Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: eczema

  • kaytlyn@juno.com
    Message 1 of 16 , Oct 1, 2002
      Thanks to everyone with suggestions--I will track down those items and
      give them a try 8)

      kaytlyn
    • Suhayma@cox.net
      Message 2 of 16 , Oct 2, 2002
        I would be very interested in your outcome with this experiment.  I have
        a daughter with eczema and don't like putting all those chemicals on her
        skin.

        Kaytlyn  (BTW--I am in the Barony of Windhaven - Northshield)

        On Mon, 30 Sep 2002 19:39:44 -0400 Paquerette <paquerette@...>
        writes:
        > SilverLoon2001@... wrote:
        > >
        > >     Congratulations, Ennoguent, on making your first bruise balm!
        > It sounds
        > > as if you correctly diagnosed most of your problems -- cheesecloth
        > (several
        > > layers), bringing the oil back up to temp before working in the
        > waxes (I
        > > usually stir shaved wax into the oil on the stovetop -- if it
        > cools too much
        > > the water bath comes back on to rewarm it).  When I have managed
        > to put an
        > > insufficient quantity of wax in my salves I usually scrape it all
        > back into
        > > the pan, reheat and add more wax.  Perhaps that will work for your
        > lumpiness.
        > >  Otherwise, think of it as giving character! <grins>
        > >
        > >     Keep up the good work!
        > >
        > > Gennevote / Linda.
        >

        > Thank you! Yes, I think I prefer character to extra work. It seems
        > work well enough like this, according to at least one fighter.
        >
        > My next idea is a dry skin balm. I have lavendar, and I was thinking
        > of
        > maybe rosemary, calendula, comfrey? I have heard of all of these
        > being
        > put in various commercial dry skin concoctions, not sure how well
        > they
        > work. I suspect that most lotions and things don't work well for me
        > because of the alcohol, not the botanicals involved. But I'd like to
        > know what other people have used, and what the period answers to dry
        > skin were.
        >
        > Ennoguent.

        > SCA-Herbalist disclaimer: This list is primarily for discussion of
        > medieval
        > and renaissance herbalism and herbalism in the SCA. Please verify
        > any health
        > information in other sources and/or with a qualified health
        > professional.

        > [Email to SCA-Herbalist-unsubscribe@egroups.com to leave this list]
        >
        > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to
        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • Gwen Kelly
        Message 3 of 16 , Oct 2, 2002
          --- Silver Moon <fullsilvermoon@...> wrote:
          If you can get a hold of Emu oil it is the best thing for dry skin.

          OK... I'll bite... Where would I get Emu oil?

          I'm thinking San Diego Wild Animal Park... an Emu is the least
          intellegent bird known to man. Though I hear they're good eating.
          Like Ostrich.

          Gwen

          http://sbc.yahoo.com
        • Paquerette
          Message 4 of 16 , Oct 2, 2002
            Gwen Kelly wrote:

            > --- Silver Moon <fullsilvermoon@...> wrote:
            > If you can get a hold of Emu oil it is the best thing for dry skin.
            >
            > OK... I'll bite... Where would I get Emu oil?
            >
            > I'm thinking San Diego Wild Animal Park... an Emu is the least
            > intellegent bird known to man. Though I hear they're good eating.
            > Like Ostrich.
            >
            > Gwen

            Awww! But emus are just too cute to eat!

            I would consider emu oil if it's something one puts on an emu, but I
            have this sneaking suspicion that it comes from doing something violent
            to the emu...

            Ennoguent, who cannot eat meat for at least a week after going to the
            county fair or petting zoo.
          • Silver Moon
            Message 5 of 16 , Oct 3, 2002

              I am not sure about where you are, but just about 40 miles from us there is an Emu farm.  They sell eggs, meat, the leanest meat is on emu which is very expensive tho.  And they sell the oil as well, feathers ect. Check on the net.  I know they are really to cute.

              Lady Cerridwen Ravenhawk
              Of the McLean Family
              Canton of Lionsdale
              >From: Paquerette
              >To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
              >Subject: Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Re: balms
              >Date: Wed, 02 Oct 2002 18:07:51 -0400
              >
              >Gwen Kelly wrote:
              > >
              > > --- Silver Moon wrote:
              > > If you can get a hold of Emu oil it is the best thing for dry skin.
              > >
              > > OK... I'll bite... Where would I get Emu oil?
              > >
              > > I'm thinking San Diego Wild Animal Park... an Emu is the least
              > > intellegent bird known to man. Though I hear they're good eating.
              > > Like Ostrich.
              > >
              > > Gwen
              >
              >Awww! But emus are just too cute to eat!
              >
              >I would consider emu oil if it's something one puts on an emu, but I
              >have this sneaking suspicion that it comes from doing something violent
              >to the emu...
              >
              >Ennoguent, who cannot eat meat for at least a week after going to the
              >county fair or petting zoo.

            • Silver Moon
              Message 6 of 16 , Oct 3, 2002

                There is a lady here and she has a booming business she sells, home made soaps, oils, etc. Busye bodye naturals.  busyebodye@... is her email.  Very reasonable price.  She is also on Ebay and sells there.

                Lady Cerridwen Ravenhawk
                Of the McLean Family
                Canton of Lionsdale