EK Herb Guild Meetings or classes...

  • jenne@tulgey.browser.net
    Message 1 of 7 , Jan 19, 2000
      I think it would be a lot of fun to have a discussion meeting at
      some events in the East Kingdom. If you are having an event near
      you where a herb discussion would be a Good Thing, would you mind
      posting to the list so we could try to set one up? Seems like a
      number of people out there are feeling a bit isolated.

      If any of you are coming to Krakow Festivities (in Allentown PA) on
      January 29, please stop by the resource table to chat!

      Also, I'm going to be teaching a class on Medieval Scents (the use
      of scented herbs, spices and resins in period) at the EKU on
      February 19th.

      Are people out there interested in introductory classes on medieval use of
      herbs or would you rather see more advanced ones?

      -- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
    • Aelfwyn@aol.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Jan 19, 2000
        In a message dated 1/19/00 12:01:25 PM Pacific Standard Time,
        jenne@... writes:

        << I think it would be a lot of fun to have a discussion meeting at
        some events in the East Kingdom. If you are having an event near
        you where a herb discussion would be a Good Thing, would you mind
        posting to the list so we could try to set one up? Seems like a
        number of people out there are feeling a bit isolated. >>
        I will be merchanting again this year at Market Day at Birka (Feb. 5 in NH).
        Anyone attending from this list is welcome to stop by my table and "talk
        herbs". My merchanting is called Garb to Go and I sell mostly clothing and
        capes.
        Lady Aelfwyn Marie von Augsburg, Province of Malagentia
        Heidi Nilsen
      • Amos Brooks
        Message 3 of 7 , Jan 19, 2000
          jenne@... wrote:

          > From: jenne@...
          >
          > I think it would be a lot of fun to have a discussion meeting at
          > some events in the East Kingdom. If you are having an event near
          > you where a herb discussion would be a Good Thing, would you mind
          > posting to the list so we could try to set one up? Seems like a
          > number of people out there are feeling a bit isolated.

          I will be running children's events for the day at both Coronation ( of
          Balfar and Luna) and Crown tourney. Both of these being in Barony beyond the
          Mountains
          ( CT ) I would love to set some space a side for a place to converse.
          For something sooner, I will be working at Baronial Investiture for
          Dragonship Haven ( held in Bridgeport CT) on February 12th 2000. I can
          "chat" then also.
        • Jenne Heise
          Message 4 of 7 , Jan 21, 2000
            > I will be merchanting again this year at Market Day at Birka (Feb. 5 in NH).
            > Anyone attending from this list is welcome to stop by my table and "talk
            > herbs". My merchanting is called Garb to Go and I sell mostly clothing and
            > capes.

            Wonderful! (unfortunately I won't be able to go to Birka but this a great
            idea for those who can.)

            disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

            "He drew a circle to keep me out: Heretic, Rebel, a thing to flout;
            But Love and I had the wit to win: we drew a circle that took him in."
          • Robin
            Message 5 of 7 , Jan 22, 2000
              At 08:00 PM 1/19/00 +0000, you wrote:
              >From: jenne@...
              >
              >Also, I'm going to be teaching a class on Medieval Scents (the use
              >of scented herbs, spices and resins in period) at the EKU on
              >February 19th.
              >
              >Are people out there interested in introductory classes on medieval use of
              >herbs or would you rather see more advanced ones?
              >
              >-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa

              For those of us living in the far reaches of the world (Calontir in my
              case) would anyone be interested in posting some of their class materials
              to this list for general education and discussion? Might liven things up
              as spring (hopefully) approaches.

              Tamarra
            • Betty Braaksma
              Message 6 of 7 , Jan 24, 2000
                Yes, please do post for others! I'm just starting to get into medieval
                herbalism in a serious way and would appreciate any info you could post or
                point to. I'm in the Shire of Mare Amethystinum, Principality of
                Northshield, Middle Kingdom.

                thks much,

                Bernegaria of Outremer aka Betty Braaksma

                >From: Robin <tamarra@...>
                >To: SCA-Herbalist@onelist.com
                >Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] EK Herb Guild Meetings or classes...
                >Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2000 17:58:04 -0600
                >
                >At 08:00 PM 1/19/00 +0000, you wrote:
                > >From: jenne@...
                > >
                > >Also, I'm going to be teaching a class on Medieval Scents (the use
                > >of scented herbs, spices and resins in period) at the EKU on
                > >February 19th.
                > >
                > >Are people out there interested in introductory classes on medieval use
                >of
                > >herbs or would you rather see more advanced ones?
                > >
                > >-- Jadwiga Zajaczkowa
                > >

                >For those of us living in the far reaches of the world (Calontir in my
                >case) would anyone be interested in posting some of their class materials
                >to this list for general education and discussion? Might liven things up
                >as spring (hopefully) approaches.
                >
                >Tamarra

              • Jenne Heise
                Message 7 of 7 , Jan 24, 2000
                  On Mon, 24 Jan 2000, Betty Braaksma wrote:
                  > Yes, please do post for others! I'm just starting to get into medieval
                  > herbalism in a serious way and would appreciate any info you could post or
                  > point to.

                  I've got some links to resources on my page:
                  http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/herblinks.html

                  A few class handouts that may or may not be useful to other herbalists:

                  'A Selection of Herbs used in Medieval Times' (the handout from a
                  scratch-n-sniff herb display at a demo-- it's very basic):
                  http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/herbhandout.htm

                  'Spices from the East' (a handlist of spices that were associated with the
                  Eastern spice trade and/or crusades, with cookery, scent and medicinal
                  uses)
                  http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/Easternspice.html

                  'Scents of the Middle Ages' (a short handout on medical and cosmetic uses
                  of scented flowers, herbs and spices in the Middle Ages-- due to be
                  updated and expanded in the next few weeks)
                  http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/scents.html

                  'Jadwiga's Stillroom Booke' (a large handout on various aspects of
                  herbalism and information on a few specific herbs. It was the handout for
                  the first-- and most ambitious-- herb class I ever taught; and the class
                  was a complete failure!)
                  http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/bunny_herbal.html

                  disclaimer: i speak for no-one and no-one speaks for me...

                  "You do not lead by hitting people over the head -- that's assault,
                  not leadership." Dwight D. Eisenhower