2 seeds, one has
      sprouted.

      BTW, what are some of your vertical ideas? I do have a porch, I don't
      think that one should nail siding - espec. a rental.

      Did I mention that I'm new ;)
    • Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 3 , Mar 2, 2003
        > I bought some 2002 Ferry-Morse seeds on sale. How can they sell
        > seeds that are not what they claim? I started 2 seeds, one has
        > sprouted.

        In general, because mint hybridizes so readily, seeds of mint plants can't
        be depended on to come true to variety. However, it's perfectly possible
        to sell seeds for a hybrid plant-- most of the modern commercial varieties
        of seeds are in fact, hybrids. When you grow a hybrid from seed, the first
        generations should grow to be the plant you expect-- that's the point of
        the hybrid-- but if you save the seeds, subsequent generations will
        generally not come true from seed.

        Whether or not you get peppermint out of your peppermint seed, you will
        definitely get some type of mint, so I wouldn't worry too much about it if
        you can get the plants to grow.

        But in general, mint is one of a large group of plants that grows best
        from root cuttings or stem cuttings-- and most of us have some sort of
        mint that we would be willing to dig up to share (before it eats the
        house, that is...)

        "I postpone death by living, by suffering, by error, by risking, by
        giving, by losing." -- Anais Nin
      • Eilis <eilisag@yahoo.com>
        Message 3 of 3 , Mar 3, 2003
          What you posted is exactly what I understood from the info I have
          read about hybrids, etc.

          BTW, I love your Anais Nin quote.

          Thanks so much for quick reply. I was getting nervous!