Re: OOOH! Me TOO!! was [SCA-Herbalist] newbie intro

  • Alywn
    Message 1 of 20 , Jul 31, 2002
      I'd love to see anyone's recipes!
      Ava

      >I'd like to see some of your recipes and documentation. I do these kind
      >of medicinals all the time with modern preparations, but I have no idea
      >what would be period.
      >
      >I need some inspiration.
      >
      >Treasach
      >who has been asked personally by her Baroness to produce something for the
      >Knowne Worlde A&S and is still racking her brain for ideas.
      >>

      >>Oh, look, a bandwagon.... :o)
      >>
      >>Much happiness to all of you today!
      >>
      >>My name is THL Cicilia McRegan, and I am the Seneschale of the Incipient
      >>Shire of Evensong Forest, located in Gleann Abhann, Meridies, and proud
      >>to be apprenticed to Mistress Angela O'Hara of the Barony of Small Gray Bear.
      >>
      >>I am interested in learning all I can about becoming an herbalist. My
      >>biggest accomplishment to date was a spearmint project for Kingdom Arts
      >>and Sciences, including spearmint tincture, headache remedy, bug bite
      >>balm, "mad dog bite" cure, and two or three other things. My stuff fixed
      >>four headaches and two bug bites on site!
      >>
      >>But I want to learn more. Much, much more. As a matter of fact, I am
      >>looking for a new project to work on for entry for the upcoming A&S and
      >>was wondering if anyone had any ideas.
      >>
      >>I work on a university campus, and we have a wonderful library. I have
      >>checked out Gerard's Herbal so many times, and I am always looking for
      >>new herbals to read.
      >>
      >>So, I am proud to be part of this list, and welcome hearing from all of you.
      >>
      >>Best,
      >>Cicilia

    • Tracey Steele
      Message 2 of 20 , Aug 1, 2002
        Thanks for asking! :o)

        When I get some time, I will send my recipes.  Can anyone add things to the "Files" section?

        Cicilia

        Message 3 of 20 , Aug 22, 2002
          Alwyn, I have also run into the Midrealm restrictions, but never was
          able to get those two lists (forbidden and restricted). If you still
          have access to those lists, could you post them here or even add them
          to the group files? I think everyone here would find those lists
          interesting.

          Thanks again for your input.

          Lady Feilimidh Dearfoghail
          Midrealm

          --- In SCA-Herbalist@y..., Alywn <avacyn@w...> wrote:
          > In Middle Kingdom you can't. It is forbidden by Kingdom rules.
          The
          > application of the rule is very strict. There are also a list of
          herbs
          > which are absolutely forbidden to be entered. Some of these herbs
          are
          > things like Mandrake. Others are harmless things like nettles
          (which
          > apparently someone thinks might have gotten them sick at some point
          and
          > time.) I went to look into how medicinal was defined, I was told
          > thusly: you can't make for competition or enter in any competition
          > anything which is to be taken internally for the purpose of
          treating an
          > illness. You can however make and enter things which may be
          applied
          > topically as long as none of the ingredients are from the forbidden
          > list. There is a second list of herbs which are restricted. That
          means if
          > you use them in any competition entrance, you have to PROMENENTLY
          display
          > your ingredient list.
          >
          > I was told to think of the difference between a prescription and a
          first
          > aid cream. I can't give you pencillin for your illness, but I can
          give
          > you a chickweed poultice for fever, a pillow full of hops and
          valarian to
          > help you sleep. etc. How picky they get depends on who is
          judging. One
          > judges medicinal is anothers first aid. Makes it hard. I make my
          own
          > verse of a bruise cream (actually I think of it as a general first
          aid
          > cream since it wonderful for dry itchy skin) and have never gotten
          any
          > negative feedback on it.
          >
          > Avacyn, who grouses about this all the time

