Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Containers, jars, bags etc in period questions...

  • Carrie Ulshafer
    Message 1 of 15 , Aug 29, 2002
      I am newer to the list, but may have some books to
      help. I will look through them these next couple days
      and see what I can dig up with reference listings for
      ya! ;)

      Ldy Galla

      --- ilythiadoula <jacquelynsmith@...> wrote:
      > Good morrow,
      >
      > I am currently beginning to research how herbalists,
      > specifically
      > midwives, would keep their herbs and concoctions.
      > Would the
      > loose herbs be wrapped in fabric? Are syrups put in
      > jars? What
      > colour jars? Which shape? Would I have a box full of
      > remedies to
      > take to a birth? A bag? Do my ointment pots have
      > cork lids? How
      > big are they? These are a few of the questions that
      > I am starting
      > to look into.
      >
      > If anyone has a direction they might suggest I would
      > really
      > apprectiate it!
      >
      > In service,
      >
      > Beatrice Fraser
      > S. Giles College, An Tir

      http://finance.yahoo.com
    • Cindy M. Renfrow
      Message 2 of 15 , Aug 30, 2002
        Hello! I'm new to this group & have been lurking for a few days.

        I recently found this recipe in Liber Cure Cocorum (N. English dialect, in
        verse, c. 1440) that describes drying and storing herbs in pastry "coffins":

        To keep herb[3] over [th]e wyntur.
        Take floure and rere [th]o cofyns fyne,
        Wele stondande withouten stine;
        Take tenderons of sauge with owte lesyng,
        And stop one fulle up to [th]o ryng;
        [th]enne close [th]o lyd fayre and wele,
        [th]at ayre go not oute never a dele,
        Do so with saveray, percil and rewe;
        And [th]enne bake hom harde, wel ne[3]e brende;
        Sythun, kepe hom drye and to hom tent;
        [th]is powder schalle be of more vertu,
        [Th]en opone er[th]e when hit gru.

        85. To keep herbs over the winter.
        Take flour and raise then coffins fine,
        Well standing without stint;
        Take young shoots of sage without picking,
        And stop one full up to the ring [rim];
        Then close the lid fair and well,
        That air go not out never a part,
        Do so with savory, parsley and rue;
        And then bake them hard, well nigh burnt;
        Then, keep them dry and to them attend;
        This powder shall be of more vertue
        Than upon earth when it grew.

        Regards,

        Cindy Renfrow
        cindy@...
        Recipes"
        http://www.thousandeggs.com

        >I am currently beginning to research how herbalists, specifically
        >midwives, would keep their herbs and concoctions. Would the
        >loose herbs be wrapped in fabric? Are syrups put in jars? What
        >colour jars? Which shape? Would I have a box full of remedies to
        >take to a birth? A bag? Do my ointment pots have cork lids? How
        >big are they? These are a few of the questions that I am starting
        >to look into.
        >
        >If anyone has a direction they might suggest I would really
        >apprectiate it!
        >
        >In service,
        >
        >Beatrice Fraser
        >S. Giles College, An Tir

      • Krys Jeffrey-Wagner
        Message 3 of 15 , Aug 31, 2002
          Me too....I would love to down load that for the library.

          Aricia jehane
          Message 4 of 15 , Sep 2, 2002

            Thanks,

            Yes, the website is old because I have tried to email info. and it bounced back.  I am going to get right on this.

            Thanks

            Lady Cerridwen

            Bright Blessings
            SilverMoon
            >From: "Jacquie S."
            >To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
            >Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] An Tir Herbal Guild info... (was Containers, jars, bags etc in period questions...)
            >Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 15:40:06 -0700
            >
            >Good afternoon,
            >
            >Here is the current information on the An Tir Herbal Guild, directly
            >from this month's Crier:
            >
            >Guildmistress Lady Thera von Villach (Yvonne Brown) ay1221@...
            >One year's subscription to An Tir's Best Dirt is available for $10
            >US bi-monthly from the Guild Exchequer: HL Diana of Madrone contact
            >Sheryl.Lux@...
            >
            >Web Site: http://www.rainweaver.com/Herbal_Guild
            >
            >There is also a Yahoo group for the Kingdom guild:

            >Hope this helps. The website information looks a wee bit old, so I
            >do not know if it's current. I'm not active in the guild yet myself.
            >
            >In service,
            >
            >Beatrice.
            >
            >>Beatrice I will get back to you later on the midwive info, but
            >>first we have a lady on the site that lives in An Tir and can't
            >>find anyone in your herbalist guild. She is really interested in
            >>joining it. All I have are old copie of their newsletter and the
            >>contact info is not good anymore. Could you please post the
            >>contact info for the An Tir Herbalist Guild for her and maybe other
            >>An Tiran's that can't get conected?

