(Fwd) : MInt Drink

  • Bob & Nancy Upson
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 3, 1999
      Greeting,
      My mint crop is in for the year. I am looking for the recipe for the
      "Mint Drink", I can not spell the real name nor will I try.

      Thank you in Advance
      Hilken

      _____
      ALL WYVERN HALL SCA LISTS ARE MOVING TO ONELIST.COM
      CURRENT SUBSCRIBERS WILL BE TRANSFERRED
      AUTOMATICALLY
      YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED WHEN IT IS TIME TO SWITCH OVER

      Copyright (C) 1999 Wyvern Hall. All rights reserved.
    • Jenne Heise
      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 3, 1999
        From Cariadoc's Miscellany:

        "Sekanjabin

        Dissolve 4 cups sugar in 2 1/2 cups of water; when it comes to a boil add
        1 cup wine vinegar. Simmer 1/2 hour. Add a handful
        of mint, remove from fire, let cool. Dilute the resulting syrup to taste
        with ice water (5 to 10 parts water to 1 part syrup). The
        syrup stores without refrigeration.

        Note: This is the only recipe in the Miscelleny that is based on a modern
        source: A Book of Middle Eastern Food, by Claudia
        Roden. Sekanjabin is a period drink; it is mentioned in the Fihrist of
        al-Nadim, which was written in the tenth century. The only
        period recipe I have found for it (in the Andalusian cookbook) is called
        "Sekanjabin Simple" and omits the mint. It is one of a
        large variety of similar drinks described in that cookbook-flavored syrups
        intended to be diluted in either hot or cold water
        before drinking."

        On Tue, 3 Aug 1999, Bob & Nancy Upson wrote:

        > From: "Bob & Nancy Upson" <wyvern@...>
        >
        > Greeting,
        > My mint crop is in for the year. I am looking for the recipe for the
        > "Mint Drink", I can not spell the real name nor will I try.
        >
        > Thank you in Advance
        > Hilken

        > _____
        > ALL WYVERN HALL SCA LISTS ARE MOVING TO ONELIST.COM
        > CURRENT SUBSCRIBERS WILL BE TRANSFERRED
        > AUTOMATICALLY
        > YOU WILL BE NOTIFIED WHEN IT IS TIME TO SWITCH OVER
        >
        > Copyright (C) 1999 Wyvern Hall. All rights reserved.

        > ONElist now has T-SHIRTS!
        > For details and to order, go to:
        > http://www.onelist.com/store/tshirts.html

        Jadwiga Zajaczkowa (Shire of Eisental), mka Jennifer Heise
        jenne@...
        "in verbis et in herbis, et in lapidibus sunt virtutes"
        (In words, and in plants, and in stones, there is power.)
      • DeeWolff@xxx.xxx
        Message 3 of 3 , Aug 3, 1999
          From "An Anonymus Andalusian Cookbook of the Thirteenth Century"
          Syrup of mint:
          Take mint and basil,citron and cloves, a handful of each, and cook all this
          in water to cover, until its substance comes out, and add the clear part of
          it to a ratl of sugar. The bag: an uqiya of flower of cloves, and cook all
          this until a syrup is made. Its benefits: it frees bodies that suffer from
          phlegm, and cuts phlegmatic urine, fortifies the liver and stomach and cheers
          it a great deal; in this it is admirable

          1 Ratl = 12 uqiyas= 468.75 grams= about a pound
          1 uqiya=39 g=1 1/3 ounces=7 teaspoons

          Hope this helps!
          It is very good....
          Andrea, Ostgardr