to Lady Roma

  • trustinit
    Message 1 of 12 , Feb 27, 2003
      Lady Roma,
      I'm new here too and new to SCA as well. I haven't yet posted an introduction. I'm so new in fact that I am just working on my persona.
      I am VERY interested in your post as I am pursueing a Celtic woman, healer, a traveler (perhaps a Gypsy?) living somewhere from 900-1100 C.E. (Common Era). I'm inviting you to correspond with me off list, if you will, so that I may learn more...
      thanks for considering,
      Robin (RKSlavin@...)

      Message: 2
      Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 03:39:12 -0000
      From: "Rhonda Kountz <roma1358@...>" <roma1358@...>
      Subject: 2003 classes

      Greetings!
      I am lady Roma, a Celtic Gypsy healer in the barony of al-Barran,
      Kingdom of the Outlands. I am new to this list & am very interested
      in herbal lore and healing and would very much like to get together
      with some of you and compare notes, etc. A list of classes was
      mentioned for 2003. Could someone please tell me where these classes
      will be taking place? Also, where can I get a complete list of said
      classes?
      Thank you,
      Roma

      Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com
    • Creative Coven
      Message 2 of 12 , Feb 28, 2003

        Hi,

        Me too, me too! It's really cool to hear all your voices! I'm pretty new to the SCA. I've been going to some things in my area (Kingdom of Endewearde, Maine) for about a year, but there are no Arts and Sciences groups here. A friendly soul just referred me to this list, and it's so exciting to hear people with interests similar to my own! :) I have been taking my time on developing a persona or two. I'm just not sure. I know my primary interests are herbs and gems. I found a nice website with period gem references that I can look up and post, if anyone is interested. Of course, the website itself may belong to someone on this list! :)

        Look forward to hearing from you all more, leslie

        Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 03:39:12 -0000
        From: "Rhonda Kountz <roma1358@...>" <roma1358@...>

        Greetings!
        I am lady Roma, a Celtic Gypsy healer in the barony of al-Barran,
        Kingdom of the Outlands. I am new to this list & am very interested
        in herbal lore and healing and would very much like to get together
        with some of you and compare notes, etc. A list of classes was
        mentioned for 2003. Could someone please tell me where these classes
        will be taking place? Also, where can I get a complete list of said
        classes?
        Thank you,
        Roma

        Join Excite! - http://www.excite.com

        Do you Yahoo!?

      • Lila Richards
        Message 3 of 12 , Feb 28, 2003
          > I am VERY interested in your post as I am pursueing a Celtic woman,
          healer, a traveler (perhaps a Gypsy?) living somewhere from 900-1100 C.E.
          (Common Era). I'm inviting you to correspond with me off list, if you will,
          so that I may learn more...

          Sorry for butting in here, but where are you thinking of having your persona
          reside? The various tribes called Celts by others (the name is from the
          Greek Keltoi) settled over most of Europe (e.g. Paris and Venice are named
          after Celtic tribes).

          However, by the time period you want, they would have become regional groups
          or kingdoms, e.g. Franks, etc. I don't know all the groups of this time, but
          the Holy Roman Empire was in existence.

          If you want to live in the British Isles, you'll need to check the kingdoms
          of that time. England was pretty much under Anglo-Saxon rule at the
          beginning of your time, and in several kingdoms: Wessex, Mercia,
          Northumbria, Deira, Bernicia, etc., and was Norman by the end of it. I'm not
          sure about Wales, but Ireland was in four kingdoms, Ulster, Munster,
          Leinster and Connaught (and possibly a fifth, Meath). I'm not sure exactly
          when Kenneth McAAlpin became King of all Scotland, but prior to that, there
          were areas under Pictish rule, and areas under the Gaelic (originally from
          Ireland) rulership of the Kingdom of Dal Riada.

          As far as I know, the Rom didn't appear in Europe until several centuries
          later, and I'm not sure that there were other kinds of Travellers, either,
          though there must have been some trades that were, by nature, somewhat
          itinerant. I imagine a skilled herbalist would be valued by the community
          she lived in, and would have plenty of work without having to travel. :-)

          Sinech.
          ________________________
          An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil
          (The Truth against the World)

          Absolutely Write! - - - - - - - Adding Value to Communication
          Writing + Editing + Proofreading
          Absolutely.Write@...
          www.geocities.com/sinechnz/AbsolutelyWrite.html
          +++ CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR NEW WORK! +++
        • Rusty & Nanci Umphres
          Message 4 of 12 , Feb 28, 2003

            Hi Sinech,

            You seem very knowledgeable in this area. How does one go about becoming involved in SCA? How do you decide on a persona and where to reside, etc? Would you be willing to communicate with me privately to fill me in on this? I joined this and several other groups on herbs to learn as much as I can about herbs. I also have an avid interest in Celtic Scotland, if that makes any sense.  I would like to use herbs medicinally, especially, as well as culinary and other applications. I look forward to hearing from you.

            nanci

            > I am VERY interested in your post as I am pursueing a Celtic woman,
            healer, a traveler (perhaps a Gypsy?) living somewhere from 900-1100 C.E.
            (Common Era). I'm inviting you to correspond with me off list, if you will,
            so that I may learn more...