        • Alywn
          Message 4 of 20 , Aug 22, 2002
            Prohibited Herbs List for the The Middle Kingdom Arts and Sciences Faire
            Judging Criteria
            The following herbs are either prohibited or restricted for use in the
            Middle Kingdom Arts and Sciences Faire. If an herb is prohibited, it may
            not be used in any beverage, foodstuff or herbal entry. Use of the
            prohibited herbs will automatically disqualify an entry. If an herb appears
            on the restricted list, it must be used with caution and its presence must
            be noted prominently in the documentation or the entry will be
            disqualified. This is not an exhaustive list of herbs that could
            potentially cause difficulties, so all herbs must be specifically listed in
            the documentation by their botanical names.

            Prohibited Herbs - Do Not Use.

            Aconitum napellus (Monkshood)
            Aethusa cynapium (Dog Poison)
            Anagallis arvensis (Red Pimpernel)
            Apocynum androsaemifolium (Dogbane)
            Arisaema triphyllum (Jack-In-The-Pulpit)
            Artemisia absinthium (Wormwood)
            Atropa belladonna (Belladonna)
            Bryonia alba (White Bryony)
            Bryonia dioica (Red Bryony)
            Cannabis sativa (Marijuana)
            Caulophyllum thalictroides (Blue Cohosh)
            Chelidonium majus (Celandine)
            Chenopodium ambrosioides var. Anthelminticum (Wormseed)
            Cinchona spp. (Jesuits' Bark)
            Claviceps purpurea (Ergot)
            Conium maculatum (Poison Hemlock)
            Convallaria majalis (Lily Of The Valley)
            Corydalis cava (Corydalis)
            Cyclamen europaeum (Cyclamen)
            Cytisus scoparius (Scotch Broom)
            Daphne mezereum (Mezereon)
            Datura stramonium (Jimson Weed)
            Digitalis purpurea (Foxglove)
            Dryopteris filixmas (Male Fern)
            Gelsemium sempervirens (Yellow Jessamine)
            Helleborus foetidus (Stinking Hellebore)
            Helleborus niger (Hellebore)
            Helleborus viridis (Green Hellebore)
            Hyoscyamus niger (Henbane)
            Linaria vulgaris (Yellow Toadflax)
            Lobelia inflata (Lobelia)
            Mandragora officinarum (European Mandrake)
            Mercurialis perennis (Dog's Mercury)
            Paeonia officinalis (Peony)
            Podophyllum peltatum (American Mandrake)
            Phoradendron flavescens (Mistletoe)
            Phytolacca americana (Pokeweed)
            Sanguinaria canadensis (Bloodroot)
            Solanum dulcamara (Bittersweet Nightshade)
            Solanum nigrum (Deadly Nightshade)
            Spigelia marilandica (Pinkroot)
            Taxus baccata (Yew)
            Thuja occidentalis (Arborvitae)
            Urtica dioica (Stinging Nettle)
            Varonicastrum virginicum (Black Root)
            Veratrum viride (American Hellebore)

            Restricted Herbs - Use With Caution.

            Arctostaphlos uva-ursi (Bearberry)
            Buxus sempervirens (Boxwood)
            Cimicifuga racemosa (Black Cohosh)
            Euonymus atropurpureus (Wahoo)
            Galega officinalis (Goat's Rue)
            Hedeoma pulegioides (American Pennyroyal)
            Heracleum lanatum (Masterwort)
            Ilex aquifolicum (English Holly)
            Ilex opaca (White Holly)
            Ilex vomitoria (Emetic Holly)
            Ledum palustre (Marsh Tea)
            Leonurus cardiaca (Motherwort)
            Lycopodium clavatum (Club Moss)
            Melilotus officinalis (Yellow Sweet Clover)
            Mentha pulgeium (European Pennyroyal)
            Oxalis acetosella (Wood Sorrel)
            Rhamnus frangula (Buckthorn)
            Ricinus communis (Castor Bean)
            Ruta graveolens (Rue)
            Sambucus canadensis (American Elder)
            Sambucus racemosa (Red Elder)
            Sisymbrium alliaria (Hedge Garlic)
            Vaccinium Myrtillus (Bilberry)

