Re: [SCA-Herbalist] attention, everyone who said this was a good idea

  • Silver Moon
    Message 1 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
      This sounds great! Count me in to help! I am doing a class this weekend
      and I have some interesting stuff you may use.

      Cerridwen

      >I've been doing some figuring about this "forward into the past -- for
      >herbs"
      >project, and I'm going to see if it can be done.

      Are we doing period herbs? Are we including herbs used in todays world?

      Cerridwen

      >First objective: a name. Any ideas? So far I've thought up several
      >not-particularly-inspired ones, such as
      >Forward -- with Herbs
      >Herbalists Unite!
      >Guilded Herbs
      >The Historical Herbalist
      >
      >Please, someone, think up a good one. No matter what we use, it will
      >probably
      >get a subtitle along the lines of "SCA Herbalism."
      >
      >Okay, next, I am looking for articles. For the most part, they should not
      >be
      >longer than 350 words (any longer and you risk editorial cuts) and should
      >be
      >firmly INTRODUCTORY. If possible, a simple "recipe" is a good thing to
      >include.
      >
      >So far I have pledges ("Promises" is a little strong) for period culinary
      >herbs (that's Suhayma), wild crafting / edible wild herbs (Hedvig) and
      >artwork, which I'm hoping includes a gorgeous cover (Rhianwen).
      >
      >I'd also like articles on dying with herbs, period practice (there was some
      >discussion on this list recently to use as a basis), gardening /herb
      >growing,
      >and a double-size one on basic compounding (scents, remedies, cosmetics,
      >etc.) An introduction (which, unless I change my mind, I'll volunteer for)
      >will include warnings and definitions and such. There will also be a
      >bibliography (for which I intend to lean on Jadwiga to help cull the
      >beginner
      >stuff from the long, long list of stuff we've accumulated) and the back
      >cover
      >will be contact information, including blank space for groups other than
      >EKHAG to use for their own contact info.
      >
      >On your mark. Get set. WRITE!
      >Johanna

      Lady Cerridwen Ravenhawk
      Of the McLean Family
      Canton of Lionsdale
      fullsilvermoon@...

      Surf the Web without missing calls!�Get MSN Broadband.
    • Linda Krecker-Schkred
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
        Not a problem. I can also include a short blurp about the history of
        botanical illustration. It will be decidely shorter than 350 words, I
        hope :)

        I'll need, when you're ready, to have size specs.

        Rhianwen

        At 12:03 AM -0500 11/1/02, newbrg@... wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
        <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2460941.3878106.2273195/D=egroupweb/S=1705767503:HM/A=810373/R=0/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>

      • Suhayma@cox.net

          Message 4 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
            Yes, please! I'm hoping one or two will be "shorter" since that will make
            layout a lot more flexible. As for specs, Do you have a copy of the REAL
            Forward Into The Past? That size and shape -- in other words, 8.5x11 folded
            in half to make a 5.5x8.5 page.
            It'll have to be b&w, since I plan to put it into pdf format so people can
            download it and make copies for distribution.

            johanna

          • newbrg@aol.com
            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
              Better than mine! (Is this where heraldry and herbalism cross, with herbal
              puns?)

              johanna

              In a message dated 11/1/02 12:37:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, Suhayma@...
              writes:

              > For title: How about "Guilding the Lilly, and Other Useful Herbs" ?
              >
              > Suhayma

            • Debbie & Tim Coyle
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
                I actually like "The Historical Herbalist" or titles along that line:
                "Historical Herbalism", "Herbalism in History". etc.

                Contribution wise: I have an 8 page Very beginner, VERY modern handout
                on making potpourri, herbal vinegar, bath salts, herbal butter, bouquet
                garni. It doesn't cover historical applications or historical methods,
                it's "here's how you can do these things in you own home". Is that
                something you're interested in? Or is something you want, or do you want
                more historically oriented items?

                -- Lynnette de Sandoval

                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 3, 2002
                  In a message dated 11/2/02 2:32:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                  housezacharia@... writes:

                  > I actually like "The Historical Herbalist" or titles along that line:
                  > "Historical Herbalism", "Herbalism in History". etc.

                  Well, it DOES have the advantage of being instantly understandable.
                  "The Historical Herbalist" is one of the frontrunners at present.

                  > Contribution wise: I have an 8 page Very beginner, VERY modern handout
                  > on making potpourri, herbal vinegar, bath salts, herbal butter, bouquet
                  > garni. It doesn't cover historical applications or historical methods,
                  > it's "here's how you can do these things in you own home". Is that
                  > something you're interested in? Or is something you want, or do you want
                  > more historically oriented items?

                  The target for this publication is the newbie who is interested in our
                  subject and hopes we can teach him/her. So there's a real place for an
                  article explaining the procedures we actually use at home, the simpler the
                  better. But there should be some passing reference to the historical method
                  if it was 'way different. Yes, it's going to be a real challenge to cut this
                  down to the necessary brevity, even though this one is tagged at 700 words!
                  (Think you're up to the challenge? <g> Have at it! I'd like to see it, and if
                  all else fails we're looking for handouts for the website.)

                  Johanna
                • JENNIFER A. HEISE
                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 4, 2002
                    > Well, it DOES have the advantage of being instantly understandable.
                    > "The Historical Herbalist" is one of the frontrunners at present.

