RE: Digest Number 10

  • Laura Krutul
    Message 1 of 2 , Nov 6, 1999
      Greetings,
      For several years now, I have been successfully turning my poinsettias. By
      exposing them only to natural daylight and no artificial light, they are
      colorful by Christmas.
      You need a room that gets natural sunlight, but is not used much after
      dark. I have a shelf in the spare bedroom just for poinsettias. They are
      kept in front of the window so they get the sun's rays during the day, and
      no light at night (unless we have guests). By exposing them only to the
      natural cycle of light and dark, they turn.
      My Grandmother was always successful in turning them by putting them in her
      root cellar during the fall months, and bringing them out in time for
      Christmas, all red and blooming. Since I do not have a root cellar, I've
      never tried this myself.

      In Service,
      Baroness Laurenne des Vitraux

      From: "Nancy Upson" <nancy@...>

      _______
      _______

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 14 Oct 1999 12:34:37 -0400
      From: "Nancy Upson" <nancy@...>
      Subject: poinsettia

      Dear Herbalists,
      I know this is not an herbal question, but a lot of you are
      gardeners. I have a lovely poinsetta the I was able to save from last
      Christmas, but it is all green. Does any one know how to force the
      red leaves for the season?

      Thanks in advance
      Hilken Von Dresdan

      _______
      _______
    • Nancy Upson
      Message 2 of 2 , Nov 6, 1999
        Dear Baroness,

        Thank you for the pointsettia advice. I will try it. I hope it works . I
        have managed to keep them alive this year.

        Hilken Von Dresdan