            >Alwyn, I have also run into the Midrealm restrictions, but never was
            >able to get those two lists (forbidden and restricted). If you still
            >have access to those lists, could you post them here or even add them
            >to the group files? I think everyone here would find those lists
            >interesting.
            >
            >Thanks again for your input.
            >
            >Lady Feilimidh Dearfoghail
            >Midrealm

            "Enthusiasm is the element of success in everything. It is the light that
            leads and the strength that lifts people on and up in the great struggles
            of scientific pursuits and of professional labor. It robs endurance of
            difficulty, and makes pleasure of duty."
            --Bishop Doane
          • Alywn
            Message 5 of 20 , Aug 22, 2002
              Growing ingredients yourself shouldn't be awarded any extra points. Yes,
              it was period. But so was buying herbs for use. I'm in the process of
              getting some documentation on the cultivation of herbs for sale (I've read
              the article abstract and are now waiting for the article to come in) and on
              the marketing practices of herbs (ditto). It was perfectly period to buy
              plants that didn't grow in your area (assuming they were available). Folks
              in cities could go to the apothecary or spice merchant or traveling wagons
              and purchase whatever dried herbs they wanted for their homes. Chances are
              if you lived in a city in England this was your sole method of obtaining
              herbs that grew in say bogs or deep woods or say Spain (for ex.) There are
              a couple of period herbals pre-Gerard that show plants in their dried
              state. This was because that is how you were most likely to see the ones
              that didn't grow in your immediate area. What made Gerard so special was
              that his herbal protrayed herbs as they grew in the wild.

              Giving extra points for growing your own herbs is equal to punishing people
              who don't have access to gardens. I know one lady who's apartment
              restrictions don't even allow her to have real potted plants! (Plants
              have to be fake!) In my opinion, it's unfair and has nothing to do with
              periodocity. (If that's a word!) I don't grow anything that would be
              consumed or applied to the skin here, because they go around in trucks and
              have planes fly over and spray pesticides. (Nope, you get NO choice! I've
              been outside when the truck went buy and had to come in and shower!) After
              the last spraying, I had an aquarium go belly up and it was in the house,
              in a room with the window closed. (But it was right under the window. My
              other 4 aquariums didn't suffer. Thank the Goddess!)

              The judging criteria here Mid has a built in assumption that the judges
              will try the whatever.
              Avacyn (my opinion, worth what you paid for it)

              >Lady Feilmidh: This is just a smart rule. I have not run into anything
              >like it in the West Kingdom, but its not a bad idea. I got laureled (as
              >it was said jokeing) for Herbalism for knowing how to poison someone in
              >134 different ways and in a period manner! The awful fact is that I do
              >know how and unfortunately it isn't that hard. I have never met a group
              >of folk so prone to allerigic reactions and medicinal unresponsibility
              >than in the SCA. Some one could have a reaction to Feverfew if they are
              >allergic to Mums!! There is such a wide variety of plants and things to
              >use that are topical/external with the restrictions you face in truth
              >aren't too bad. But you must alway list your ingredients (I have a bruise
              >ointment/oil that takes 42 different plants) and add "DO NOT TAKE THIS
              >INTERNALLY" or "FOR EXTERNAL USE ONLY" or simply (for fighters Ha!) "DO
              >NOT DRINK THIS STUPID!!" . Here We judge on ingredients and
              >presentation and documentation. Just because you enter it, dosen't mean
              >the judges need to try it. In fact they really shouldn't. Also I give
              >extra points for the use of "period Names" for the herbs instead of the
              >mundane today names and if you grew the ingredients yourself.
              >
              >Good luck.
              >
              >Aricia Jehane

              "Enthusiasm is the element of success in everything. It is the light that
              leads and the strength that lifts people on and up in the great struggles
              of scientific pursuits and of professional labor. It robs endurance of
              difficulty, and makes pleasure of duty."
              --Bishop Doane
            • Krys Jeffrey-Wagner
              Message 6 of 20 , Aug 22, 2002

                Message 7 of 20 , Aug 23, 2002
                  Thanks for this list.  It is a good one. I am going to keep it and give it to guild members.  Herbalism is on the rise in popularity here again and we need to set these guilde lines.  I will also forward with onto all the Principality and Kingdom A/S ministers.