          • Munson,Jennifer N.
            Message 5 of 15 , Sep 3, 2002
              Beatrice wrote:

              > I am currently beginning to research how herbalists, specifically
              > midwives, would keep their herbs and concoctions. Would the
              > loose herbs be wrapped in fabric? Are syrups put in jars? What
              > colour jars? Which shape? Would I have a box full of remedies to
              > take to a birth? A bag? Do my ointment pots have cork lids? How
              > big are they? These are a few of the questions that I am starting
              > to look into.

              A couple of years ago on Ebay I ran into an auction which was for a jar that
              was supposed to be a 16th C. Italian Apothecary jar. I couldn't afford it
              but loved the jar so much I saved one of the pictures of it to use as my
              computer's desktop image. I just uploaded it to the "Photos" area of the
              SCA-herbalist Yahoo site if you'd like to see it.

              AnneLiese

              +
            • Jacquie S.
              Message 6 of 15 , Sep 3, 2002
                AnneLiese,

                Wow! That's a beautiful jar. Thanks so much for posting the picture.
                Do you remember how much it went for on Ebay? I'm just curious.

                Here is a link to Julia Smith's pottery. She makes 17th and 18th
                century reproductions (and some of her work was in The Crucible). She
                has several ointment jars for sale, though not as elaborate as the
                picture you posted, but still some very nice items:

                http://www.juliasmith.com/smallpots.htm

                Thanks again,

                Beatrice.
              • Munson,Jennifer N.
                Message 7 of 15 , Sep 4, 2002
                  Beatrice wrote:
                  > Wow! That's a beautiful jar. Thanks so much for posting the picture.
                  > Do you remember how much it went for on Ebay? I'm just curious.

                  No, I believe I kept myself from looking at it after I saved the pictures
                  for fear I'd give in to tempatation.

                  > Here is a link to Julia Smith's pottery. She makes 17th and 18th
                  > century reproductions (and some of her work was in The Crucible). She
                  > has several ointment jars for sale, though not as elaborate as the
                  > picture you posted, but still some very nice items:
                  >
                  > http://www.juliasmith.com/smallpots.htm

                  Oooh, pretty! Too bad I don't see anything before 1600... I guess Delftware
                  wasn't "known" until after 1600.

                  AnneLiese, part-time pottery afficianado

                  +
                • lord_aharon_of_talkon
                  Message 8 of 15 , Sep 13, 2002
                    --- In SCA-Herbalist@y..., "Munson,Jennifer N." <munsonjn@a...> wrote:

                    > Oooh, pretty! Too bad I don't see anything before 1600... I guess
                    Delftware
                    > wasn't "known" until after 1600.
                    >
                    > AnneLiese, part-time pottery afficianado

                    Hi there...I'm sort of a lurker on here. I'm a professional potter
                    and have studied ceramics for about 4 years. "Delftware" is another
                    word for Maiolcia, which is very much in period. Your example (a
                    beautiful one) is considered maioloica (my spelling is horrible, I
                    apologize) and was probably either made in Italy.

                    The Getty in Los Angeles has an extensive collection of these sorts
                    of jars, rounder ones and tall...I THINK online they have pictures of
                    some of them.

                    Anyhow, I thought I would pop on when I saw the comment. There are a
                    number of potters in the SCA that will gladly do reproductions of
                    these pieces. My laurel, Master Hroar Stormgengr would probably be
                    able to make some or even I could. Just contact me offline if you
                    need any further information.

                    Sorry if this sounds like an advertizement...I didn't mean it to be.
                    Please email me privately, I don't check this board very often.

                    Thanks!

                    --Lady Artemisia di Serena, Caid