Where to start?!?

  • wihlow
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 12, 2002
      I have always been interested in the effect of mixing different
      ingredients. Chemistry was always a little too sterile.
      Cooking...ahhhh....as much as I love cooking, it's not something that
      I want to do on a large scale. Herbalism seems to sit quite nicely
      since my mother is a nurse and she herself says that most of the old
      natural remedies still work just as well or better than some of the
      newer antibiotics. Is there any way someone could point me in the
      direction to get started in? I live in a very small town and don't
      have the resources of a larger city.
    • nancy wagaman
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 19, 2002

        Wihlow--

          Books, the library,  "book stores" on-line, to start to get a general knowledge about some herbs, then venture out into medicinal ones if that's what you're interested in. Actually right now you're sitting at an excellent resource, there is LOADS of info available on-line.  Then, what kind of climate do you live in?  Would you be able to grow things in your area, or do you live in the desert maybe? Investigate your possibilities.

          Don't worry about being in a small town. Lots of good stuff happens in small towns. Small towns connect to the internet too!

        Ann Sarasin

        >From: "wihlow"
        >To: SCA-Herbalist@yahoogroups.com
        >Subject: [SCA-Herbalist] Where to start?!?
        >Date: Mon, 12 Aug 2002 21:29:32 -0000
        >
        >I have always been interested in the effect of mixing different
        >ingredients. Chemistry was always a little too sterile.
        >Cooking...ahhhh....as much as I love cooking, it's not something that
        >I want to do on a large scale. Herbalism seems to sit quite nicely
        >since my mother is a nurse and she herself says that most of the old
        >natural remedies still work just as well or better than some of the
        >newer antibiotics. Is there any way someone could point me in the
        >direction to get started in? I live in a very small town and don't
        >have the resources of a larger city.

      • Jenne Heise
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 31, 2002
          > I have always been interested in the effect of mixing different
          > ingredients. Chemistry was always a little too sterile.
          > Cooking...ahhhh....as much as I love cooking, it's not something that
          > I want to do on a large scale. Herbalism seems to sit quite nicely
          > since my mother is a nurse and she herself says that most of the old
          > natural remedies still work just as well or better than some of the
          > newer antibiotics. Is there any way someone could point me in the
          > direction to get started in? I live in a very small town and don't
          > have the resources of a larger city.

          There are about a million ways to get started, all depending on what
          direction you want to take. I've got some web pages with links and a
          bibliography that may help:

          http://www.lehigh.edu/~jahb/herbs/herbs.html

          Do you want to do beauty recipes? Medical stuff? Housekeeping stuff? Food
          (after all, the theory of humors means that food IS medicine)? Perfumes?
          What piques your interest? Do you want to grow stuff, or just mix it
          together?

          "She believed that if a thing was worth doing, it was worth doing
          badly, at least until someone got fed up watching her do it badly
          and took it away and did it properly, thank you very much."