                  Aricia

                  Message 8 of 20 , Aug 23, 2002
                    Alwyn: you misunderstand my statement regarding "growing your own stuff."  This would be in the documentation and often used as the tie breaker here.  Lots of folk may make great looking things...their presentation is good...their ingredients are right...but the documentation is extremely limited ie: list what its for and whats in it.  To me, and many others, the documentation should have alot more and we are trying to teach that part (this goes for other types of A/S entries).  It is getting better.  I often relate the three way tie we had many years ago in a competition where in the winners documentation she stated that she went to the Apothecary on such and such street and procured several ingredients she needed to add to her remedy and she described how the Apothecary measured and packed each ingredient she bought.  That and how she related her step by step procedures to make the remedy was extremely interesting.
                     Gerard was out of my price range until my husband found out how much I wanted one and ordered it for my birthday.  I am very interested in Near East and Middle Eastern Herbals, etc. and wish I could find more than I have.

                    Aricia Jehane

                    Message 9 of 20 , Aug 23, 2002
                      Sorry for the misunderstanding. Herbcrafting here in Northshield is new in
                      terms of there just aren't many people doing it. What we are getting are
                      judges that don't have a clue about herbcrafting. I've seen a couple of
                      very nice projects with great documentation dunned for reasons, that in my
                      opinion they shouldn't have been. Generally wildcrafting and growing herbs
                      are given higher points in the authenticity catagory apparently on the
                      assumption that medieval folks didn't buy herbs. So I saw that and got
                      jumpy. Sorry.
                      Avacyn (Avacyn is my SCA name, Alywn is a name that sooo many people know
                      me by because of D&D and pagan activities, I've given using Dianna. My
                      husband last night said "You'll always be Keeley to me." - referring to
                      the SCA name I was using when he met me. I'm not a multiple personality,
                      but I'm pretty sure I could play one in the movies.)

                    • Tracey Steele
                      Message 10 of 20 , Aug 23, 2002
                        <Snippage>

                        > Gerard was out of my price range until my husband found out how much
                        > I wanted one and ordered it for my birthday.

                        Number 1. HOORAY for you! :o) Mine is on order and while I await its'
                        arrival, I save pennies.

                        > I am very interested in Near East and Middle Eastern Herbals, etc.
                        > and wish I could find more than I have.
                        >
                        > Aricia Jehane

                        Number 2. HERE HERE! I am looking for the exact kind of things. I
                        mean, my persona is Celtic, yes, but I have worn nothing but Middle
                        Eastern costume and done nothing but ME research for five years now. I
                        am learning herbalism, but after I get the basics down, I really REALLY
                        want to do more focus on Near and ME Herbals.

