Re: [SCA-Herbalist] Evil grass purists

  • Darcy Sholts
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 2 7:19 PM
      Greetings from the Pacific Northwest!
      Your lawns sound IDENTICAL to my lawn! In fact, the mystery purple
      flowers (not the violets, which abound too) are spreading from their
      usual discreet tiptoing along the fence clear into the middle. Now I
      admit I have a postage stamp sized lawn but there are lots more things
      besides grass in it! I was hoping someone would figure out their name
      too.

      We have a newly chartered herbal guild in the Barony of Stromgard (An
      Tir) and this is my first list foray, if you want to put it that way.

      Happy Spring. Darcy (Roswitha the Saxon)

    • Jim and Andi Houston
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 2 8:22 PM
        I have narrowed them down to some sort of Labiatae variation, which is all
        square stemmed plants. Anybody gotten any closer?

        Madrun

        Robin wrote:

        > >> Ahhhhh, someone after my own heart. Do you also wait to
        > >> mow your grass until after the dandelions have gone through
        > >> first bloom? My sweetie will look at the yard and say wow
        > >> that grass is high, and I'll say yeah, but the flowers are
        > >> so nice. So he doesn't cut it until about the first
        > >> weekend in April.
        > >>
        > >> Our yard is mostly ground ivy, violets, dandelions and that
        > >> square stemmed purple flower anyway. With all the little
        > >> flowers and the trees blooming it looks like a water
        > >> color......if you squint! hee hee ;0)
        > >>

        > >You sound like you are looking at my back yard! Hey- I have those
        > purple
        > >things too, I think! Where do you live? They are square stemmed, with
        > the
        > >leaves in whorls (they look like lemon balm leaves only smaller) and
        > the
        > >tiny purple flowers come out between the leaves? They spread by
        > stolons? At
        > >least, I think they are called stolons, the long stems that trail
        > around?
        > >Anybody know the name of these plants?
        > >
        > >Madrun
        >
        > Wow, folks after my own heart - I love the violets and danelions in
        > the
        > spring, and hate to see them cut too soon - which happens every couple
        > of
        > seasons when the lawn guy gets too ambitious. :-)
        >
        > And, I think I have those same little purple flowers with the square
        > stems
        > - if so, the friend who gave me cuttings called them "bee weed"
        > That's the
        > best I've been able to do on a name. For geographical reference,
        > we're in
        > Nebraska. (Yes, I planted the stuff deliberately - had some bare
        > spots and
        > on my friend's advice I used the purple stuff to fill in quickly -
        > worked
        > wonders too, and it's still going strong years later. Much prettier
        > than
        > grass, and sturdier to boot.)
        >
        > Returning to lurk mode,
        > Tamarra
        >
        > -------
        > LOW RATE, NO WAIT!
        > Get a NextCard Visa, in 30 seconds! Get rates
        > as low as 2.9% Intro or 9.9% Fixed APR and no hidden fees.
        > Learn more at:

      • Darcy Sholts
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 4 6:55 PM
          "JustMike" -- there is a kingdom herbal guild in An Tir (Washington,
          Oregon, parts of Idaho and Canada); sounds like you live in the Inlands
          Region. Stromgard is in Southwest Washington. For more info you can
          access the An Tir website at antir.sca.org. Happy browsing.