                    How about: The SCAdian Herbalist: Medieval and Renaissance Herbs

                    I'm not sure what I'm going to contribute, I'm wondering what I could
                    write that I could keep down to 300 words!

                    - Jadwiga
                  • Linda Krecker-Schkred
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 4, 2002
                      At 11:53 PM -0500 11/1/02, newbrg@... wrote:
                      Yes, please! I'm hoping one or two will be "shorter" since that will make
                      layout a lot more flexible. As for specs, Do you have a copy of the REAL
                      Forward Into The Past? That size and shape -- in other words, 8.5x11 folded
                      in half to make a 5.5x8.5 page.

                      as a matter of fact, I do. It is the size you guessed. There are 16
                      inside pages (from 4 sheets of paper) and a heaver weight cover. And
                      it is b&w. The cover has the name a line stating "An Introductory
                      Guide to the SCA" both written in a computer based old English font.
                      There is a nice picture on the cover. There are short articles that
                      mostly take one page with a simple title: Membership, What is the
                      SCA?, Getting Started, What to Wear, All Purpose T-tunic (2 pages),
                      Fitting in at Events, Names and Persons, Kingdom and Local Officers,
                      Who is Who? (just over 2 pages) Heraldry, Guilds, Households and
                      Sociability, The Gentle Arts and Sciences and SCA Combat. The center
                      spread is a USA and Canada (there are arrows pointing towards the non
                      N. American principalities) map showing the kingdoms and the inside
                      back cover has shorter articles called For Further Information and
                      Acknowledgements and a box with notes about the illustrations. Each
                      page, except the center spread and the inside front and back of the
                      cover, has a 1" wide by the full length illustration that includes a
                      bit of medieval swirlly stuff and circles with the heraldry of the
                      kingdoms, peerages, and offices. Looking over it, this is a huge
                      amount of information, much more that you can teach in an SCA 101
                      class. And except for the map of kingdoms it is still up-to-date.
                      (This issue is copyright 1989) The back cover has only the return
                      address in order to use as a self mailer.

                      Rhianwen
                    • newbrg@aol.com
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002
                        Speaking of the "real" Forward Into The Past publication in a message dated
                        11/4/02 2:53:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, rhianwen@... writes:

                        > Each
                        > page, except the center spread and the inside front and back of the
                        > cover, has a 1" wide by the full length illustration that includes a
                        > bit of medieval swirlly stuff and circles with the heraldry of the
                        > kingdoms, peerages, and offices.

                        Yes. Well, I had more in mind spot art with maybe the occasional top or
                        bottom border. Or whatever else moves you ...

                        Johanna
                      • Rosie Gomez
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 12, 2002
                          I wonder if I might be of some assistance with this
                          project. I have been editing for a while and would
                          like to offer my services. Please let me know if I
                          might be of any assistance.

                          Rosario de la Torre

                          http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
                        • Linda Krecker-Schkred
                          Message 12 of 16 , Dec 16, 2002
                            Greetings all. This request might be a bit OOP but I would like some
                            suggestions from this group if possible.

                            A friend has become the administrator of a small facility that has
                            various colonial buildings including a farm house and (important
                            here) an herbal garden. She has offered me the opportunity to do a
                            series of classes based on the herbal garden during the tourist
                            season. I don't know any details about the place but intend to visit
                            some time this winter. She has said they will plant anything I want
                            as well. Each class is to be two hours and the participants should be
                            able to go away with something they made. She wants me to teach all
                            of them as that's easier on their paperwork. I'm jumping at this
                            chance as a way of adding to my income but also to learn and do more
                            with herbals. I'm hopping to come up with a group of proposals to
                            take to her so planning can be made easily. A few suggestions from
                            her are soap making, vinegars, poupouries or scented pillows maybe,
                            and this one I found on the internet while searching for something
                            else:

                            *Tea Party- Wed. Dec.4, 7-9pm - Select, blend and brew your own
                            special tea formula from an assortment of teas, herbs and spices.
                            Enjoy a tasting with goodies provided. A festive event and a great
                            gift idea.

                            Any other ideas? classes you may want to take? or an expansion on
                            these? I especially don't know anything about soap making but the
                            opportunity is just to good to let it slip.

                            Thanks all, I appreciate all this.

                            Rhianwen
                          • collette
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 16, 2002
                              don't forget the dye pot
                              candymaking
                              cooking with herbs

                              From: Linda Krecker-Schkred <rhianwen@...>
                              Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:29:16 -0500

                                Message 15 of 16 , Dec 17, 2002
                                  In a message dated 12/16/02 11:42:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                                  rhianwen@... writes:

                                  > Any other ideas? classes you may want to take? or an expansion on
                                  > these? I especially don't know anything about soap making but the
                                  > opportunity is just to good to let it slip.

                                  Since I'm willing to bet (and I'm not a gambler!) that this site isn't
                                  medieval, it opens up possibilities. My favorite is to make lavender wands --
                                  the main drawback being getting enough lavender spikes for the project. I've
                                  got directions in my files somewhere, let me know if you want them.

                                  Jo Anne (since Johanna just spreads her lavender between the linens ...)