                        Glad to find a kindred spirit!
                        Cicilia

                        =====
                        Tracey

                        http://finance.yahoo.com
                      • Krys Jeffrey-Wagner
                        Message 11 of 20 , Aug 24, 2002
                          No Problem...Email is great, but it will never surpass the spoken word for
                          discussions in my book. I started the Herbalist Guild here around 7 years
                          ago. On the original charter we had almost 100 signatures, which is pertty
                          good for a principality guild. But things ebbed and slowed, people got the
                          big LIFE and the most we did for quite a few years consisted of giving gifts
                          to the Princesses at every Investiture and an occasional class at a Kingdom
                          Collegium or like I did for my sister who just stepped down as Queen of the
                          West, herbal gifts to take to Pennsic. I even gave the guild away twice and
                          when they stopped even doing the gifts to the royals I took it back. We
                          have now moved into a house where I have a greenhouse, hugh herb beds and a
                          temporary still room in our garage. I also had to quit work due to my
                          disabilities and started really finishing my studies ie: certs for Medical
                          Professional in Alternative Medicines, etc. I now have the computer to do
                          the web site and the place to do classes away from events. Here we have so
                          much more we can do when not limited by gardens, stoves, running water... I
                          also have 4 very interested and hardworking apprentices to help me with
                          anything I can't physically do. I figure if I can get one person truly into
                          herbcrafting I have done my job..that and to keep people with chronic pain
                          problems from becoming OTC/Prescription drug addict. Here now if I only get
                          one student to a class, its ok because I didn't have to pay site insurance
                          or pay for a site! No money lost. But I know what you mean....we have lots
                          of folk who dabble a tiny bit with herbs ie: dyeing or cooking, but not alot
                          else. I am still trying to impress some people with the fact that you never
                          wildcraft next to a highway or busy road due to exhaust fumes and stuff
                          polluting the plants!

                          As far as I know I am the only Aricia in the SCA. It was my grandmothers
                          middle name and goes way back in the family as tradition. Even mundanely
                          people rarely call me by anything other than that. There are so many Krys's
                          around it gets confusing. Hey nothing wrong with Multiple Personality
                          disorder... you never will get lonely..right! (Ha!) Anyway I think all of
                          us in the SCA are a little (in some cases alot) off the center.

                          Message 12 of 20 , Aug 24, 2002
                            Same Personna range.....I used my true nationality so that no one could say you can't wear middle eastern and european.  As soon as I find anything I will let you know.  I am going thru a large stack of PHD work at Univ. California/Sacramento right now and I am in touch with members of local Islam literature group, so hopefully something will pan out.  I also am a senior scribe here in the west and have several copies of very interesting Middle eastern medical manuscripts.  I have had some leads in looking into Medieval Spain...you know before the sharp scientists/doctors and architects were run out.

                            More later

                            Aricia Jehane

                            > Gerard was out of my price range until my husband found out how much
                            > I wanted one and ordered it for my birthday.

                            Number 1.  HOORAY for you! :o)  Mine is on order and while I await its'
                            arrival, I save pennies.

                            > I am very interested in Near East and Middle Eastern Herbals, etc.
                            > and wish I could find more than I have.
                            >
                            > Aricia Jehane

                            Number 2.  HERE HERE!  I am looking for the exact kind of things.  I
                            mean, my persona is Celtic, yes, but I have worn nothing but Middle
                            Eastern costume and done nothing but ME research for five years now.  I
                            am learning herbalism, but after I get the basics down, I really REALLY
                            want to do more focus on Near and ME Herbals.

                            Glad to find a kindred spirit!
                            Cicilia

                            =====
                            Tracey

                            http://finance.yahoo.com

                          • Magnus Hedemark
                            Message 13 of 20 , May 10, 2004
                              I am new to the list and to all things SCA. Saw a fighting demo at a town
                              fair over the weekend and found a local group to get involved with.

                              I live in a very urban setting. No yard, no patio, nothing outdoors that
                              I could grow a garden in. But I have a huge storefront window and among
                              some vegetables I also grow basil, rosemary, peppermint, chamomille,
                              raspberries
                              (unsure of how well that is going to work indoors but my wife enjoys the
                              fruit and I like to use the leaves in infusions). There are some more
                              windows upstairs which I'd like to add some additional species to.

                              I'm of course interested in some of the old time remedies that may still
                              hold up today. Of course some of the things that used to be used like
                              tansy are now known to be poisonous. Others like yarrow have scientific
                              evidence disproving their traditional uses. But what remedies are still
                              holding up? That's the kind of thing I came here to learn.

                              --Magnus