Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Powder ingredients

  • Jenne Heise
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 7, 2002
      Lady Grania wrote:
      > MDAdvice.com says that Orris root can interfere with
      > the absorption of certain nutrients. The internal use
      > is rife with side effects and I would be afraid of the
      > potential for inhalation of a powder.

      MDAdvice.com says that Orris Root is the root of the Black Flag, Iris
      Versicolor. All other sources on _Iris Versicolor_ consider it
      dangerous. However, they don't consider Iris Versicolor to be Orrisroot.

      All my other sources say that Orris Root is the root of the Florentine
      iris, I. Florentina, or I. Germanica or I. pallida.
      Let's put it this way: The FDA says it's ok to put orris oil (from Iris
      Florentina) in food.

      I think there may be some confusion in the mind of the author of the
      text used by MDAdvice.com. [Ok, there are other things in the
      MDAdvice.com supplements text that make me uneasy about it, now that I
      look at it.]

      I _do_ think that you should avoid using the powdered form of ANY
      orrisroot because of possible allergies unless you know you are not
      allergic, though.

      --
      / Jennifer Heise, Helpdesk/Librarian, Email: jahb@...
      \ \ Lehigh Library & Technology Services, Phone: (610) 758-3072

      "Comment is free, but facts are on expenses." -- Tom Stoppard
    • Lady Grania
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 7, 2002
        Generally, the best advice is: When in doubt, do
        without. We both agree that orrisroot may pose health
        hazards that our modern bodies don't want to deal
        with. Being strictly period, however, say for a
        competition or such, I might be cautious about who and
        what kind of exposure I allow and go with the period
        stuff anyway, as long as no one actually uses it.

        http://launch.yahoo.com/u2