Evil grass purists

  • Motheleuco
    Message 1 of 10 , Apr 1, 2000
      >Violets press very well, we have them EVERYWHERE here,
      >they are almostconsidered a pernicious weed by those evil
      >grass purists. My 2 year old eatsdandelions!!Madrun

      Ahhhhh, someone after my own heart. Do you also wait to
      mow your grass until after the dandelions have gone through
      first bloom? My sweetie will look at the yard and say wow
      that grass is high, and I'll say yeah, but the flowers are
      so nice. So he doesn't cut it until about the first
      weekend in April.

      Our yard is mostly ground ivy, violets, dandelions and that
      square stemmed purple flower anyway. With all the little
      flowers and the trees blooming it looks like a water
      color......if you squint! hee hee ;0)

      http://im.yahoo.com
    • Medb ingen Brain
      Message 2 of 10 , Apr 2, 2000
        I've been wanting to make a tincture from dandelion roots, however, I read
        somewhere to wait till fall to do this, but, I'm impatient. Has anyone else
        made dandelion tincture and is fall really the best time?
        Medb

      • Jim and Andi Houston
        Message 3 of 10 , Apr 2, 2000
          I've been wanting to make a tincture from dandelion roots, however, I read
          somewhere to wait till fall to do this, but, I'm impatient. Has anyone else
          made dandelion tincture and is fall really the best time?
          Medb

          Yes, Autumn really is the best time. The reason is that during the growing
          season the roots are putting all of their energy into the tops of the
          plants, but in the late Fall the roots are storing everything, so you get
          the greatest concentration of "juice."

          You sound like you are looking at my back yard! Hey- I have those purple
          things too, I think! Where do you live? They are square stemmed, with the
          leaves in whorls (they look like lemon balm leaves only smaller) and the
          tiny purple flowers come out between the leaves? They spread by stolons? At
          least, I think they are called stolons, the long stems that trail around?
          Anybody know the name of these plants?

          Madrun

          Message 4 of 10 , Apr 2, 2000
            medbingenbrain@... writes:

            << I've been wanting to make a tincture from dandelion roots, however, I read
            somewhere to wait till fall to do this, but, I'm impatient. Has anyone else
            made dandelion tincture and is fall really the best time?
            Medb >>
            the Dandelion roots are very much more bitter in the fall, so yu know It
            has different chemicales in it

            Miketoo :)>
            Marino Malerba shot a stag on an overhanging cliff, and was killed
            instantly when the dead stag fell on him.
          • Robin
            Message 5 of 10 , Apr 2, 2000
              At 09:50 AM 4/2/00 -0500, you wrote:

              >> >Violets press very well, we have them EVERYWHERE here,
              >> >they are almostconsidered a pernicious weed by those evil
              >> >grass purists. My 2 year old eatsdandelions!!Madrun
              >>
              >> Ahhhhh, someone after my own heart. Do you also wait to
              >> mow your grass until after the dandelions have gone through
              >> first bloom? My sweetie will look at the yard and say wow
              >> that grass is high, and I'll say yeah, but the flowers are
              >> so nice. So he doesn't cut it until about the first
              >> weekend in April.
              >>
              >> Our yard is mostly ground ivy, violets, dandelions and that
              >> square stemmed purple flower anyway. With all the little
              >> flowers and the trees blooming it looks like a water
              >> color......if you squint! hee hee ;0)
              >>

              >You sound like you are looking at my back yard! Hey- I have those purple
              >things too, I think! Where do you live? They are square stemmed, with the
              >leaves in whorls (they look like lemon balm leaves only smaller) and the
              >tiny purple flowers come out between the leaves? They spread by stolons? At
              >least, I think they are called stolons, the long stems that trail around?
              >Anybody know the name of these plants?
              >
              >Madrun

              Wow, folks after my own heart - I love the violets and danelions in the
              spring, and hate to see them cut too soon - which happens every couple of
              seasons when the lawn guy gets too ambitious. :-)

              And, I think I have those same little purple flowers with the square stems
              - if so, the friend who gave me cuttings called them "bee weed" That's the
              best I've been able to do on a name. For geographical reference, we're in
              Nebraska. (Yes, I planted the stuff deliberately - had some bare spots and
              on my friend's advice I used the purple stuff to fill in quickly - worked
              wonders too, and it's still going strong years later. Much prettier than
              grass, and sturdier to boot.)

              Returning to lurk mode,
              Tamarra
            • ziegenlieb@aol.com
              Message 6 of 10 , Apr 2, 2000
                Most common ones to be running into lawns are ground ivy (Glechoma
                hederacea), Self-heal (Prunella vulgaris) and Red Deadnettle (Lamium
                purpureum)
                Pat in OR
              • newbrg@aol.com
                Message 7 of 10 , Apr 3, 2000
                  In a message dated Sun, 2 Apr 2000 11:49:07 PM Eastern Daylight Time, "Jim and Andi Houston" <kobol@...> writes:

                  << I have narrowed them down to some sort of Labiatae variation, which is all
                  square stemmed plants. Anybody gotten any closer?

                  Madrun

                  The one that fits the bill here in New York is ground ivy/creeping charlie/that darn weed. I'm told it was used to flavor beer before hops came into fashion

                  Johanna
                • Aelfwyn@aol.com
                  Message 8 of 10 , Apr 3, 2000
                    In a message dated 4/3/00 2:28:01 PM Pacific Daylight Time, newbrg@...
                    writes:

                    << creeping charlie/that darn weed >>
                    Now that's what I remember it being called in New Jersey. Here in Maine it's
                    usually "that purple stuff".
                    Aelfwyn
                  • JustMiketoo@aol.com
                    Message 9 of 10 , Apr 3, 2000
                      chloethecat@... writes:

                      << Greetings from the Pacific Northwest!
                      Your lawns sound IDENTICAL to my lawn! In fact, the mystery purple
                      flowers (not the violets, which abound too) are spreading from their
                      usual discreet tiptoing along the fence clear into the middle. Now I
                      admit I have a postage stamp sized lawn but there are lots more things
                      besides grass in it! I was hoping someone would figure out their name
                      too.

                      We have a newly chartered herbal guild in the Barony of Stromgard (An
                      Tir) and this is my first list foray, if you want to put it that way.

                      Happy Spring. Darcy (Roswitha the Saxon) >>

                      Hi Darcy
                      I am new to the SCA (not even a member yet) but have a long time
                      interest in herbs and wild plants, I too am in the Northwest, Central
                      Washington near Ellensburg. I live on 20 acres of hillside
                      and my lawn has more sagebrush then grass. What should I be
                      doing to get into the Herbal Guild and where is The Barony of Stromgard?

                      Message 10 of 10 , Apr 4, 2000
                        Thanks to all for responding about dandelion root tincture. I will be
                        patient and wait till the fall.