attention, everyone who said this was a good idea

  • newbrg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 31, 2002
      I've been doing some figuring about this "forward into the past -- for herbs"
      project, and I'm going to see if it can be done.

      First objective: a name. Any ideas? So far I've thought up several
      not-particularly-inspired ones, such as
      Forward -- with Herbs
      Herbalists Unite!
      Guilded Herbs
      The Historical Herbalist

      Please, someone, think up a good one. No matter what we use, it will probably
      get a subtitle along the lines of "SCA Herbalism."

      Okay, next, I am looking for articles. For the most part, they should not be
      longer than 350 words (any longer and you risk editorial cuts) and should be
      firmly INTRODUCTORY. If possible, a simple "recipe" is a good thing to
      include.

      So far I have pledges ("Promises" is a little strong) for period culinary
      herbs (that's Suhayma), wild crafting / edible wild herbs (Hedvig) and
      artwork, which I'm hoping includes a gorgeous cover (Rhianwen).

      I'd also like articles on dying with herbs, period practice (there was some
      discussion on this list recently to use as a basis), gardening /herb growing,
      and a double-size one on basic compounding (scents, remedies, cosmetics,
      etc.) An introduction (which, unless I change my mind, I'll volunteer for)
      will include warnings and definitions and such. There will also be a
      bibliography (for which I intend to lean on Jadwiga to help cull the beginner
      stuff from the long, long list of stuff we've accumulated) and the back cover
      will be contact information, including blank space for groups other than
      EKHAG to use for their own contact info.

      On your mark. Get set. WRITE!
      Johanna
    • Silver Moon
      Message 2 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
        This sounds great! Count me in to help! I am doing a class this weekend
        and I have some interesting stuff you may use.

        Cerridwen

        >I've been doing some figuring about this "forward into the past -- for
        >herbs"
        >project, and I'm going to see if it can be done.

        Are we doing period herbs? Are we including herbs used in todays world?

        Cerridwen

        >First objective: a name. Any ideas? So far I've thought up several
        >not-particularly-inspired ones, such as
        >Forward -- with Herbs
        >Herbalists Unite!
        >Guilded Herbs
        >The Historical Herbalist
        >
        >Please, someone, think up a good one. No matter what we use, it will
        >probably
        >get a subtitle along the lines of "SCA Herbalism."
        >
        >Okay, next, I am looking for articles. For the most part, they should not
        >be
        >longer than 350 words (any longer and you risk editorial cuts) and should
        >be
        >firmly INTRODUCTORY. If possible, a simple "recipe" is a good thing to
        >include.
        >
        >So far I have pledges ("Promises" is a little strong) for period culinary
        >herbs (that's Suhayma), wild crafting / edible wild herbs (Hedvig) and
        >artwork, which I'm hoping includes a gorgeous cover (Rhianwen).
        >
        >I'd also like articles on dying with herbs, period practice (there was some
        >discussion on this list recently to use as a basis), gardening /herb
        >growing,
        >and a double-size one on basic compounding (scents, remedies, cosmetics,
        >etc.) An introduction (which, unless I change my mind, I'll volunteer for)
        >will include warnings and definitions and such. There will also be a
        >bibliography (for which I intend to lean on Jadwiga to help cull the
        >beginner
        >stuff from the long, long list of stuff we've accumulated) and the back
        >cover
        >will be contact information, including blank space for groups other than
        >EKHAG to use for their own contact info.
        >
        >On your mark. Get set. WRITE!
        >Johanna

        Lady Cerridwen Ravenhawk
        Of the McLean Family
        Canton of Lionsdale
        fullsilvermoon@...

        Surf the Web without missing calls!�Get MSN Broadband.
      • Linda Krecker-Schkred
        Message 3 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
          Not a problem. I can also include a short blurp about the history of
          botanical illustration. It will be decidely shorter than 350 words, I
          hope :)

          I'll need, when you're ready, to have size specs.

          Rhianwen

          At 12:03 AM -0500 11/1/02, newbrg@... wrote:
[...]

          Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
          <http://rd.yahoo.com/M=212804.2460941.3878106.2273195/D=egroupweb/S=1705767503:HM/A=810373/R=0/*http://geocities.yahoo.com/ps/info?.refer=blrecs>

        • Suhayma@cox.net

            Message 5 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
              Yes, please! I'm hoping one or two will be "shorter" since that will make
              layout a lot more flexible. As for specs, Do you have a copy of the REAL
              Forward Into The Past? That size and shape -- in other words, 8.5x11 folded
              in half to make a 5.5x8.5 page.
              It'll have to be b&w, since I plan to put it into pdf format so people can
              download it and make copies for distribution.

              johanna

            • newbrg@aol.com
              Message 6 of 16 , Nov 1, 2002
                Better than mine! (Is this where heraldry and herbalism cross, with herbal
                puns?)

                johanna

                In a message dated 11/1/02 12:37:33 PM Eastern Standard Time, Suhayma@...
                writes:

                > For title: How about "Guilding the Lilly, and Other Useful Herbs" ?
                >
                > Suhayma

              • Debbie & Tim Coyle
                Message 7 of 16 , Nov 2, 2002
                  I actually like "The Historical Herbalist" or titles along that line:
                  "Historical Herbalism", "Herbalism in History". etc.

                  Contribution wise: I have an 8 page Very beginner, VERY modern handout
                  on making potpourri, herbal vinegar, bath salts, herbal butter, bouquet
                  garni. It doesn't cover historical applications or historical methods,
                  it's "here's how you can do these things in you own home". Is that
                  something you're interested in? Or is something you want, or do you want
                  more historically oriented items?

                  -- Lynnette de Sandoval

                  Message 8 of 16 , Nov 3, 2002
                    In a message dated 11/2/02 2:32:32 PM Eastern Standard Time,
                    housezacharia@... writes:

                    > I actually like "The Historical Herbalist" or titles along that line:
                    > "Historical Herbalism", "Herbalism in History". etc.

                    Well, it DOES have the advantage of being instantly understandable.
                    "The Historical Herbalist" is one of the frontrunners at present.

                    > Contribution wise: I have an 8 page Very beginner, VERY modern handout
                    > on making potpourri, herbal vinegar, bath salts, herbal butter, bouquet
                    > garni. It doesn't cover historical applications or historical methods,
                    > it's "here's how you can do these things in you own home". Is that
                    > something you're interested in? Or is something you want, or do you want
                    > more historically oriented items?

                    The target for this publication is the newbie who is interested in our
                    subject and hopes we can teach him/her. So there's a real place for an
                    article explaining the procedures we actually use at home, the simpler the
                    better. But there should be some passing reference to the historical method
                    if it was 'way different. Yes, it's going to be a real challenge to cut this
                    down to the necessary brevity, even though this one is tagged at 700 words!
                    (Think you're up to the challenge? <g> Have at it! I'd like to see it, and if
                    all else fails we're looking for handouts for the website.)

                    Johanna
                  • JENNIFER A. HEISE
                    Message 9 of 16 , Nov 4, 2002
                      > Well, it DOES have the advantage of being instantly understandable.
                      > "The Historical Herbalist" is one of the frontrunners at present.

                      How about: The SCAdian Herbalist: Medieval and Renaissance Herbs

                      I'm not sure what I'm going to contribute, I'm wondering what I could
                      write that I could keep down to 300 words!

                      - Jadwiga
                    • Linda Krecker-Schkred
                      Message 10 of 16 , Nov 4, 2002
                        At 11:53 PM -0500 11/1/02, newbrg@... wrote:
                        Yes, please! I'm hoping one or two will be "shorter" since that will make
                        layout a lot more flexible. As for specs, Do you have a copy of the REAL
                        Forward Into The Past? That size and shape -- in other words, 8.5x11 folded
                        in half to make a 5.5x8.5 page.

