Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Categories: Guild/Competitions

  • JustMiketoo@aol.com
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 5, 2000
      jenne@... writes:

      <<
      Here's some suggested categories for a competition or a guild... let me
      know what you think:

      Cooking/Food: herbs used in cooking
      Brewing/Vinting, etc. of herb wines, beers, and cordials.
      Dyeing with herbs
      Gardening/Growing herbs
      Period Medical Herbalism
      Comparative Herbology (European, Arabic, Indian, Japanese, Native
      American, etc.)
      Scents/Perfume

      Can anyone else suggest some? >>

      I would add
      Herbal Cosmetics
      would Scents/Perfume include Potpourri, Sachets and Pomanders ?
      Should Herbal Vinegars be in cooking ?
      Wildcrafting ?

      Miketoo :)>.
      You might be a redneck if ....
      Your tablecloth was delivered by the paper boy
    • Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 10, 2000
        On Wed, 5 Apr 2000 JustMiketoo@... wrote:
        > Herbal Cosmetics
        > would Scents/Perfume include Potpourri, Sachets and Pomanders ?

        Yes. We could make it Cosmetics and Scents?

        > Should Herbal Vinegars be in cooking ?

        Probably. The use of aromatic vinegars for scent purposes (appears to be)
        largely post-period.

        > Wildcrafting ?

        Hm.. Interesting question. I'd be inclined, if I understand it properly,
        to put Wildcrafting in with Gardening.
        Now, how do we judge 'Gardening'? It's a little difficult to pick up your
        garden and bring it in, eh?

        Here's my idea. It's based on something academics do at conferences,
        called a 'Poster Session'. The idea is similar to an exhibition, but what
        you bring are handouts and 'posters' with layouts, photographs, etc. as
        well as any objects (potted plants, sample plants, etc. that you wish to
        bring along and use for your display. These could be attended (in that we
        set aside an hour or so when the gardeners/wildcrafters hang out
        with their display and people simply come by, look at your posters
        and ask questions) or unattended (you set up your poster/display and
        people wander by at their own sweet will, perhaps coming to find you at
        some point if they have questions, or writing down questions on pads of
        paper for that purpose.)

        What do you think?

        PS here's another category I left out that we will need for an
        herbs/apothecaries-only competition: allied arts. Illustration.
        Toolmaking. Etc. Related to the above.

        "Apathetic bloody planet, I've no sympathy at all."