Immediate Help Needed for Holiday Presents

  • Dianaim
    Message 1 of 5 , Dec 23, 2002
      Hello Everyone,

      I am sorry to spring this on to the lists, however, if anyone can advise me as soon as possible, I would be very appreciative.

      I am making a batch of bruise butter for some fighters in my household as x-mas presents.  The recipe that I have calls for coconut oil.  I am highly allergic to coconut oil.

      Can I use another oil in it's place?

      The recipe calls for baking in the oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees.

      Thank you for your help in advance.

      Dianaim
    • Paquerette
      Message 2 of 5 , Dec 23, 2002
        > Dianaim wrote:
        >
        > Hello Everyone,
        >
        > I am sorry to spring this on to the lists, however, if anyone can
        > advise me as soon as possible, I would be very appreciative.
        >
        > I am making a batch of bruise butter for some fighters in my household
        > as x-mas presents. The recipe that I have calls for coconut oil. I
        > am highly allergic to coconut oil.
        >
        > Can I use another oil in it's place?
        >
        > The recipe calls for baking in the oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
        >
        > Thank you for your help in advance.
        >
        > Dianaim

        I used olive oil in mine. It was simmered in a double boiler, not baked.
        It seems to have held up well.

        Ennoguent.
      • Alywn
        Message 3 of 5 , Dec 23, 2002
          Any oil, vegatable or animal, can be substituted. Generally, I'd just switch to almond or olive oil as coconut oil isn't period anyway.
          Avacyn

          >Hello Everyone,
          >
          >I am sorry to spring this on to the lists, however, if anyone can advise me as soon as possible, I would be very appreciative.
          >
          >I am making a batch of bruise butter for some fighters in my household as x-mas presents. The recipe that I have calls for coconut oil. I am highly allergic to coconut oil.
          >
          >Can I use another oil in it's place?
          >
          >The recipe calls for baking in the oven for 1 hour at 350 degrees.
          >
          >Thank you for your help in advance.
          >
          >Dianaim
        • Krys Jeffrey-Wagner
          Message 4 of 5 , Dec 23, 2002
            You can try Almond Oil as a possible  alternative. I have used it without any problems baking it into stuff close to 400 degrees. Also you might be able to use Olive Oil.  Good luck.

            Aricia Jehane

            Message 5 of 5 , Dec 23, 2002
              Hi Everyone,

              I just wanted to thank everyone who came to my aide with their suggestions.  I have made 11 - 2 oz containers of bruise butter using Almond oil in place of the coconut oil.  My husband has tested the bruise butter and says that it is as smooth as butter and absorbs nicely into the skin.  Not bad for the very first item that I have tried that needed to be cooked.

              Happy Holidays to you all!

              Dianaim