                        as a matter of fact, I do. It is the size you guessed. There are 16
                        inside pages (from 4 sheets of paper) and a heaver weight cover. And
                        it is b&w. The cover has the name a line stating "An Introductory
                        Guide to the SCA" both written in a computer based old English font.
                        There is a nice picture on the cover. There are short articles that
                        mostly take one page with a simple title: Membership, What is the
                        SCA?, Getting Started, What to Wear, All Purpose T-tunic (2 pages),
                        Fitting in at Events, Names and Persons, Kingdom and Local Officers,
                        Who is Who? (just over 2 pages) Heraldry, Guilds, Households and
                        Sociability, The Gentle Arts and Sciences and SCA Combat. The center
                        spread is a USA and Canada (there are arrows pointing towards the non
                        N. American principalities) map showing the kingdoms and the inside
                        back cover has shorter articles called For Further Information and
                        Acknowledgements and a box with notes about the illustrations. Each
                        page, except the center spread and the inside front and back of the
                        cover, has a 1" wide by the full length illustration that includes a
                        bit of medieval swirlly stuff and circles with the heraldry of the
                        kingdoms, peerages, and offices. Looking over it, this is a huge
                        amount of information, much more that you can teach in an SCA 101
                        class. And except for the map of kingdoms it is still up-to-date.
                        (This issue is copyright 1989) The back cover has only the return
                        address in order to use as a self mailer.

                        Rhianwen
                      • newbrg@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 16 , Nov 5, 2002
                          Speaking of the "real" Forward Into The Past publication in a message dated
                          11/4/02 2:53:51 PM Eastern Standard Time, rhianwen@... writes:

                          > Each
                          > page, except the center spread and the inside front and back of the
                          > cover, has a 1" wide by the full length illustration that includes a
                          > bit of medieval swirlly stuff and circles with the heraldry of the
                          > kingdoms, peerages, and offices.

                          Yes. Well, I had more in mind spot art with maybe the occasional top or
                          bottom border. Or whatever else moves you ...

                          Johanna
                        • Rosie Gomez
                          Message 12 of 16 , Nov 12, 2002
                            I wonder if I might be of some assistance with this
                            project. I have been editing for a while and would
                            like to offer my services. Please let me know if I
                            might be of any assistance.

                            Rosario de la Torre

                            http://launch.yahoo.com/u2
                          • Linda Krecker-Schkred
                            Message 13 of 16 , Dec 16, 2002
                              Greetings all. This request might be a bit OOP but I would like some
                              suggestions from this group if possible.

                              A friend has become the administrator of a small facility that has
                              various colonial buildings including a farm house and (important
                              here) an herbal garden. She has offered me the opportunity to do a
                              series of classes based on the herbal garden during the tourist
                              season. I don't know any details about the place but intend to visit
                              some time this winter. She has said they will plant anything I want
                              as well. Each class is to be two hours and the participants should be
                              able to go away with something they made. She wants me to teach all
                              of them as that's easier on their paperwork. I'm jumping at this
                              chance as a way of adding to my income but also to learn and do more
                              with herbals. I'm hopping to come up with a group of proposals to
                              take to her so planning can be made easily. A few suggestions from
                              her are soap making, vinegars, poupouries or scented pillows maybe,
                              and this one I found on the internet while searching for something
                              else:

                              *Tea Party- Wed. Dec.4, 7-9pm - Select, blend and brew your own
                              special tea formula from an assortment of teas, herbs and spices.
                              Enjoy a tasting with goodies provided. A festive event and a great
                              gift idea.

                              Any other ideas? classes you may want to take? or an expansion on
                              these? I especially don't know anything about soap making but the
                              opportunity is just to good to let it slip.

                              Thanks all, I appreciate all this.

                              Rhianwen
                            • collette
                              Message 14 of 16 , Dec 16, 2002
                                don't forget the dye pot
                                candymaking
                                cooking with herbs

                                From: Linda Krecker-Schkred <rhianwen@...>
                                Date: Mon, 16 Dec 2002 10:29:16 -0500

                                  Message 16 of 16 , Dec 17, 2002
                                    In a message dated 12/16/02 11:42:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
                                    rhianwen@... writes:

                                    > Any other ideas? classes you may want to take? or an expansion on
                                    > these? I especially don't know anything about soap making but the
                                    > opportunity is just to good to let it slip.

                                    Since I'm willing to bet (and I'm not a gambler!) that this site isn't
                                    medieval, it opens up possibilities. My favorite is to make lavender wands --
                                    the main drawback being getting enough lavender spikes for the project. I've
                                    got directions in my files somewhere, let me know if you want them.

                                    Jo Anne (since Johanna just spreads her lavender between the linens ...)