            Sorry for butting in here, but where are you thinking of having your persona
            reside? The various tribes called Celts by others (the name is from the
            Greek Keltoi) settled over most of Europe (e.g. Paris and Venice are named
            after Celtic tribes).

            However, by the time period you want, they would have become regional groups
            or kingdoms, e.g. Franks, etc. I don't know all the groups of this time, but
            the Holy Roman Empire was in existence.

            If you want to live in the British Isles, you'll need to check the kingdoms
            of that time. England was pretty much under Anglo-Saxon rule at the
            beginning of your time, and in several kingdoms: Wessex, Mercia,
            Northumbria, Deira, Bernicia, etc., and was Norman by the end of it. I'm not
            sure about Wales, but Ireland was in four kingdoms, Ulster, Munster,
            Leinster and Connaught (and possibly a fifth, Meath). I'm not sure exactly
            when Kenneth McAAlpin became King of all Scotland, but prior to that, there
            were areas under Pictish rule, and areas under the Gaelic (originally from
            Ireland) rulership of the Kingdom of Dal Riada.

            As far as I know, the Rom didn't appear in Europe until several centuries
            later, and I'm not sure that there were other kinds of Travellers, either,
            though there must have been some trades that were, by nature, somewhat
            itinerant. I imagine a skilled herbalist would be valued by the community
            she lived in, and would have plenty of work without having to travel. :-)

            Sinech.
            ________________________
            An Fhirinne in aghaidh an tSaoil
            (The Truth against the World)

            Absolutely Write! - - - - - - - Adding Value to Communication
                                Writing  +  Editing  +  Proofreading
                                   Absolutely.Write@...
                     www.geocities.com/sinechnz/AbsolutelyWrite.html
              +++ CURRENTLY LOOKING FOR NEW WORK! +++

          • Tchipakkan
            Message 5 of 12 , Mar 3 10:00 PM
              Re: [SCA-Herbalist] to Lady Roma
              I went to a workshop recently (at EtheraCon) about the ancient Celtic approach to herbal healing. I can't find my notes right now, but there's a story about divine twins who healed- I think their father was jealous when the boy raised the dead and killed, and buried the boy. The girl noticed that where he'd been buried herbs were growing in the shape of a body, so she picked them and lay them out on her cloak in the same order. Using this pattern she was able to use the plants to heal, using the plant that was in the position of the heart for heart disease, and over the liver for liver disease etc. Her father got mad at this and picked up the corners of the cloak and dumped them all together so she couldn't do it anymore, and the goal of the Celtic healers since then is to reconstruct the pattern of the (I think it was) 360 herbs.  They have many, but not all. Yes, this does mean that there is a different herb for the right eye and the left eye, etc. It's no more silly than the doctrine of signatures. Anyway, if you are doing a Celtic healer, you should probably look into this.  I never heard anything about this in the SCA- apparently Alexi recently got to learn some of this directly on a trip to Ireland or Scotland ( I really wish I could find my notes!)
              This was only an Intro to Celtic Herbalism- the teacher was Alexei Kondratiev who teaches Irish language, and Celtic history at the Arts Center in Manhattan.  Sadly, I have no idea what his use name is. I certainly want to pursue this, but will have to wait until I bump into him again.

              Arastorm the Golden
              Lady of Stormgard

            • Lila Richards
              Message 6 of 12 , Mar 4 12:50 AM
                >>Hi Sinech,

                Hi!

                >>You seem very knowledgeable in this area.

                Well, thank you! :-)

                >>How does one go about becoming involved in SCA?

                First, I'd go to the Website www.sca.org/ which has lots information about
                what the SCA is and does, as well as help to find your local kingdom and
                groups near where you live. I'm afraid I can't be more specific myself, as I
                live in New Zealand (Barony of Southron Gaard = Christchurch, New Zealand),
                but you should find plenty of contacts, etc., on the SCA site.

                >>How do you decide on a persona and where to reside, etc? Would you be
                willing to communicate with me privately to fill me in on this?

                By all means, I'll help if I can. However, the process of deciding on a
                persona, time, place, etc., varies a lot from person to person. To tell you
                how it was for me... I always knew I wanted to be Irish, for no better
                reason than that I've had a 'thing' about Ireland since I was a child. At
                first, I wanted to 'live' as early as possible, but I've since gone a bit
                later, because it's just not possible to find out anything concrete about
                the very early time period in Ireland. Since then (this was around 20 years
                ago), I've just taken every opportunity to find out more - from the library,
                books, mailing lists, the Internet, whatever.

                >> I joined this and several other groups on herbs to learn as much as I can
                about herbs. I also have an avid interest in Celtic Scotland, if that makes
                any sense.

                I suspect you mean Gaelic Scotland :-), though the Picts were also Celts, of
                the Brythonic type (i.e. their language was similar to Welsh, Breton,
                Cornish, rather than Gaelic). However, when most people think of 'Celtic'
                Scotland or Ireland, it's the Gaels they mean. If you have an interest in
                Scotland, then this could be a good starting point for developing a persona.
                There is a Persona Development group among the SCA Yahoo groups, which could
                be helpful. And the Academy of St Gabriel Website has articles on Scottish
                and Irish names and naming practices.

