Re: [SCA-Herbalist] where?

  • newbrg@aol.com
    Message 1 of 38 , Oct 1, 2002
      In a message dated 9/30/02 2:27:06 AM Eastern Daylight Time, pjc2@...
      writes:

      > I am the co-Cultivator of the Barony of Sundragon branch of the Atenveldt
      > Herbalist Guild.

      What a great job title! Jadwiga, Carowyn, how did we overlook this one?

      Johanna
      Chronicler, East Kingdom Herbalists and Apothecaries Guild
      Shire of Coill Tuar (Hudson valley, New York)
      interests: anyone else into herbaria?
      This year I was lucky to stay in the same place by running as fast as I
      could, but I've tried most things at least once -- gardening, "book
      herbalism," making balms and oils, dying, potpourris. I don't cook much these
      days, though.
    • Krys Jeffrey-Wagner
      Message 38 of 38 , Oct 4, 2002
        Lets see, here are a few ways to use the plants:

        >>>SELF HEAL:  is a great herb for wounds, cleaning them and stopping the bleeding.  Also you can use it as a very weak gargle for bleeding gums, mouth inflammations and sore throats.

        >>>MARSHMALLOW:  the root is good powered in a paste, mixed with water as a poultice for skin inflammations.  It can also be made into an ointment for wounds or to help draw splinters.

        >>>AGRIMONY:  A poultice of leaves has been known to relieve migraines and as a wash can be used for wounds, sores, eczema and varicous ulcers.

        >>>WOOD BETONY:  fresh ground leaves/stems good in poultices for wounds and bruises.  Makes a good mouth wash/gargle for mouth ulcers, gum inflammations and sore thorats.

        >>>VERVAIN:  I have heard it can be good for insect bites, sprains and bruises, but I have never used it.  I have used it in an ointment for wounds and weeping sores on horses.

        >>Toothache Plant: a friend gave me one and swears by it for toothaches by chewing the leafs.  Haven't tried it yet.  Just keeping it alive and away from the snails is keeping me busy.

        Aricia Jehane