Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Lanolin, I'm onto something!!!!

  • Carrie Ulshafer
    Message 1 of 24 , Aug 29, 2002
      I would definately be interested in seeing this
      article, can it be found online somewhere? Might also
      be able to decipher, as I have done a few other pieces
      of this nature too.

      Ldy Galla

      --- "Steven H. Mesnick" <steffan@...> wrote:
      > Alywn wrote:
      > >
      > > Is there anyone out there who can a) get a copy of
      > the following article
      > > and b) read French well enough to decipher it?
      > > "Physico-chemical analysis of an ointment dating
      > from the 13th-14th century
      > > by Jung L, Metais MC, Bachoffner P.
      > > Ann Pharm Fr. 1972
      > Mar;30(3):205-10. French. No
      > > abstract available."
      >
      > I'd get in touch with my local pharmacy-school
      > library; they'd likely be
      > able
      > to help, although I wouldn't be surprised if a fee
      > were involved,
      > especially
      > for a non-alumnus/student.
      >
      > Then I'd just pipe the thing through Babelfish and
      > I'd surely get
      > something close enough to decipher.
      >
      > Steffan ap Kennydd
      > Steve Mesnick, RPh
      >
      > --
      > "Crausi sumus!"
      >
      > "Quid dicis, te clausus esse? Apertio magna est!"
      >
      > "Crausi sumus! Nos ravatorium siccum nunc! Nunc i,
      > tu!"

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • JENNIFER A. HEISE
      Message 2 of 24 , Sep 25, 2002
        Did someone eventually get a copy of this article?

        > Pubmed. It's a medical journal search engine. I can order the article
        > from them for some outrageous price, but I'm hoping to find someone with
        > interlibrary loan who can get it more reasonably. The hit came from
        > lanolin, historical or medieval. There wasn't an abstract available.
        > Avacyn
        >
        > >Hoo, boy! My French is good enough to translate SOME things (including
        > things
        > >textile-related) but not things scientific! Where did you find the
        > reference?
        > >
        > >Johanna
        > >
        > >In a message dated 8/18/02 2:03:52 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
        > >avacyn@... writes:
        > >
        > > > s there anyone out there who can a) get a copy of the following article
        > > > and b) read French well enough to decipher it?
        > > > "Physico-chemical analysis of an ointment dating from the 13th-14th
        > >century
        > > > by Jung L, Metais MC, Bachoffner P.
        > > > Ann Pharm Fr. 1972 Mar;30(3):205-10.
        > French. No
        > > > abstract available."
        > > >
        > > > It supposedly documents the use of lanolin in a medicinal oinment
        > from a
        > > > period source!! My entire French vocabulary is limited to maybe 5
        > words.
        > > > Thanks for any help!!!!
        > > > Avacyn, obsessing on lanolin
      • Alywn
        Message 3 of 24 , Sep 25, 2002
          Not yet, I'm waiting patiently. There is no interlibrary loan where I live so I had to ask a gentle in another town to get it for me. I'm still waiting. I'll let people know when it arrives!!
          Avacyn

          >Did someone eventually get a copy of this article?
          >
          >> Pubmed. It's a medical journal search engine. I can order the article
          >> from them for some outrageous price, but I'm hoping to find someone with
          >> interlibrary loan who can get it more reasonably. The hit came from
          >> lanolin, historical or medieval. There wasn't an abstract available.
          >> Avacyn
          >>
          >> >Hoo, boy! My French is good enough to translate SOME things (including
          >> things
          >> >textile-related) but not things scientific! Where did you find the
          >> reference?
          >> >
          >> >Johanna

          >> >century
          >> French. No

          >> from a
          >> words.

          If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened
          by conformity stays down for good.
          --Thomas J. Watson
        • sue walker
          Message 4 of 24 , Sep 26, 2002

            We have a gentle in our Shire who is a native French speaker, and he's offered to help with translation. What is the article again? Perhaps I can find it here.

            Ealdgyth

             Alywn wrote:

            Not yet, I'm waiting patiently.  There is no interlibrary loan where I live so I had to ask a gentle in another town to get it for me.  I'm still waiting.  I'll let people know when it arrives!!
            Avacyn

            Do you Yahoo!?