                >> I would like to use herbs medicinally, especially, as well as culinary
                and other applications. I look forward to hearing from you.

                Well, I certainly don't claim to be an expert on herbs (though I'm
                interested), but there's plenty of information out there to get you going.

                Best of luck.

                Sinech.
                ________________________

                Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

              • Munson,Jennifer N.
                Message 7 of 12 , Mar 4 1:39 PM
                  Hi Robin and other newer SCAdians!

                  As someone else suggested, you can find out an awful lot by starting online at www.sca.org and then finding the websites for your Kindgdom and local group.

                  > Me too, me too! It's really cool to hear all your voices! I'm
                  > pretty new to the SCA. I've been going to some things in my
                  > area (Kingdom of Endewearde, Maine) for about a year, but
                  > there are no Arts and Sciences groups here.

                  Please excuse the correction, but in all likelihood you are in the Shire of Endewearde, which is in the Kingdom of the East. Endewearde wouldn't be a kingdom unless they've seceded somehow and not let the rest of us Easterners know! ;) Kingdoms are made up of Shires and Baronies, and sometimes other groups... it gets more complicated past those basic terms.

                  Your local Mistress of Arts and Sciences should be Lady Bryn Millar. She is also the webmistress according to the local web page, http://www.endewearde.eastkingdom.org/, and her email address is on that site. The website says there are A&S things happening in the Waterville area, but you're in such a geographically large Shire that I'm not surprised if that's too far for you to drive easily. You might be able to ask whether you could host an A&S gathering and have others come to you, however!

                  AnneLiese (Kingdom Mistress of Arts and Sciences)

                  +
                • Suhayma@cox.net

                    Message 9 of 12 , Mar 5 8:31 PM
                      Re: [SCA-Herbalist] to Lady Roma
                      If you are really searching for those 360 herbs, check out how homeopathy uses each herb.  They often divide up into left sided/right sided remedies.

                      Alexandra

                      It is not I looking for the herbs, it's the group of the Celtic Traditional Herbalists. Yes, I've noticed that the homeopathists have a left/right differentiation. I don't quite understand it, but if it works... I just figured that as (in the soothsayers guild) in the SCA it's more important to study rune sticks than the modern runes on tiles, and the Renaissance people look for period spreads rather than the common "Celtic Cross", so in the herbalists guild, we'd like to look into period traditions. This doesn't mean that I don't study Native plants- I think it appropriate to know what the plants in your yard can do for you, and I am more concerned with efficacy and safety than simple historical accuracy- but within the SCA I think it important to study the astrological data and the doctrine of signatures- and to try to figure out which herbs were available to which cultures, so we can do persona better. I will certainly take and dispense that which I know to be safe and effective (including homeopathic remedies, accupressure, and oriental treatments). But in the SCA we are looking at history- and I figured this new area I'd just found out about would be as exciting to the Celts on the list as it was to this Anglo-Saxon.
                      --
                      Tchipakkan
                      Arastorm the Golden
                      Message 10 of 12 , Mar 25 7:21 AM

                        > It is not I looking for the herbs, it's the group of the Celtic
                        > Traditional Herbalists. Yes, I've noticed that the homeopathists have a
                        > left/right differentiation. I don't quite understand it, but if it
                        > works... I just figured that as (in the soothsayers guild) in the SCA
                        > it's more important to study rune sticks than the modern runes on tiles,
                        > and the Renaissance people look for period spreads rather than the
                        > common "Celtic Cross", so in the herbalists guild, we'd like to look
                        > into period traditions.

                        I don't think it has the info you want, but it's still interesting...
                        there's a neopagan book:

                        Hopman, Ellen Evert. A Druid's Herbal for the Sacred Earth Year.
                        (Rochester, VT: Destiny Books, 1995)

                        which has an unexpectedly excellent section on what herbs and plants can
                        be dated in the archeobotanical record to pre-Christian times in Britain.

                        -- Jadwiga

                        --
                        / Jennifer Heise, Helpdesk/Librarian, Email: jahb@...
                        \ \ Lehigh Library & Technology Services, Phone: (610) 758-3072

                        "Comment is free, but facts are on expenses." -- Tom Stoppard
                      • Tchipakkan
                        Message 11 of 12 , Mar 26 5:53 PM
                          > Hopman, Ellen Evert. A Druid's Herbal for the Sacred Earth Year.
                          > (Rochester, VT: Destiny Books, 1995)
                          I love her stuff- have you been to her web page?
                          --
                          Tchipakkan
                          Arastorm the Golden
                          Message 12 of 12 , May 12, 2003
                            Hi! I'm in Endewearde, too (village of Penobscot). I have been struggling to meet people due to the long commute to most events in Waterville, since I work full time and so on. If you ever want to work with Bryne to start a small working group or something in our area, I'd be interested. :)
                            blessed journey, Leslie L.